Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

good place to buy hi fi stuff

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,540 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

johnj1969 wrote: »
    I dont know about that.I remember jamo always done good quality stuff.They're not known for bad and cheap stuff.

Nope.

Back in the 80's they were known for DIY speaker kits and were considered very low end. Down there with Bose.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭johnj1969

yea back in 1980! they must have been competing with the likes of teufel ltd. then?remember that was 30 years ago.since then they've gotten quite a rep wouldnt you say...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Nothing wrong with Jamo speakers in a modest setup, they're certainly better than a lot of other recommended here. Jamo are fine if you're using something like an iPod or MP3s but in fairness wouldn't be considered anywhere near high end. Teamed with brands such as NAD they'll be absolutely fine.

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with Jamo speakers in a modest setup, they're certainly better than a lot of other recommended here. Jamo are fine if you're using something like an iPod or MP3s but in fairness wouldn't be considered anywhere near high end. Teamed with brands such as NAD they'll be absolutely fine.
    have you seen the concert 800 series or the reference 9 models.I dont think thay would plug into an ipod or mp3/4 player.Also i wouldnt consider NAD too low-end either! (peace bud);)

Also i wouldnt consider NAD too low-end either!

No, they're 'entry level' hifi. Even NAD know that.

• Advertisement

No, they're 'entry level' hifi. Even NAD know that.
    i would'nt consider the nad M3 or m15 amps entry level & i would say NAD def know that too.;)

They are flagship models produced to give credibility to their mainstream entry level components.
    The post I'm referring to stated "Bought Jamo (C603) Speakers there recently that are on stands & running off a NAD Amp & Cd player" so I think we can safely assume it's standard NAD stock.

They are flagship models produced to give credibility to their mainstream entry level components.
    The post I'm referring to stated "Bought Jamo (C603) Speakers there recently that are on stands & running off a NAD Amp & Cd player" so I think we can safely assume it's standard NAD stock.
    ok.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Mod Comment

Lads,

Thread title is "good place to buy hi fi stuff" - please keep this thread on topic, feel free to start a separate thread if you wat to discuss speakers/amps and your opinions about them.

Thanks,

Ritz.

The Ritz wrote: »
    Mod Comment

Lads,

Thread title is "good place to buy hi fi stuff" - please keep this thread on topic, feel free to start a separate thread if you wat to discuss speakers/amps and your opinions about them.

Thanks,

Ritz.

<SNIP>

• Advertisement

swe_fi wrote: »
    mediaeval>>> www.soundsolutionshifi.com It is not in Dublin, but they deliver (fast) & are very good. Bought Jamo (C603) Speakers there recently that are on stands & running off a NAD Amp & Cd player (also bought there). Jamo is not that common here but it is in scandinavia. It used to be quite bad and the cheaper stuff still is but now they do really good stuff as well for the money. C-series are good.

Every time i have dealt with these guys they have been great so deserves a recommendation. Check it out.
    Youre right there about S.S.though.Their service is first rate & so is the products!;)

Audioaffair.uk have good bargains & they deliver free to southern ireland!:):D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Mod Comment:

@ johnj1969

My post on the forum was intended to ask posters to keep to the topic. It's considered bad form on Boards to question a Mod on a thread when they make such a request or make some other intervention to moderate the thread, and it usually attracts an infraction. I'm not going to do that but am informing you that in future, if you think there's something that you would like to clarify with a Mod, please send her/him a PM.

I've PM'd you in response to your post and have snipped its contents from this thread.

Ritz.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Audioaffair.uk have good bargains & they deliver free to southern ireland!:):D

Thanks! - very impressive product catalog.

mmm... devilsound...

nereid wrote: »
    Thanks! - very impressive product catalog.

mmm... devilsound...
    yea no sweat!they seem to have a bargain sale all year round,i seen a pair of mission m32i black bookshelfs for £99...........£99.00stg!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Vunderground

I'd have to say Cloney too. Nothing is too much trouble for them and they put as much effort into getting replacement headphone leads as they do for more expensive purchases.
    I got some of this :

http://www.nordost.com/Super-Flatline-MkII-Speaker-Cable-P13.asp

out there a few years ago and they kept running non stop for a few days to break it in and considerably enhance the sound.
    Class!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dinarius

In the end I went for a Naim Uniti and a pair of ATC SCM 40 speakers - both from www.ainmav.com

Faultless service - I cannot recommend them highly enough.

Whoever you decide to go with, don't make a decision before you audition what Ainmav have to offer. You might as well make the most informed decision you can.

I wanted an all-in-one system and, while the Arcam Solo was nice souding and cheaper, it doesn't have wifi radio and that was a deal-breaker for me. Chorus/NTL radio (BBC Radio 4 (and 5Live, in particular) have been hopeless for quite some time now) is slowly, but surely, going to the dogs. With the Uniti coupled to my bog standard 3Mb Eircom connection (which is about 40 feet away) I now have outstanding reception on all channels. It really is superb.

As for CDs, my wife says that it's like they're in the room. I've hit upon a combination, which, while not budget priced, is really outstanding.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭ChrisMcCauley

I just bought some kit (Denon 1910s, Kef & Monitor Audio speakers, projector ..) from Sevenoaks. Great service and an amazing job on the installation. Definitely recommended.

Chris

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭kamin99

mediaeval wrote: »
    I'm reviving this thread...is it possible to buy good quality hi-fi equipment in Dublin? If so, where? I'm looking for separates (an amp, CD player) and speakers. Richer Sounds used to be the best spot but it's long gone.

TIA

check Maurice in sevenoaks.ie pleasure to deal with them and have all the new gear in good prices I have dealt with them over a year ago and they even got me my Yamaha DSP-Z7 fro uk at same price

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Pike Bishop

Check out Richers on the internet,They do a delivery service to the Republic which wont break the bank.Plus you can phone them,talk to Mark ,a nice bloke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Anyone know any good places to pick up second hand speakers and amps in Dublin? i already keep an eye on adverts.ie etc. but would be cool if there was a car boot sale or second hand shop somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71ovMoydXfL._SL1500_.jpg

hey lads, anyone know where I can get one of these? Was gonna try Amazon but they don't ship cables to Ireland?:confused:

There is one from a seller on Adverts that I bought before but it lasted about a month before it ripped.

PS am I correct in calling this aux to phono? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 22,198 ✭✭✭✭endacl

HowAreWe wrote: »
    http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71ovMoydXfL._SL1500_.jpg

hey lads, anyone know where I can get one of these? Was gonna try Amazon but they don't ship cables to Ireland?:confused:

There is one from a seller on Adverts that I bought before but it lasted about a month before it ripped.

You'll get that in any electronics shop. It's not an exotic mix of connectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,198 ✭✭✭✭endacl

HowAreWe wrote: »

Only if you aux socket accepts a 3.5 jack.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

endacl wrote: »
    You'll get that in any electronics shop. It's not an exotic mix of connectors.
    Alright thanks!
    endacl wrote: »
    Only if you aux socket accepts a 3.5 jack.
    Yeah it does!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Anywhere in Dublin now? Want an amplifier and speakers at the very least right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭knickerbocker

Two Irish speaker manufactures here:

www.ckspeakers.com

and www.eistaudio.ie

Great to see something happening in the Irish made HiFi area.

Two Irish speaker manufactures here:

www.ckspeakers.com

and www.eistaudio.ie

Great to see something happening in the Irish made HiFi area.

and by coincidence a very good review for Eist Dubh speakers from the highly regarded 6 Moons website
    http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/eist/1.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

and by coincidence a very good review for Eist Dubh speakers from the highly regarded 6 Moons website
    http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/eist/1.html

That website is awful :o . Is it just me ?

• Advertisement

That website is awful :o . Is it just me ?

It's horrendous! I find (many of) their reviews are bloated and meandering as well but they are very influential.

Since you brought up this thread I should point out I've since bought a pair of the Eist Dubh speakers and they are just incredible. :D

Advertisement