Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going back to College? Check here for Mature/Disabled/Access/Grant & Fees information

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭shawki

abceire wrote: »
    I'm been lat go from work, I've been to social welfare and have to wait until 16/08 to go back with all the paper work. They said I should get a payment the week after. I'm looking to apply for the BTEA so I was planning to wait until I got a payment to apply. I wondered is that ok? Get back signing on then apply? I wondered how late you can apply for BTEA? I have a letter offering me a place already so I Can use that to apply and when I register mid Sept give in that reg letter from the college to BTEA.
    Does that all sound doable?

Have you received statutory redundancy? As far as I know you to get it to waive the qualifying period for BTEA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭abceire

No, I was out of work from 08/12 to May this yr, I was only working 3 days a week for 2.5 months and got let go last Friday, I've enough unemployed days worked up. Between that time and before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭sugoo69

Hi - I couldnt see if this has been asked before so Ill ask

i was getting illness benefit for over 12 months - if I qualify for BTEA which I am sure I do will I still get it during the holidays?

I think that I will but I dont trust the websites as some of the social welfare information on the Deparment of social protection website is OOD. They stll refer to the one off payment for BTEA which has been discontinued!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭grasshopper1

Hi, Yes, during holidays etc., you have to sign on once a month and the dole/BTEA is paid into your bank account every week. When you return to college, you send your Certificate of Attendance to your local social welfare office, and revert back to BTEA until next summer. All the best, grasshopper

So I will still get the same money every week - I dont get JSB or JSA I get Illness benefit 52 weeks of the year.Will I have to re sign for Illness benefit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭grasshopper1

If you go on BTEA you get the going rate €188.00 p.w. Sorry, I don't know anything about Illness benefit. Might be a good idea to check with the welfare office, or better still check with a Citizen advice office, they pretty much know everything U need to know. Good luck, grasshopper1

• Registered Users Posts: 40,549 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I'm been lat go from work, I've been to social welfare and have to wait until 16/08 to go back with all the paper work. They said I should get a payment the week after. I'm looking to apply for the BTEA so I was planning to wait until I got a payment to apply. I wondered is that ok? Get back signing on then apply? I wondered how late you can apply for BTEA? I have a letter offering me a place already so I Can use that to apply and when I register mid Sept give in that reg letter from the college to BTEA.
    Does that all sound doable?

You should try and apply for btea now - dont wait - also you should apply for a susi grant for the fees. the deadline to apply for susi is tomorrow

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭upinthesky

If my patner claims for me on his jsa can i apply for the grant then instead of btea? has anyone done this?

You should try and apply for btea now - dont wait - also you should apply for a susi grant for the fees. the deadline to apply for susi is tomorrow

I've applied for Susi grant.
    I've not applied for the BTEA yet as you need to be getting a payment before you can apply. I've no payment yet, I went in to Social Welfare on Monday they made my appointment for the 16th of August. The guy said I should get a payment the week after. So I was going to wait until then.

Spoke to a really helpful lady at the department of welfare today re my Ilness Benefit v BTEA payment. She was great! Realy knew her stuff and found out about options for me. Yes I get it in the holidays and its set for the duration of the course. I can work if I like on it as well. We discussed the grant and she said apply for both fees & Maintenance as the decision isnt made regards BTEA till the course starts and the 2 departments will liase with each other anyway just to send them all an email from me letting them know what was going on, I expect this is to let them al know Im not trying to pull a fast one. Feel much more confident now that Im doing what I need to do to get the job done!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 CatsmcGee

Sorry if this question has already been asked, I couldn't see it in the thread.
    I received an ordinary bachelors degree level 7 in 2007 in fine art. I have been accepted to go back this year to the same college to do a different course, but this time a level 8 and I can go straight into second year, skipping the first year foundation.
    I am not sure if I am going to be eligible for BTEA, a grant or the 'free fees' as I have done 2nd and 3rd year of a course and got the level 7 degree. I am progressing in my education as advancing from level 7 to a level 8, but not sure it will be seen as this. Ive applied for both the grant through SUSI and BTEA and am waiting to hear back.
    As I have been out of college for more than 5 years, would I be considered as a second chance student, qualify for BTEA and free fees? If I'm hoping to be considered as a second chance student do I have to apply somewhere else for this? Or is just through SUSI as well. I went into citizens advice, but they weren't really sure. The person in charge of the fees office is on holidays so I cant ask them!
    Any help would be much appreciated. I don't know how I'm going to afford the full fees or to live if I don't get BTEA, but here's hoping.

Thats a tought one it would depend on the new course and if you have a qualifying payment from the department of social welfare.
    If you have been receiving a social welfare payment I would suggest you call the BTEA people as I found that they where the most helpful. Dont believe a WORD the SUSI people tell you and get everything either via email or in writing. Even then until you have the cash take everything with a pinch of salt.
    The fees is I think the one that you may have the most difficulty with as you have had your "bite of the free fee cherry" so to speak.

www.welfare.ie to get the correc contact number - but be aware the information on this website is out of date!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

I am in the exact same situation as yourself. I have a level 7 and I am going back to do a Level 8 in a totally different course.

You wont get free fees for the first 3 years of your new course,as you already have that used up from the previous level 7 course. You will go back on the free fees in your 4th year of your new course, so you will have to pay for the first 3 years.

As for BTEA, as the previous post said, if you meet the criteria you have a good chance, ie social welfare payments and progressing.

Apply to susi, as they can cover your fees if you meet the income requirements.

My best advice would be apply for everything - they can only say no & if you get everything you can always cancel. BUT tell SUSI that you are applying for BTEA & Tell BTEA that you have applied for SUSI full grant - they talk to each other so Im told. But ell them both if you get BTEA you will cancel the maintenance grant so they know you are not trying it on. Goos luck

Thanks for advice. I'm going into the college tomorrow to try and find out about fees. I've been on the dole for more than 12 months so hopefully I do qualify for BTEA, though I think I'm more worried about the fees at the moment!

CatsmcGee wrote: »
    Thanks for advice. I'm going into the college tomorrow to try and find out about fees. I've been on the dole for more than 12 months so hopefully I do qualify for BTEA, though I think I'm more worried about the fees at the moment!

Tomorrow is the last day for SUSI - you may need to apply to susi for fees

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

You should be entitled to Back To Education Allowance if you've been unemployed for that length.

Ive applied for SUSI. Does anyone know anything about the second chance student? If you are out of college for 5 years you might get free fees?

Second chance students yeah but I think thats only if you didnf finish?

Citizen.ie says

However, ‘second chance students’ may be eligible for a grant. A ‘second chance student’ is someone who is aged over 23, did not successfully complete an earlier course and is returning to pursue an approved course after at least 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 BinaryRyan

Can't find a place to ask this and rather not start a new thread on the btea allowance form under the section:
    Social welfare income
    would you put down your local swo or the post office that pays you for
    Name and address of office that pays this payment?
    I'm 99% sure just don't want to make a mistake and can ring social right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭GL scrappy

BinaryRyan wrote: »
    Name and address of office that pays this payment?

I'm just filling out the form myself so I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure they're looking for the local social welfare office and its address.

The course I'm starting is a 2 year higher certificate in AIT, trying to find who is the awarding body and I can't find reference to it anywhere, can anybody advise?

GL scrappy wrote: »
    I'm just filling out the form myself so I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure they're looking for the local social welfare office and its address.

The course I'm starting is a 2 year higher certificate in AIT, trying to find who is the awarding body and I can't find reference to it anywhere, can anybody advise?

I'd say it is HETAC

Terry Pratchet

I got turned down for susi , they said I already had a fatec level 6 and I had a beta, I am doing the trinity access programme come September . I have not applied to get a beta yet as I am waiting for my social welfare claim to go thru before I apply. And I thought I could still apply for susi to do a the tap course as it is full time study not like my other fatec course I have done before?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭upinthesky

Maybe they think you will be accepted for btea? I did an access coarse last year and didn't need susi as it was 900 euro fee but the btea covered it, i know the students that didn't get btea had to pay the fee.

Hi guys thanks for your help. Turns out I will have to pay the fees for second and third year but I am still wondering about BTEA. I've been on JA for more than 12 months and am living at home with my parents. Does anyone know does BTEA means test your parents? I'm 28. Also does anyone have any idea if I will qualify for BTEA as I have a level 7 diploma from 2007, have completed 2nd and 3rd year of this course and now I'm going into 2nd year of a level 8 course?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

your in a similar situation to myself. BTEA is not means tested on parents etc, its just if you meet the required amount of days on a social welfare payment. You are progressing to a level 8, so you should get the btea. I did level 7, and I am doing a totally different course this sept at level 8. I havent got a decision on btea yet, but they intitially yold me it should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭DJW11

CatsmcGee wrote: »
    Hi guys thanks for your help. Turns out I will have to pay the fees for second and third year but I am still wondering about BTEA. I've been on JA for more than 12 months and am living at home with my parents. Does anyone know does BTEA means test your parents? I'm 28. Also does anyone have any idea if I will qualify for BTEA as I have a level 7 diploma from 2007, have completed 2nd and 3rd year of this course and now I'm going into 2nd year of a level 8 course?

I did a 2yr level 6 engineering course in 2005, and im back in university now after transferring into year 2 of a level 8 engineering degree in the same discipline, I got BTEA and didnt have to pay any fees, jusft finished the 2nd year and going into 3rd year now. Hope this helps. Is your level 8 degree a different course, and thats why your starting in yr 2???

I've a place on the TAP course in Trinity, can't wait to start, I've already been in using some of the sports facilities, which is nice to get acquainted with the place. Just waiting for a my first dole payment next week so I can try applying for a BTEA.
    I got turned down for a Susi grant because it said I had a BTEA but I'd not applied for it and had only put on the form that I was applying in the future.
    Secondly it said I had a Fetac Level 6 already, but it was only for a part-time course. This TAP course is full time and totally different to anything I've studied before. Worth appealing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

I've a place on the TAP course in Trinity, can't wait to start, I've already been in using some of the sports facilities, which is nice to get acquainted with the place. Just waiting for a my first dole payment next week so I can try applying for a BTEA.
    I got turned down for a Susi grant because it said I had a BTEA but I'd not applied for it and had only put on the form that I was applying in the future.
    Secondly it said I had a Fetac Level 6 already, but it was only for a part-time course. This TAP course is full time and totally different to anything I've studied before. Worth appealing ?

If you have a complete level 6, i.e enough modules to get a major award then the fact it was part time doesn't make any difference. They look at the level achieved. It would be the same for a person who completed a degree on a part-time basis, even if they paid for it themselves they usually wont be funded by SUSI to get a 2nd qualification at the same level.

If the level 6 you did was a component cert or only a few modules it might be worthwhile getting in touch with SUSI to clarify this.

• Advertisement

Ok that sounds hopeful! Thanks a mill
    DJW11 wrote: »
    I did a 2yr level 6 engineering course in 2005, and im back in university now after transferring into year 2 of a level 8 engineering degree in the same discipline, I got BTEA and didnt have to pay any fees, jusft finished the 2nd year and going into 3rd year now. Hope this helps. Is your level 8 degree a different course, and thats why your starting in yr 2???

It's a different course, but the first year is the same - it's just a foundation year that I had done already with my level 7 so I was able to transfer into 2nd year.
    Fingers crossed they approve the btea. How long does it take to hear back from them? I put in my form a month ago.
    I'll go in and ask Monday I think.

Advertisement