Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leaving Cert Music Practical

• 28-09-2010 10:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Howdy all. I was wondering what sort of pieces people play on guitar for their practical/ I need to get a good scope on my levels in comparison to other's.

Advice is much appreciated

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

This is roughly what I have planned but I might swap one or two pieces for something more challenging if I can.

Muse - Man Of Mystery (Might change this to something more technical)
    The Beatles - Blackbird
    The Mars Volta - Asilos Magdalena
    Beethoven - Moonlight Sonata Mvt. 1 (I'm still unsure about this one)

(I'm only playing 4 because I'm choosing Music Technology as well.)

I'm not completely sure of what standard they are looking for, I still have to go through my pieces with my music teacher. I feel they're decent though.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Eoin MurMur

So far the only piece I'm certain about playing is "schism" by Tool except without distortion. It's hard to pick because only playing rhythm is boring but only playing lead will sounds a bit dead so picking something that's both rhythmic yet technically impressive is important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 mcgovern56

They seem like good pierces to me, similiar standard to what I was thinking anyway but slightly difference genre of music I I'd be playing the more "hill billy" style of guitar. Will you be using acoustic for all songs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Well I think I'll probably bring my electric and use a clean/acoustic setting on it because personally I find it easier to play. Probably use a bit of distortion on Man Of Mystery because it's that kind of track. I think I'll be using a backing track on that song too because it sounds too bare on it's own. You are allowed use backing tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

From what our teacher's telling us simple is often best. You can be as technical as you like but once you have the examiner smiling and tapping their foot to something they recognise you're on a winner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

My cousin did music and got an A1, she totally bought into the simple idea. Did jazz, classical and theme tune on piano and then traditional and her own pieces on accordion. She said once they enjoy it and you look comfortable and like you are enjoying it you're away with it. A girl in her class did some really tough pieces but was stressed, didn't do as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

So far i know i'm only playing, Ladies night - Preston Reed (google it) And i also intended to play some jazz improv over a backing track aswell, cause that looks good i guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 bluemusic97

well lads, doing my leavin cert music practical next april, think ill do four marked on singing and four marked on guitar, as my teacher says ive a good voice but my guitar teacher thinks id be sorted playing the guitar, so far for the guitar i can play a couple of tunes, landslide by fleetwood mac, blackbird by the beatles, universe and you by kt tunstall, i want you back jackson5, im yours jason mraz, hey soul sister by train, im learning under the bridge by the red hot chili peppers, mr brightside, and then like a few tunes thats are much too simple for the practical but like id just like some other different songs that i could be practising so i have a wide variety to choose from. somthing with a bit of difficulty, the songs that i dont choose to play on guitar o will probably use for the singing, but if you know songs that would suit an alto vocal range please dont hesistate to suggest some new artists!!! thanks all advice is greatly appreciated..

Advertisement