Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Back to education allowance 2013/2014

• 04-08-2013 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I have applied for back to education allowance for this September. I have been signed on for the required amount of time and am over 21 so I qualify for it in that way. However, I have 4 weeks of part time casual work (2 days a week) at the moment, which I will finish 2 weeks before I start college.

I am just feeling quite apprehensive that this work might in some way disqualify me from the allowance. Does anyone have any experience with the back to education allowance? Or, has anyone applied for this year that has heard back yet?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

As far as I can recollect, your part time job shouldn't matter as long have you have the required total days.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Molly1210 wrote: »
    I have applied for back to education allowance for this September. I have been signed on for the required amount of time and am over 21 so I qualify for it in that way. However, I have 4 weeks of part time casual work (2 days a week) at the moment, which I will finish 2 weeks before I start college.

I am just feeling quite apprehensive that this work might in some way disqualify me from the allowance. Does anyone have any experience with the back to education allowance? Or, has anyone applied for this year that has heard back yet?

Thanks.

I too have applied for btea and have heard nothing back,applied middle of july.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Molly1210

I too have applied for btea and have heard nothing back,applied middle of july.

That's somewhat reassuring that it's not just me !

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭ifeelill

As long as you are in receipt of a social welfare payment you will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

BTEA is normally done as a joblot in the offices. Its easier to do it that way than one at a time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I was informed that the applications were done in bulk after they have received letters from the college approving registration to correspond with the BTEA applications. My local office told me not to even bother handing in a form until I had a registration letter to go with it, because it wouldn't be looked at until I was registered.

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    I was informed that the applications were done in bulk after they have received letters from the college approving registration to correspond with the BTEA applications. My local office told me not to even bother handing in a form until I had a registration letter to go with it, because it wouldn't be looked at until I was registered.

You can still apply now and then the SW will send you a letter asking for college registration.

ifeelill wrote: »
    You can still apply now and then the SW will send you a letter asking for college registration.

Oh I know, but my SW office wouldn't let me - told me to wait until I was registered. I don't mind really, only takes a week or two and I don't start for a month after registration

Most likely to cut down on the admin work, i can't see any other reason for it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Are people still waiting on letters from college with start dates then, so it's not just me?! I recently moved and gave the college my new address but was a bit worried that they still sent the letter to my old address.Have my BTEA forms filled in but no point sending it til I have a registration letter. Was advised to apply for BTEA at the beginning of August at the latest though, in case the process takes a while!

• Advertisement

rawn wrote: »
    Are people still waiting on letters from college with start dates then, so it's not just me?!

Contact the colleges Students Union they will be able to direct you to the person/department who is sending the letter and they will inform you if the letter has been sent, when i started college i got my letter towards the end of August, but different colleges have different procedures and schedules for these types of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Is the reg letter the letter you get when you pay your fees ya?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 TheTott

Im going to ucd in september and applied for BTEA last week. Any hope of me getting it on or near my start date? (8th of sept)

TheTott wrote: »
    Im going to ucd in september and applied to BTEA last week. Any hope of me getting it on or near my start date? (8th of sept)

For me one week i was getting Job seekers Benefit, the next week i was getting BTEA there was no break in payment. But you know how it goes with government departments if you fall through the cracks.

The important thing is if there are any disruptions in payments then get on to the SW office that is issuing you the BTEA as soon as possible

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Anyone hear anything back yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hello,
    I applied for BTEA through the Hanover St. SWLO in Cork last Friday and I got my acceptance letter this morning. When I applied, I provided them with the email that the CAO sent me to confirm that I had accepted my course, and this seemed to be sufficient. The BTEA acceptance letter that I got this morning states that they will pay me from 16th September (when my course starts) but if I don't provide a letter from my college confirming that I have registered and the end date of the course by the 4th October, then they will discontinue the payment. So the decision not to accept a BTEA application until the applicant is fully registered with the college is at the discretion of the individual SWLO rather than an overall policy. The best way the find out is to go in and ask.
    Oh, I also work 2-3 days a week and it wasn't a problem.

I got a letter this morning saying I had been accepted onto the scheme but no other info was given,it also says I must give them written confirmation that I am registered as a full time day student,I thought I already gave them that :s nothing about payment dates or anything.

it also says I must give them written confirmation that I am registered as a full time day student,I thought I already gave them that :s nothing about payment dates or anything.

Once you start college you need to get a letter of registration and give this to the social welfare.

I just got a letter from my college to go register on August 28th, I assume class would start in a week or two after, would that be enough time to apply for BTEA? Or would the letter I got suffice?

ifeelill wrote: »
    Once you start college you need to get a letter of registration and give this to the social welfare.

I gave them my reg letter though,that's the letter you get when you pay your fees ya?

• Advertisement

I gave them my reg letter though,that's the letter you get when you pay your fees ya?

Yep, a letter to say you have officially registered, after fees are paid. You will also, in my experience, need a letter to say when you start attending college officially, so they know when to switch you to BTEA.

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Yep, a letter to say you have officially registered, after fees are paid. You will also, in my experience, need a letter to say when you start attending college officially, so they know when to switch you to BTEA.

Should I have gotten two letters today so?

Should I have gotten two letters today so?

I think the second letter is sent out after registration

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭stacexD

I applied in March and got the letter saying i was accepted last week.

I'd sent in the statement I got when I paid my fees with the course and start date on it but at the bottom of the acceptance letter it says I must provide them with a letter from either the registrars or admissions office only

I just got a letter from my college to go register on August 28th, I assume class would start in a week or two after, would that be enough time to apply for BTEA? Or would the letter I got suffice?

Bring the letter of registration and not a letter to say that you are going to register. The SW people can be pretty picky about what they can and can't accept. So best to give them what they asked for.

No you don't need to have paid your fees in order to get a letter of registration. You can just ask for one. Think about it, a lot of students were getting grants as well as getting BTEA, so when the whole SUSI system broke down last year a lot of those students weren't able to pay their fees.You only have to ask for a letter from the college that you are a registered student

I have to wait till registration day to get the letter ?

Looks like it, yeah. My registration day is August 28th, and I assume classes start at the beginning of September so will I not be paid BTEA or JA til the SWO processes my form?

Looks like it, yeah. My registration day is August 28th, and I assume classes start at the beginning of September so will I not be paid BTEA or JA til the SWO processes my form?

My reg day is 4th of september,classes begin week of the 9th.

Well I went in and I asked them and they said the letter I got when I payed the fees should be ok,I already gave them that letter so I dunno what to do,sorry for my constant ramblings,I just want this to work out.

• Advertisement

Yes you do.

If you start on the around the 4th-ish? Then this gives you a week to cross onto the new payment, so you should be ok.
    My reg day is 4th of september,classes begin week of the 9th.
    Well I went in and I asked them and they said the letter I got when I payed the fees should be ok,I already gave them that letter so I dunno what to do,sorry for my constant ramblings,I just want this to work out.

If they said that was enough, then that is enough. You should just roll onto the BTEA. Also if you have paid more than €2,000 the you can go to your local revenue office and make a claim for the tax you have paid on the fees. Good luck with college guys and if you have anymore questions just post back on here.

Advertisement