Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fetac CAO offers 2013..

Options
  • 23-07-2013 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭

Hey, just thought I would continue the boards tradition and start a thread for people to talk about 2013 CAO offers for Fetac students seen as its just a little more than a week away until Round Zero offers on August 1st.

What courses is everyone hoping to get? Best of luck!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

Hey, just thought I would continue the boards tradition and start a thread for people to talk about 2013 CAO offers for Fetac students seen as its just a little more than a week away until Round Zero offers on August 1st.

What courses is everyone hoping to get? Best of luck!

Are you hoping to get your choice on round zero or round one ?

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭MarkyMark22

deisedave wrote: »
    Are you hoping to get your choice on round zero or round one ?

Im hoping for Round Zero because my first few choices are Universities and they offer in Round Zero.

How about you?

Im hoping for Round Zero because my first few choices are Universities and they offer in Round Zero.

How about you?

Only choices I want really are I.T. related and that is general I.T. and System Software in W.I.T.

So I will have to wait until August 19th :(

Only choices I want really are I.T. related and that is general I.T. and System Software in W.I.T.

So I will have to wait until August 19th :(

Some I.T's offer in Round Zero. Have you seen the list?

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭92Grainne1992

Some I.T's offer in Round Zero. Have you seen the list?

Where is the list? x

• Advertisement

Where is the list? x

Here's a document from 2011. Close to the top it has a list of colleges under the Higher Education Links Scheme (Round Zero)

Further down there's a list of colleges on the Pilot Scheme.

http://www.fetac.ie/fetac/documents/Prog_HEC_2011.pdf

Here's a document from 2011. Close to the top it has a list of colleges under the Higher Education Links Scheme (Round Zero)

Further down there's a list of colleges on the Pilot Scheme.

http://www.fetac.ie/fetac/documents/Prog_HEC_2011.pdf

Is round zero not just for courses that have reserved places for fetac students ?

I thought if you were converting your modules into points that meant places were going to be offered in round 1.

Is round zero not just for courses that have reserved places for fetac students ?

I thought if you were converting your modules into points that meant places were going to be offered in round 1.

I think, but could be wrong, that round zero is for colleges under the Higher Education Links Scheme and Round 1 is for the Pilot Scheme.

Colleges under the HEL Scheme solely look at the highest number of distinctions. If you have 8 distinctions you're more than likely to get a place over someone with 7. There is a quote for the majority of courses, Usually 10% by what I've seen.

The Pilot Scheme turns your fetac results into points and you compete against other leaving cert students. This is only for colleges who come under the Pilot Scheme.

I.E you can't have your fetac score turned into points for access onto a course in a college under the Higher Education Links Scheme (you can see the colleges in the link I proved above).

This is my understand of it. I'm sure someone else on here could inform you better. Apologies in advance if I'm wrong.

am I meant to be looking at the Higher Education Links Scheme or the Pilot Scheme? Because ITB is only on one of them... got my award today, full 8 distinctions... Yurtttt

I think, but could be wrong, that round zero is for colleges under the Higher Education Links Scheme and Round 1 is for the Pilot Scheme.

Colleges under the HEL Scheme solely look at the highest number of distinctions. If you have 8 distinctions you're more than likely to get a place over someone with 7. There is a quote for the majority of courses, Usually 10% by what I've seen.

The Pilot Scheme turns your fetac results into points and you compete against other leaving cert students. This is only for colleges who come under the Pilot Scheme.

I.E you can't have your fetac score turned into points for access onto a course in a college under the Higher Education Links Scheme (you can see the colleges in the link I proved above).

This is my understand of it. I'm sure someone else on here could inform you better. Apologies in advance if I'm wrong.

I think distinctions being counted for a place is only in universities that have a quota of Fetac places, but the course's I am applying for are level 7 I.T. and system software so I think I will be competing with leaving cert students.

• Advertisement

am I meant to be looking at the Higher Education Links Scheme or the Pilot Scheme? Because ITB is only on one of them... got my award today, full 8 distinctions... Yurtttt

ITB is Pilot Scheme, so you should be getting offers in Round 1. No harm in looking in Round Zero though.. There was a thread on here last year and people received offers in Round Zero from lots of different colleges, so I'm slightly unsure of how it works exactly.

ITB is Pilot Scheme, so you should be getting offers in Round 1. No harm in looking in Round Zero though.. There was a thread on here last year and people received offers in Round Zero from lots of different colleges, so I'm slightly unsure of how it works exactly.

"FETAC applicants must compete for course places with other FETAC applicants and Leaving Certificate applicants alike. FETAC quotas and a requirement for an award to be achieved in a single sitting may apply for certain courses."

Thats from the ITB website... :( Can I ask what happens if I get offered a place in rounnd zero for something and I dont want it.... Do I have to accept it or how does that work? The last time I did CAO I just accepted the place I got and never looked back....

Do I ignore a place if I am offered and just hope for the next round or do I have to accept it in round zero, should I get it?

"FETAC applicants must compete for course places with other FETAC applicants and Leaving Certificate applicants alike. FETAC quotas and a requirement for an award to be achieved in a single sitting may apply for certain courses."

Thats from the ITB website... :( Can I ask what happens if I get offered a place in rounnd zero for something and I dont want it.... Do I have to accept it or how does that work? The last time I did CAO I just accepted the place I got and never looked back....

Do I ignore a place if I am offered and just hope for the next round or do I have to accept it in round zero, should I get it?

Yeah, I seem that. It's confusing. I'm not sure if they mean you compete against other fetac students who are also turning their fetac into points or if you compete for a fetac quote.

In regards to your other question, if you get offered your first choice and turn it down you won't get offered another place. But if you get offered a place lower down your list and you reject you can still get offers above it, but not below it.

If you are 100% sure of getting a place in Round One, you could turn down an offer in round Zero.. However, on the day of Round Zero, if you get offered a place, you should ring either CAO or the college you are hoping to get an offer from and ask them if their fetac offers were issued today. If they say no, you could still get an offer in round one, if they say yes, then I would accept the place you got offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 mathsyay

Hey all :)

I'm applying for science at UCD hoping to hear some good news next week :)

mathsyay wrote: »
    Hey all :)

I'm applying for science at UCD hoping to hear some good news next week :)

Good luck! How did your fetac results go? Which college where you in?

Good luck! How did your fetac results go? Which college where you in?

Not to bad, it says on UCD's website that last year all qualified applicants where offered a place at 5 distinctions. I qualified and got 6 distinctions so hopefully they don't go up this year :) I'm appealing two modules so hopefully they come back good and I get the full 8 ... The waiting is a killer haha just a week now. Oh and I went to st.kevins college in crumlin, how about you ?

Not to bad, it says on UCD's website that last year all qualified applicants where offered a place at 5 distinctions. I qualified and got 6 distinctions so hopefully they don't go up this year :) I'm appealing two modules so hopefully they come back good and I get the full 8 ... The waiting is a killer haha just a week now. Oh and I went to st.kevins college in crumlin, how about you ?

I'm hoping to go to DCU. Either Communicational Studies or Journalism. I more than likely require the full 8 distinctions. I got 11 distinctions all together but CAO only count your best 8 so hopefully I get a place. I'll be pretty disappointed if I didn't. I studied in Rathmines College.

Have you got any other CAO choices?

I'm hoping to go to DCU. Either Communicational Studies or Journalism. I more than likely require the full 8 distinctions. I got 11 distinctions all together but CAO only count your best 8 so hopefully I get a place. I'll be pretty disappointed if I didn't. I studied in Rathmines College.

That's a lot of distinctions I'd be surprised if you didn't get your place :) and yep I have science at trinity maynooth dcu and loads of others but I kind of only want ucd cause I really want to do theoretical physics and ucd is the only place that I can do that through science :/ so fingers crossed lol :) this is going to be an anxious week to say the least :L

Oh and I forgot to say good luck with your choices :pac:

That's a lot of distinctions I'd be surprised if you didn't get your place :) and yep I have science at trinity maynooth dcu and loads of others but I kind of only want ucd cause I really want to do theoretical physics and ucd is the only place that I can do that through science :/ so fingers crossed lol :) this is going to be an anxious week to say the least :L

Yeah, I'm already feeling nervous! It's a big week! Make or break really. Difference between going to University of perhaps going to do a BTEC.

I was reading over last years Fetac offers thread and it seems offers didn't come online until 9ish rather than the 6 o'clock that is stated on CAO website.

So I think I'll sleep in that day rather than waking up early and panicking if there's no offer haha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 zoeenya

Hey guys, so just to clarify...if you turn down say your third choice, and you dont get any more offers...is that it ...college gone. or can you then accept your third choice that you where offered? and how long do you have. my first time applying and i feel confused.

zoeenya wrote: »
    Hey guys, so just to clarify...if you turn down say your third choice, and you dont get any more offers...is that it ...college gone. or can you then accept your third choice that you where offered? and how long do you have. my first time applying and i feel confused.

If you turn down your third choice you can only be offered any courses that are above your third choice. I.E if you turn down a choice you cannot be offered anything below that offer.

Also, the third choice won't come back if you turn it down. It'll be gone. So you have to strategically accept/reject your course. Unless you are absolutely 100% certain of being offered a place above the course you are rejecting, I would be very wary of rejecting it.

Yeah, I'm already feeling nervous! It's a big week! Make or break really. Difference between going to University of perhaps going to do a BTEC.

I was reading over last years Fetac offers thread and it seems offers didn't come online until 9ish rather than the 6 o'clock that is stated on CAO website.

So I think I'll sleep in that day rather than waking up early and panicking if there's no offer haha.

Oh wow I'm really glad I read this I would freak out, now I think I just wont look at it till the second of next month lol. This is awful hahaha

Oh wow I'm really glad I read this I would freak out, now I think I just wont look at it till the second of next month lol. This is awful hahaha

Yeah, likewise! If you look at thread, every single one of them thought they hadn't received an offer because the offers weren't online at 6AM. Then when it came to about 9:30ish a lot had received offers.

My official fetac cert and results came today. Got 11 distinctions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Lamina

I'm really, really nervous for it now. I don't think I'm going to get any offers though since I got 7 distinctions and 1 merit :(

Lamina wrote: »
    I'm really, really nervous for it now. I don't think I'm going to get any offers though since I got 7 distinctions and 1 merit :(

What course are you applying for ? Unless it's nursing I'd say you have a very strong chance :)

What course are you applying for ? Unless it's nursing I'd say you have a very strong chance :)

Veterinary Nursing, I've no idea what the competition is like!

Lamina wrote: »
    Veterinary Nursing, I've no idea what the competition is like!

Hmm I haven't a clue what veterinary nursing is like, from what I've heard I know general nursing is always quite tough :/

• Advertisement

Hmm I haven't a clue what veterinary nursing is like, from what I've heard I know general nursing is always quite tough :/

Ya I know with human nursing, you haven't really a chance unless you've all distinctions! I've been finding it really hard to find people who did a FETAC Level 5 and went on to Vet. Nursing Level 7, so I'm taking that as a good sign that it's not too much in demand :P

Advertisement