Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Professional diver first aid at RTC's

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

pauld81 wrote: »
    Maybe a good idea to introduce this for professional drivers and schools..
    http://www.ambulancetoday.co.uk/news-item/driver-first-assist-a-new-era-in-road-safety/

Its a must IMO, too many people have been permanently disabled, or even killed thanks to people having absolutely no idea of what to do at an RTC and ending up pulling someone with spinal injuries out of a vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭pauld81

Its a must IMO, too many people have been permanently disabled, or even killed thanks to people having absolutely no idea of what to do at an RTC and ending up pulling someone with spinal injuries out of a vehicle.

Your right, main topics I think should be - Scene safety has to be emphasised, recognition of difference between smoke and airbag talc, stabilise c-spine..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Speaking from a drivers point of view who has drove on nearly every road in this country I think it would be an excellent idea,At present both bus & truck drivers have to sit a 1 day course called the drivers CPC which most drivers think myself included is a load of b*ll*x.
    Drivers who carry dangerous goods packages & tanker have to do 3/5 day training to get the ADR licence and there is a small bit of first aid involved CPR/recovery position etc,But they don't get a formal cert I have asked for a module on first aid to be included in the syllabus but it is up to the RSA.
    I think Scene Safe/ METHANE message and the Triage process should be included.

Thanks donkey, main issue with teaching first aid is its easily made complicated by cramming unnecessary information, as I've previously mentioned sticking to the particular basics of rtc first aid and keeping it simply will stick in trainees heads.. As for the CPC courses, don't mention the war!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

There has been studies done to show that where a basic first aid cert includes basic spinal precautions that lay people tend to become blinkered and focus on C-Spine protection at the expense of airway maintenance. Airway is always more important and I'd sooner see that emphasised. C-Spine less so as the amount of people with a true spinal injury isn't as great as you think it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

BX 19 wrote: »
    There has been studies done to show that where a basic first aid cert includes basic spinal precautions that lay people tend to become blinkered and focus on C-Spine protection at the expense of airway maintenance. Airway is always more important and I'd sooner see that emphasised. C-Spine less so as the amount of people with a true spinal injury isn't as great as you think it is.

I think airway mgmt is a fairly well covered in an OFA course anyway. I don't think different spinal scenarios are as well covered AFAIK but feel free to correct me on that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I think airway mgmt is a fairly well covered in an OFA course anyway. I don't think different spinal scenarios are as well covered AFAIK but feel free to correct me on that. :)

http://www.paramedicpractice.com/cgi-bin/go.pl/library/article.cgi?uid=48160;article=pp_2_5_200
    The management of trauma patients who have possible spinal cord injury with immobilization is standard professional practice. However, very little is known about how the general public, who are often first to arrive at the scene of an accident, manage such patients. A primary cross-sectional survey was conducted which asked members of the public how they would manage a fictional patient who had been knocked off his bicycle in a road traffic accident. The survey found that for some members of the public (8%), their overriding priority was that the patient must not be moved under any circumstances.

Their fear of causing or exacerbating spinal injury was so great that they would not move the patient-even in order to undertake life-saving procedures such as cardiopulmonary resuscitation.

The survey found that although only a small number of patients risk being affected by misinformed or confused members of the public, the consequences for such patients could be fatal. Given the seriousness of the consequences, there is a case for a public information campaign to remind the public of the correct prioritization of immediately life-saving interventions over spinal cord protection.

Can't disagree with ya, very true about lay people getting the blinkers on. If inline stabilization with airway awareness was emphasised by a good instructor it would be invaluable in an incident. As stated before the CFR covers it well..

Advertisement