Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rep of Ireland Fantasy Football Team

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Lemlin wrote: »
    Hull are bringing a good Irish contingent up with them. Paul McShane will surely bring home the cup for you!

Beat me to it. Mc Shane. Legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭swoody

Damien Delaney and Owen Garvan will be available now that Crystal Palace are in the prem

• Registered Users Posts: 24,815 ✭✭✭✭emmet02

Hello again Fantasy Football Fans.

I am in need of assistance. I am trying to get a list of players to see if I can even field a team this year! We will work out the handicap / points penalties once it can be shown that we (Republic of Ireland) can field a full squad.

So I need

2 Goalkeepers
    5 Defenders
    5 Midfielders
    3 Strikers

that have or could represent the Republic of Ireland. Would appreciate some help, and potential likelihood of a) featuring frequently for their team, b) ability to score well.

Keepers
    • Bunn
    • Given
    • Westwood
    (none likely to play!)

Defenders
    • Clarke
    • Dunne
    • McShane
    • Wilson
    • Stevens
    • Delaney
    • Coleman
    • O'Brien
    • O'Shea
    Midfielders
    • McLean
    • Pilkington
    • Hoolahan
    • Walters
    • Duff
    • Quinn
    • Brady
    • Meyler
    • Garvan
    • Gibson
    Strikers
    • Long
    • Mason
    ---

Stuck for a third Striker!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,088 ✭✭✭Invincible

emmet02 wrote: »
    Hello again Fantasy Football Fans.

I am in need of assistance. I am trying to get a list of players to see if I can even field a team this year! We will work out the handicap / points penalties once it can be shown that we (Republic of Ireland) can field a full squad.

So I need

2 Goalkeepers
    5 Defenders
    5 Midfielders
    3 Strikers

that have or could represent the Republic of Ireland. Would appreciate some help, and potential likelihood of a) featuring frequently for their team, b) ability to score well.

Keepers
    • Bunn
    • Given
    • Westwood
    (none likely to play!)

Defenders
    • Clarke
    • Dunne
    • McShane
    • Wilson
    • Stevens
    • Delaney
    Midfielders
    • McLean
    • Pilkington
    • Hoolahan
    • Walters
    • Duff
    • Quinn
    • Brady
    • Meyler
    • Garvan
    Strikers
    • Long
    • Mason
    ---

Stuck for a third Striker!

You left out Coleman.............:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Conor Wickham's father is Northern Irish, but I guess that could be a step too far :pac: Surely Walters would be seen as a striker in the game by now

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Dunne has joined QPR so won't be an option.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭mectavba

You've missed out Joey O'Brien and Darren Gibson for a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,478 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Jesus, real slim pickings for you this year Emmet, need to increase that handicap by a LOT.

What about a England v Scotland/Wales/NIRL/ROI team, might be better, and you'd get Bale

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

John O shea?

KevIRL wrote: »
    Jesus, real slim pickings for you this year Emmet, need to increase that handicap by a LOT.

What about a England v Scotland/Wales/NIRL/ROI team, might be better, and you'd get Bale

That would be a better way to go I'd say. A little less patriotic mayhaps but with Bale there may be no need for a handicap either :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,217 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Can't belive there's been this many posts and no mention of Stephen Ireland!

Also, Samir Carruthers plays for Villa (and the Irish U-21s). Unlikely to get much gametime for Villa, but made his debut for the senior team last season.

Also unlikely to play for the Irish senior team while Trap is there, as he is actually quite skillful.

Edit: My bad. Just checked the game and Carruthers isn't actually in there! Nevermind...carry on...

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭mectavba

Other options:

Elliot, Henderson (GK)

S.Reid, Whelan (MF)

It is slightly depressing that there are only 2 Irish strikers in the Premier League, one of whom I have barely heard of. Hull were rumoured to be after Sammon, but that is hardly going to lift your spirits too high. Villa have a guy called Burke, who made it on the bench a few times this year, he might be added to the game at some point, but again wont get you many points.

Despite the lack of striking options, I think the Irish options will be better this year than last. A lot will depend on whether Westwood is given a chance and takes it. He seems your most viable option in goal, barring an injury to one of the established keepers. Also, Given may yet find a PL club. There were rumours that he was going to Doncaster, but that's gone quiet.

At the moment I would go for:

Westwood, Given

Coleman O'Brien O'Shea Wilson Delaney/McShane

Brady Hoolahan Pilkington Gibson Duff

Long Mason Bony(Ivory Coast flag close enough???)

That leaves out Walters, but I have a feeling he might be edged out by Hughes as he tries to change Stoke's direct style. Midfield isn't bad at all, I have considered all 5 for my real FF team. Gibson should be on all set pieces if Baines goes and takes quite a few as it is. Maybe Duff won't be week in, week out.

Defence should be reasonable, depending on opposition of course.

Up front is a disaster unless Long catches fire.

Hopefully the remainder of the transfer window will be good to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭skippy15

Id say there will be a few more moves such as mccarthy and maybe even McGeady, but yeah I think maybe a straight 4 nations V eng might be your best bet as struggling to field an irish team would no obvious captain choice and little strike force either.

took the liberty of creating my own "irish" team while i'm pissing around waiting for week 1

23985208a99beff519a63ac2e1933a58.png

skippy15 wrote: »
    Id say there will be a few more moves such as mccarthy and maybe even McGeady, but yeah I think maybe a straight 4 nations V eng might be your best bet as struggling to field an irish team would no obvious captain choice and little strike force either.

Nah, we'll just handicap it appropriately and keep it as Rep of Ireland vs England. Pride at stake is far more important than the cash!

Still desperately searching for a third striker even in the reserves but listed on FPL site that would be eligible to play for the Republic.

Anyone got any insider tips / transfer rumours?

Also, the midfield this season is going to be interesting. I think Brady could be well worth a punt while Walters stock is likely to diminish with Hughes looking for an out and out striker up front at Stoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

I think you are going to need a striker to be transferred in! You could try email FPL and see if they will add Jack Grealish and subtly suggest that he is a striker. He has been on the bench for Villa a couple of times he isn't a striker but you could try your luck!!

https://twitter.com/JackGrealish1

Robbie Keane will return during the January transfer window to play for his 'boyhood club' Hull City

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

A long shot but worth keeping in the back of your mind.
    Graham Burke, 19, was the joint top goalscorer for Villa in the NextGen Series last year when they went on to the win the cup. He has featured in their pre-season a reasonable amount.
    However, he is a few places back in the queue right now and will probably take a few injuries/suspensions to get him on the pitch come Premiership time. Also, he hasn't been given a squad number yet this year which would indicate he's going on loan this year.

Can't belive there's been this many posts and no mention of Stephen Ireland!

Off to doncaster apparently

McLean to Wigan.

spanners

• Advertisement

Hoho! Get in Rory Donnelly you little beauty!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rory_Donnelly

almost finished Draft
    Westwood

Coleman Delaney O'Shea O'Brien

Brady Meyler Walters (V) Duff Pilkington/Whelan/Gibson

Long (C)

Bench - Bunn, Clark, Donelly, Mason

almost finished Draft
    Westwood

Coleman Clark O'Shea O'Brien

Brady Meyler Walters (V) Duff Pilkington/Whelan/Gibson

Long (C)

Bench - Bunn, Clark, Donelly, Mason

Make up your mind man :pac:

I'd go for Pilkington even though I can see Redmond making a very strong claim for LW. Keep an eye out for Aiden McGeady I thought I heard murmurs a few weeks back but nothing since

Supposed to be Delaney starting, good spot!

Make up your mind man :pac:

I'd go for Pilkington even though I can see Redmond making a very strong claim for LW. Keep an eye out for Aiden McGeady I thought I heard murmurs a few weeks back but nothing since

think he just spelt McShane wrong....... :rolleyes:

Long. Don't go to Hull please.

Any Irish strikers, please make an 11th hour signing.

Meyler, please knock Huddlestone back out of the Hull Team.
    Pilkington, kill Redmond.

This year, even with + 17 per game week, I may be struggling even more!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Long. Don't go to Hull please.

Any Irish strikers, please make an 11th hour signing.

Meyler, please knock Huddlestone back out of the Hull Team.
    Pilkington, kill Redmond.

This year, even with + 17 per game week, I may be struggling even more!

Long would get more game time at Hull I reckon.

Lemlin wrote: »
    Long would get more game time at Hull I reckon.

Would take Brady off penalties though.

Not sure he's going to lose gametime at West Brom unless they get Sessegnon either to be fair.

Odemwingie and Lukaku out since last season. Only Anelka in (thus far)

(Ugh, Lukaku now talking to West Brom again!)

In a state of panic here.

Long (C) to share gametime with Anichebe? Sessegnon playing behind Long would suit me down to the ground, but I don't want him vying for gametime with anyone!

Anichebe isn't even that good, annoyed with the Hull issue...
    Really hoping Anichebe has messed up paperwork!

• Advertisement

Well.

We

are

****ed

Advertisement