Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PhD Studentship

• 24-07-2013 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭

Hiya fellow geeky Guys and gals, I've recently been browsing bioscience related jobs (graduated biomedical science there from DIT) and have come across a position advertised as a PhD studentship in the trinity biomedical science institute in the grounds of St James's.

I was wondering if anyone knows where i can go about finding more info on Phd studentships like this, i believe have an idea of what it would entail but any discussion is appreciated.

Many thanks
    Ronan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭cgc5483

Ronanc1 wrote: »
    Hiya fellow geeky Guys and gals, I've recently been browsing bioscience related jobs (graduated biomedical science there from DIT) and have come across a position advertised as a PhD studentship in the trinity biomedical science institute in the grounds of St James's.

I was wondering if anyone knows where i can go about finding more info on Phd studentships like this, i believe have an idea of what it would entail but any discussion is appreciated.

Many thanks
    Ronan

The best person to tell you what it entails would be the project supervisor. Would just email them.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Ronanc1

I've emailed the project supervisor but have not got any response as of yet, just a couple of queries to open a dialogue, i'm a little hesitant to ask too much for fear they might view me as lacking the basic knowledge of how these studentships work which might then effect me if or when i apply! As i said i've a decent idea of the work involved but not the specifics of PhD studentships themselves ie stipends, working hours, etc

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Have you discussed the details with other persons currently on related PhD studentships? They can be very informative in an informal way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭WhirlEsme

Black Swan wrote: »
    Have you discussed the details with other persons currently on related PhD studentships? They can be very informative in an informal way.

Agreed! But maybe try meet with the PI as well, as at the end of the day, they're the boss. The reason they may not have replied to your inquiry may be that they're currently on holidays or very busy (conferences, etc.). Thus, meeting them in person might be best. Otherwise, does the studentship description have a line "please direct all informal inquiries to X"? If so, see f you can make contact with this individual (more than likely this may be the PI though).

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Ronanc1

Thanks for all the responses guys, i'll definitely be getting some answers soon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭oconnoao

Without knowing the details its hard to give info, but generally if a PhD studentship is advertised they will have funding to give you a stipend (€16000-20000 a year for 3 or 4 years) plus your fees paid. Sometimes they may only have part funding so it could be lower.

The working hours vary depending on the supervisor/work ethic in the group. I know some people who do crazy hours but most treat it as a full time job.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

oconnoao wrote: »
    Without knowing the details its hard to give info, but generally if a PhD studentship is advertised they will have funding to give you a stipend (€16000-20000 a year for 3 or 4 years) plus your fees paid. Sometimes they may only have part funding so it could be lower.

The working hours vary depending on the supervisor/work ethic in the group. I know some people who do crazy hours but most treat it as a full time job.

Best of luck!

My stipend was sadly only €12000, full time. There were many doing a Phd with me on the same amount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭WhirlEsme

sarumite wrote: »
    My stipend was sadly only €12000, full time. There were many doing a Phd with me on the same amount.

Wow! Who's your funding group sarumite, that's pretty low. I hope you have a fee waiver at least :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

WhirlEsme wrote: »
    Wow! Who's your funding group sarumite, that's pretty low. I hope you have a fee waiver at least :confused:

Thankfully its over, I finished my PhD last year. I wasn't the only person on that either. Although we did get a fee waiver, I did have to pay write up fees in the 4th year.

Advertisement