Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What are you reading?

• 10-05-2013 7:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

In the Sci-Fi and Fantasy forum there's a dedicated thread for this, so I thought I'd start one for here too. Here we go.

Am approximately 34% into The Shining by Stephen King. Am only really reading it because I just know I'm going to regret it if I don't when Doctor Sleep comes out later this year. Not too different from the movie so far from what I can remember, but I've heard the ending in the novel differs somehow. Won't be too long finding out now anyway.

So, over to you then...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭buttonteaser

iv read some richard laymon books.
    the cellar
    the woods are dark
    beast house
    darkness tell us to name a few reads. so weird some gory but all scary enough.

i also read a book called darkfall by a little known author called stephen laws. this one is pretty scary, tense at times and very original. great read

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gufnork

Hooray... someone else posted!

Recently read The Axeman Cometh by John Farris, which I only read because the author insists you can only get the best out of it by reading it all in one session. With hindsight, I suspect this may well have been a marketing ploy at the time since I found nothing in it that wouldn't have worked equally well by reading it as-and-when I felt like. In the end it was only really an OK type of story. A little disappointing in that respect really.

just looked up the info on it. might give it a read some time. i wont even try reading it in one session now though :)

Just looked up the review I wrote for goodreads for The Axeman Cometh and I seem to have liked it more than I thought. It's not much of a review and very short, so here it is in case you're interested,
    Not quite sure why this is supposed to be read in one sitting. I did this but could have quite happily had the same experience reading it over several sittings. Anyway, it was well written, just ever so slightly strange in places, but not nearly as weird as I was led to believe.

It is a very good read. Much better in fact than I was expecting it to be, but if I were recommending it to others to read, I'd skip all the hype I've seen in other reviews and in fact at the beginning of the book itself and simply read it when and how you would normally do with any other book, because when all's said and done, it really is just another book. Well written and interesting. I liked it.

I'd read more of his stuff.

Yes, I'll have to go look at some reviews of his other books and try some more.

iv read some richard laymon books.
    the cellar
    the woods are dark
    beast house
    darkness tell us to name a few reads. so weird some gory but all scary enough.

i also read a book called darkfall by a little known author called stephen laws. this one is pretty scary, tense at times and very original. great read

Also, I meant to say, I've read the Beast House trilogy too. Thought it was great. I now really want to read some more Richard Laymon. He's definitely one of my favourites.

• Advertisement

yeah hes excellentall hallows ever & darkness tell us are 2 of my favourites. dean koontz is pretty good too although i havent read as many of his

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Tindie

I am reading Destination Zero David McIntee second book in Final Destination book series

and also reading Looks Could Kill Nancy A. Collins fifth Final Destination book series.

Have just started Ghost Story by Peter Straub. I've been meaning to read it for ages since it nearly always seems to get extremely good reviews. Am only 7% in and already the various characters are intriguing.

Tindie wrote: »
    I am reading Destination Zero David McIntee second book in Final Destination book series

and also reading Looks Could Kill Nancy A. Collins fifth Final Destination book series.

I didn't realize there were novelizations of those movies. I love a good novelization. Might have to add them to my to-read list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Tindie

gufnork wrote: »
    I didn't realize there were novelizations of those movies. I love a good novelization. Might have to add them to my to-read list.

There not connected to movie series also all Five Book are by different authors

There have their own plots.

• Advertisement

Had to give up on 'Ghost Story', the first chapter was very promising but then it just descended into several chapters of tedium. Have started on 'The Safety of Unknown Cities' by Lucy Taylor now which is a novel I've been dying to read for ages now. Also about to start the uncut version of 'The Woods Are Dark' by Richard Laymon.

Well, 'The Woods Are Dark' was great. I'm looking forward to tucking into more Richard Laymon. 'The Safety of Unknown Cities' started very well but seems to be descending into a bit of an S&M-fest and at the 65% mark is beginning to become a bit of a chore. I'll reserve judgment until I've finished though because I've waited so long to read it.

Lined up next is one of Dean Koontz novels or possibly 'Off Season' by Jack Ketchum.

just finished midnights lair by richard laymon. wasnt one of the best. the build up took way too long, it wasnt the usual gore fest.

also house by ted dekker is a really good read.

Oh man! I am so depressed after having finally finished 'The Safety of Unknown Cities'. Never have I longed for a book to be over before as much as I did this one. I actually do feel really, 'properly' depressed now.

I've decided to read 'Tick Tock' by Dean Koontz next, mainly because it's supposedly a more light-hearted book he wrote after having just finished a particularly bad(horror-heavy?) one, or so I've heard anyway. Sounds like just what I need at the moment.

I actually kind of regret reading that other one. It was that bad...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 5,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭spooky donkey

I just finished `Skin` by Mo Hader and am reading `in the shaddows of whitechapple ` by Marta K Robberts...

Have started Doctor Sleep. Is very good so far. The first 10% was exceptional with the next 10% not far behind. Highly recommended so far, long way to go yet though.

Have read a few horrors over the past few weeks. Doctor Sleep, which turned out to be a bit of a disappointment, although I couldn't help but relate it to 'The Shining' so that probably didn't help. It simply wasn't a patch on it's predecessor. Would have been ok if it hadn't been so hyped as the sequel so much. Still worth a read, just don't expect it to be anywhere near the same league as 'The Shining.'

Tick Tock was enjoyable as a bit of throw-away goodness. Is recommended if you're looking for a no brainer or a quick fun bit of popcorn type reading. Not to be taken too seriously.

Am currently reading another Dean Koontz, 'Phantoms' which has a great eerie atmosphere which is something I feel epitomizes a good horror novel. Am about 1/3 the way through so far and am really enjoying it.

Think I'm going to go for either Bentley Little, Richard Laymon or another Dean Koontz next. I'm edging towards Richard Laymon.

Advertisement