Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,806 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There's also clearly not enough bosses for it to be a Strider game :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Yeah. It looks pretty lazy. Exactly what you'd expect a half ass update of a 2D pixel game to look like.

Flashback looks a bit more promising though:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

it does look promising indeed!

Be hard to **** up flashback in fairness......Fade to black didnt happen BTW

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

it does look promising indeed!

Be hard to **** up flashback in fairness......Fade to black didnt happen BTW

Ah now,
    I loved that game on PC and the superior PS version, played the both to completion, it actually works very well as a sequel to Flashback.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,806 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think Fade to Black gets an undeserved bad reputation. It was critically very well received when it was released on PC and I really enjoyed it.

Playing it now it's a total unplayable mess of a game but back when 3D was very early it was very impressive for what it was. It's a bit like Goldeneye in that regard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Well
    Castlevania is Metroid in a drafty old castle!
    Super Metroid did come first.

I realise this, but since this is my first Metroid outing and I've already played multiple Castlevania titles, I'm sure you can see why it feels like Castlevania in space to me, as opposed to the other way round.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Flashback is on the cover of Retrogamer this month, picked up a copy last night.

I am now going to get a big feck off roll from Superquinn and read it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

DinoRex wrote: »
    Flashback is on the cover of Retrogamer this month, picked up a copy last night.

I am now going to get a big feck off roll from Superquinn and read it.

Carpe Diem, Quam Minimum Credula Postero!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

I got my lead pipe ready. BRING IT ON!

Now...did anyone else watch Pacific Rim?
    ku-medium.jpg
    ..I'll get my coat..

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Does anyone else hate the term "Metroidvania"? It just sounds so painfully uncreative.
    DinoRex wrote: »
    See there's a new Strider game on the way... unfortunately it's by the crowd who did Silent Hill Homecoming.

I've seen 'Metroidvania' being applied to this too. >_<
    If it was done with hand-drawn sprites, á lá Rayman Origins/Legends, and stopped with this semi-2D/3D look, and kept more of the original style, I'd be much happier about the announcement. Not everything has to be super realistic looking!!!

I got super excited seeing the headline, then gutted when I saw the trailer/gameplay trailer:

[edit]
    I also hate the way that the way he runs looks ridiculous with those realistic visuals, especially the way the only thing that changes when he's on an incline is the angle of the run animation... :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Just back from seeing The Worlds End and it was... Ok...
    Felt like a big missed opportunity, not in the same league as Shaun of the Dead or Hot Fuzz, Paul was far more enjoyable.
    The film felt s lot like s Spaced cast reunion tbh, but Jessica wisely stayed away.
    I'll wait now for Johnny Us rebuttal!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Did anyone else watch The Iron Giant on Film4, last weekend? I wanted to say this days ago, but because of CiDeR clobbering himself with a lead pipe, I didn't get to.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just back from seeing The Worlds End and it was... Ok...
    Felt like a big missed opportunity, not in the same league as Shaun of the Dead or Hot Fuzz, Paul was far more enjoyable.
    The film felt s lot like s Spaced cast reunion tbh, but Jessica wisely stayed away.
    I'll wait now for Johnny Us rebuttal!

No rebuttal :) I agree, 'twas underwhelming to say the least, all over the place to be honest! I actually thought it worked better as a character study than a sci-fi film or comedy, which is an incredibly strange feeling in this sort of film. To their credit, Pegg & Frost did some of their best work, but it's everything else that's underperforming.

I watched the interview with the director and leads by Jackson and thought that they just couldn't give a fig.
    The last 5 minutes had more creativity then the previous hour!
    There was a touch of 2012 about it, with much of the movie spent with the cast running away from stuff.
    Attack the Block kinda has done Brit invasion already to perfection.
    And the big celebrity cameo is a waste of time, he just can't act!
    Eddie Marsen was my favourite tbh, Considine and Freeman were pitiful, particularly the latter who was phoning in a Comic Strip Presents character.

I got such a kick out of watching this video (the sounds is sh1te though)

People will actually clap at anything at ComicCon it seems...
    Sorry, I just don't like MK

People will actually clap at anything at ComicCon it seems...
    Sorry, I just don't like MK

I can see why it deserved a round of applause. The voice of Scorpion bellowing out his most famous line- seems pretty cool to me, but then again, I'm a big MK head. However, I've never actually seen Boon do the voice before, so I really enjoyed this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

deathrider wrote: »
    I can see why it deserved a round of applause. The voice of Scorpion bellowing out his most famous line- seems pretty cool to me, but then again, I'm a big MK head. However, I've never actually seen Boon do the voice before, so I really enjoyed this.

Fair enough, sorry, my dislike of that series is almost equal to that of Golden Axe and Streets of Rage.... and now I've said those names in my head I have to go and punish small animals....... Hello Kitty! Mwa hahaha!

• Advertisement

The Mortal Kombat series has always been really bad. Let's not fool ourselves, the only reason we liked it was because we were young and impressionable and there was something naughty about the gore because it certainly wasn't for the gameplay and nuanced fighting game system.

Saying that MK9 is surprisingly great.

My Glob, Retr0 and I agree.... the end of days approacheth!!

I did kinda enjoy MK3 on the PS, but mostly because the format was quiet at the time and it came in a neat box.
    psx_mk3.jpg

The same era was host to a lot of better games, but it was a time, on the PS, that an owner could say they had played everything on the console, not that the situation lasted that long on the PS as it's games library expanded exponentially over the following years.
    Lets hope the same is true of the WiiU!

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

Who wants an A&R BBS? :pac: :pac:

Who wants an A&R BBS? :pac: :pac:

A what now?
    Bulletin Board System?
    Why?
    We have a forum....

What next, entries submitted by fax?
    Perhaps carrier pigeon borne replies to comments?
    Maybe we could engage the Pony Express on our behalf?

I am only joking!

Honestly.....

But the last time I used such a thing was in a computer lab in DIT Kevin St back in '89, and most of it seemed to be about Star Trek.

There wasn't much call for a retrogaming forum on BBS back then.

No, we just called retrogaming "gaming" then,

Livin' the dream guys and gals, livin' the dream, with the 90's beckoning...

I've got to disagree with pretty much everything that's been said about MK here. I've always had an absolute blast with the series. It's had it it's ups (MKII) and downs (MK4) to be sure, but for the most part I reckon they've been great craic. Having said that, I can see why they're held with the contempt that they are. It's not like they're the well balanced fighters that KoF or SF might be. But this never stopped me having tons of fun with them.

To say I hold in contempt is to overstate how much I think the series matters.
    Back in the day it was presented as an opposite pole to the SF series of games, particularly memorable back with the appearance of these titles on the home consoles, with pages and pages of comparisons between the arcade and all the various competing machines under the telly.
    But it never really became that game, the true opposite pole to SF, and it's related titles, was always the SNK fighting games.
    That 4 button system was the one that competed amongst those in the know with the Capcom 6 button system.
    MK with it's preference for prelearned button press sequences and stick positions had none of the fluidity of either Capcom or SNK.
    And that's probably why it never really made more of itself, outside of its own franchise, at least until now and the DC game.

And that's really why while I don't like and never really enjoyed Mortal Kombat it never really mattered enough to be hated, it was, for me at least, irrelevant.

But that was just me, there were plenty of others who really liked it, so different strokes and all that.

There was no real strategy to the MK games either. There's was no real wake up game or footsies meaning that the mind games of better fighting games were completely absent from the series. It was made by people that didn't realise what made fighting games as a genre so exciting and tried to replace it with flash and controversy.

Now that's not to say I was never young and foolish because anyone that knew me when I started on this forum can attest that I was one of the worst offenders in that regard :) I loved MK2 on release, in fact I was obsessed with it, but then I also discovered Samurai Showdown 2 around that time and learned how to play street fighter properly and it was very obvious to me which were the better playing games after a while.

Oh, I've never been terribly good at fighting games of any hue or, in the interests of accuracy, I've been pretty good at being terrible at fighting games.
    And I have always, always come a cropper at the hands of fast, random button pressers, particularly on the likes of Mortal Kombat and Tekken franchises, those games love random button mashers, there you are, trying to keep your distance, when suddenly you get your arms ripped off or barely get time to hit back when a bloke in a big cat mask kicks the snot out of you.
    Cheap feckers!

My favourite of the genre, Powerstone, not really, but kinda, ok mostly a fighting game and awesome.
    I used to be not bad but time has eroded my limited skills and, as anyone at O1s1ns Beers will attest, I now firmly suck at that game :(
    But that was the superb Powerstone, even if I'm not on form it's still a pleasure to play, unlike it's sequel.
    And avoid the PSP version, they fecked with the screen ratio, DC all the way baby!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

And avoid the PSP version, they fecked with the screen ratio, DC all the way baby!
    DON'T YOU INSULT MY GAME PURCHASES!

I wish that version had online play, though. I think it was only the Japanese release of Power Stone 2 on Dreamcast that had that.

• Advertisement

Well it seems the word from RPG fans and Megatenists is that Shin Megami Tensei IV is incredible. Cannot wait for my copy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement