Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Penney's Carry On Suitcase

• 10-08-2013 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi,
    I'm just wondering if anyone has bought the newest carry on suitcase from Penney's? It comes in either black or cream and has a quilted design on the front with a bow?
    I'm asking because I wanted to buy one to bring on a Ryanair flight but I've been burned by Ryanair before for the bag I had not fitting into their measuring device.

Has anyone bought one and brought it on Ryanair? would love to know before I bought one,

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Why don't you measure it in store and see if it fits the guidelines?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Nicola123

Yeah I did that with my last bag and it was within guidelines but they claimed it wasn't so I was just trying to find out if anyone had some first hand experience with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Size rules include wheels and handles. People often just measure the bag part. With Ryanair it often depends on who you meet at the gate but if you're within the dimensions you've nothing to worry about

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Teagwee

Take a measuring tape into the store and measure it at the widest/longest points - it's important to include wheels and handles as someone else has already said. Don't take the label's word for it and make sure you have the very latest size guidelines from the Ryaniar site.
    It's also vital not to overfill the bag if it stretches in any way at all - you should measure again after you've filled it and adjust accordingly. You'd be surprised how much some bags expand and Ryanir is far from forgiving for this. I've seen people having to dump stuff at the airport to make the bag fit, proving the point about stretching.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to the Travel forum

dudara

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭clumsyklutz

I think measuring would be the best way to go, depending on the flight you're on (how full etc.) the staff tend to try and catch you out in order to make their money for not selling out. The joys of flying on Ryanair! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Don't forget that the bags size is based on its dimensions when it is empty. That includes any pockets at the front of the bag. If you buy the bag & the front to back measurement is right on the borderline of the restriction, don't put anything bulky in those front pockets. It is very tempting to just cram them with stuff that you think you'll need, but if you do, you will make the front of the bag bulge out. It will then be over the front to back/width requirement and, it won't fit into either the metal cage, or cardboard box measuring yoke. I think that is where a lot of people whose bag was ok size wise when they bought it, get into trouble at the gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Nicola123

Thanks for all the help.

Advertisement