Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Craft Beer - What beers qualify?

• 11-07-2013 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭

Hey there. My boyfriend has recently opened a bar and he just has the usual suspects on tap.

Now that's fine for most punters, but we get the occasional guy asking about craft beer.

What beers would you guys recommend that (a) will satisfy the more discerning beer drinker, but (b) would actually be a good seller.

We can't afford to have half used beer kegs sitting in our cold room, so your advice would be appreciated.

The bar is located in an area with a very mixed population so we need to be careful not to alienate either side.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,736 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

There is no real definition of Craft beer. It means different things to different people. Many people when they look for "craft" beer mean they want an Irish made beer brewed my a small independent brewery or microbrewery.
    Others might mean any beer made by a non mainstream brewery - any international microbrewery. To other it just means beer that they like.

If you were to broaden the choice of beer in your bar, please don't go down the road of getting in half a dozen international lagers and thinking you've ticked lots of boxes - you haven't - you just have another six lagers to add the the handful you already have.

For something on draught, I'd recommend something like Metalman Pale Ale from Waterford or O' Hara's Pale Ale from Carlow. Trouble Brewing Sabotage from Kildare could be an option too. I don't know where the pub is - it is also a good idea to support your local brewery - people like that.

A safer bet would be to stock some bottles - this should be risk free as any wholesaler worth their salt will refund any bottles that don't sell for you. Again, I'd stick with Irish beers to start - if they move you can expand.

You should also have one decent weissbier - I'd recommend Schneiderweiss or Weihenstaphaner.

Depending on where you are, "craft" beer drinkers may be a very small minority but if no other pub in your area caters for them, then you have a Unique Selling Point. If I was living in a town where only one pub served something other than the usual suspects - that's the pub I'd be in.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Lux23 wrote: »
    but (b) would actually be a good seller.

We can't afford to have half used beer kegs sitting in our cold room, so your advice would be appreciated.
    Other than the ones with massive marketing campaigns behind them, no beer is going to sell itself. The bar has to do it, by trained, knowledgeable and enthusiastic staff plus good point-of-sale information.

I think pale ale is the area where the craft breweries are furthest ahead of the mainstream ones, so a tap with Metalman Pale Ale, Galway Hooker or O'Hara's Pale Ale is what I'd recommend, starting out.
    A safer bet would be to stock some bottles
    True, but only if they're priced in line with the draught alternatives. Bottles which are madly more expensive than draught for no reason are much less likely to move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

O haras ipa is the best option id say. Im sure if you wantes to expand your range you could get a good deal after on their other beers. however if its just 1 tap then hooker and metalman would also be great options. Getting an irish brewer would be wise

I'm always happy if a pub has metalman, Galway hooker or 8 degrees in stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

O Hara's IPA would be the one for me. Metalman also a good suggestion.

I don't like it personally, but Galway Hooker has a great following and is an easy to drink beer (might convert some of the regular drinkers too, or at least shouldn't offend them if they try it).

I'd agree with the bottles suggestion. A good non-Irish beer to start with could be Sierra Nevada.

F.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Metalman and O'Haras IPA are the obvious options, as other have said.

O'Haras Red might also be an option for those that don't go for the big hop flavours of many pale ales and IPA.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Thanks for the advice lads, we are just going to get bottles in O'Hara's pale ale and Edelstoff, the latter because we really like it ourselves!

We are in Smithfield/Stoneybatter area so there are two bars nearby that sell lots of craft beers so we don't really want to step on their toes.

What I am going to look into is getting a beer that noone else has. From a homemade brewer even.

I will be back for more advice soon no doubt.

Slainte

O' H PA and Edelstoff is a reasonable start - just try to keep the prices reasonable.
    No bar has a monopoly on selling any beer - stocking all the beer you want is not stepping on anyone's toes and would not be regarded as such by any reasonable publican.
    You'd run into legal issues selling home brew - big legal issues.
    I'd say the only way you'll get something that no one else has would be to get it brewed specifically for you (you'd need to get through a lot) or import it yourself.
    See how you get on with those bottles, then maybe look at getting a draught in.
    The handy thing about having two beer bars close by is not only the fact that you'll have a market for craft beer but it also means you'll have no trouble getting deliveries.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bennyob

I would go with the metalman in the head to head agains o'haras ipa. Both are a smashing beer but at 5.2%, the o'haras wouldn't be as sessionable as the metalman.

There also may be a higher cost due to the extra alcohol content (im open to correction here).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I work in the B&C and Metalman is our best selling beer, by a good bit. Galway Hooker is up there as well. A large part of that is down to the fact that the staff all love Metalman so if anyone asks for a recommendation they nearly always suggest it. Personally I'd say I shift at least a keg of Metalman each week on my own.

You should have no problem selling craft beer in the Smithfield/Stoneybatter area. Mulligans, The Cobblestone, Dice Bar and Drinkstore aren't surviving there for no reason.

As the Beernut says though, staff knowledge is crucial. Convincing your staff to drink the stuff is half the battle. Get them interested, teach them about how craft beer is made, how it differs from the bland, industrial stuff and feck it, promote craft because it's Irish and keeps a bit of money in the country. If the staff are interested in the beer(which they should be) sales will come a lot easier.

From a business point of view, craft is good for you. More and more people are talking about how they'd rather sit at home with a few cans rather than pay extra in the pub. That matters less with craft beer drinkers, for 2 reasons, first of all, craft beer can't be bought in the offy for next to nothing so there's less savings to be made and second of all, a lot of craft is only available on draught, in certain pubs. You get a few regulars drinking the likes of Metalman and you'll become one of the few places they can go to get their favourite.

O'Hara's IPA and Edelstoff are good choices although be careful with the price. You'll not get too many sales of O'Hara's bottles if it's a euro more expensive than a pint (and less volume), especially if Mulligans and the Cobblestone are a few minutes away.

I'd be happy to guide you through a tasting of different craft beers if you want to call up the B&C. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

bennyob wrote: »
    There also may be a higher cost due to the extra alcohol content (im open to correction here).

Slightly, although from what I've seen most pubs absorb the extra cost themselves (or don't realise there is one).

I should point out that our staff is currently just me and my boyfriend. We don't have the funds for staff unfortunately! That's why craft beers are a risk for us, because we got lots of support from Bulmers and Diageo initially. We have to pay a deposit to some of the craft beer wholesalers on top of what we purchase. And we have to pay for the glasses too, whereas we managed to get Diageo glasses free and Bulmers want to keep us sweet given our location so they have offered us lots of stuff. We have to take it as we are literally only a week away from having to close the place, so we need that help.

Understandably, the microbreweries just don't have the funds to support us in the same way. But we know we have to offer something like that.

bennyob wrote: »
    I would go with the metalman in the head to head agains o'haras ipa. Both are a smashing beer but at 5.2%, the o'haras wouldn't be as sessionable as the metalman.

That's really interesting, was reading about sessionable recently so Metalman maybe a better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,950 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Lux, fair play to you both for being willing to take the plunge on quality local beers. You'd be pleasantly shocked as to how many decent city centre bars stock craft beers; stepping on toes of Mulligans etc will not be an issue.

I'll second Galway Hooker, Metalman and O'Hara's IPA and Red as well. These sell well and in bottles are safe bets for you early on; they are also well set up to supply draught should you wish to take the next step. Franscian Well will be also worth a look in a few months and Trouble Brewing have some great brews as well, Dark Arts Porter probably being their best beer.

When you get stocked up we should all call up and appraise your range :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,425 ✭✭✭squonk

Really not a fan of Metalman's stuff myself. I've had a few and everything I had was awful. O'Hara's and Hooker though i would drink til the cows come home! I'm very happy in any pub where I can get bottles of O'Haras or Hooker. Helvic Gold is dungarvan's best beer IMHO which is available in bottles. Let us know where the pub is and the name. I'll stop in next time I'm in Dublin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

squonk wrote: »
    Really not a fan of Metalman's stuff myself. I've had a few and everything I had was awful. O'Hara's and Hooker though i would drink til the cows come home! I'm very happy in any pub where I can get bottles of O'Haras or Hooker. Helvic Gold is dungarvan's best beer IMHO which is available in bottles. Let us know where the pub is and the name. I'll stop in next time I'm in Dublin!

Are you talking about metalmans main pale ale or the seasonal specials? id nearly agree with you about their non regulars

• Registered Users Posts: 8,425 ✭✭✭squonk

I've had their IPA, and 1 or two of their specials. Everything I've had so far makes me avoid the brand like the plague at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Can I ask what the name of the bar is?

I'd love to drop in and support a new bar in the area.

Personally I love Walsh's and Mulligan's more than my liver approves of but always happy to check out a new runner in the batter.

Sent you a PM, didnt want to get in trouble on the boards. :)

adamski8 wrote: »
    Are you talking about metalmans main pale ale or the seasonal specials? id nearly agree with you about their non regulars

Windjammer is fantastic - especially the first incarnation of it and the Chameleon Garnet was lovely too. I am a fan. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Sent you a PM, didnt want to get in trouble on the boards. :)

Drop me a PM too, we do be down in Mulligan's a good bit so wouldn't mind dropping into yourselves. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Windjammer is fantastic - especially the first incarnation of it and the Chameleon Garnet was lovely too. I am a fan. :D

Windjammer is one of the more unusual Irish beers I've tried. I thought it had a kind of mushroom-y quality. Chameleon Garnet was also good.

I had a tasting session today and I am now more confused than ever about the craft beer thing.

Out of nine beers, I found only one palatable. I really don't want to sell a beer I wouldn't drink myself. I know that sounds odd, but I can drink and enjoy lots of alcoholic beverages but I just can't find a craft beer I like.* Maybe my palate is undeveloped, but some of these were like drinking a flat, warm can of coke with ash in it.

*Apart from Edelstoff

I had a tasting session today and I am now more confused than ever about the craft beer thing.

Out of nine beers, I found only one palatable. I really don't want to sell a beer I wouldn't drink myself. I know that sounds odd, but I can drink and enjoy lots of alcoholic beverages but I just can't find a craft beer I like.* Maybe me palate is undeveloped, but some of these were like drinking a flat, warm can of coke with ash in it.

*Apart from Edelstoff
    What beers did you try?

Sierra Nevada
    Trouble Brewing
    Punk
    Dungarven something or other

I had three of the first brand, two of the second, two of the third and I could stomach the Dungarven one but so far the only one I like is Edelstoff. And I only had a small bit if each but the head on me this morning is woeful.

I'm trying O'Haras today/tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Punk
    You think Punk IPA tastes like flat warm coke with ash in it? Really?

If thats your taste description of one of the most highly rated beers in this part of the world Id think twice about what you are doing tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

drumswan wrote: »
    You think Punk IPA tastes like flat warm coke with ash in it? Really?

If thats your taste description of one of the most highly rated beers in this part of the world Id think twice about what you are doing tbh.

Yeah, not to seem like I'm having a go at you, but your description is fairly damning of some really quality beers of the ilk, and as such, maybe you should just stick to selling lagers.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭ASJ112

You don't have to love all the craft beers, you're a business so its more important to determine whether they will make you money. Where does your bf stand on the craft beer situation ?

Maybe somebody has the link, but craft beer sales have increased by around 20% while macro's are decreasing. It's only going to get bigger here over the years, so I'd make the most of it before everybody else does.

Putting in an O'Hara's stout and IPA tap would be the safest and best option to start with imo. Some people hate Punk IPA so it's not just you, but plenty of us here have drunk a hell of a lot of it.

I think you really need to go visit a load of different bars and determine where you want to fit in between craft/macro beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,950 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

OP, what drinks do you enjoy/drink is a better question.

• Advertisement

OP, what drinks do you enjoy/drink is a better question.

Heineken, Guinness, Carlsberg, Smithwicks if I have a pint. Most of the time I drink wine or vodka/soda though. I don't like anything sweet really.

Oh I like Peroni and Paulaner too, but never got why Erdinger was so popular.

The Punk ones were ok, it was Trouble Brewing that tasted the worst to me.

I think it's just that they taste like beer should really and I'm just too used to the mass produced taste.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement