Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Abbey 8ft Side topper Gearbox oil leak problems

• 08-07-2013 9:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

Hi ,
    I have an 8ft Abbey topper that is leaking oil from the gearbox onto the belts. The belts are now slipping off regularly. Is it a big job to replace the seal on the Gearbox or is there a diagram available where i can see what the part is?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭iverjohnston

I think they probably all came with "Comer" gearboxes. A good agri machinery dealership should have them. You might be best to take off the gearbox and bring it with you, to be sure of the size etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭noworries2004

Thanks.
    Whats the correct method for removing the gearbox,
    4 bolts around the gearbox and lift off from the top?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

Thanks.
    Whats the correct method for removing the gearbox,
    4 bolts around the gearbox and lift off from the top?

you would need to remove rotor underneath first, usually you remove a kinda locking clip and then loosen bolt on rotor, then you should be able to loosen bolts on gearbox and lift it out

• Registered Users Posts: 27 sinewc

Hi ,
    I have an 8ft Abbey topper that is leaking oil from the gearbox onto the belts. The belts are now slipping off regularly. Is it a big job to replace the seal on the Gearbox or is there a diagram available where i can see what the part is?

Cheers

We've got the abbey trailed topper. Had an 8ft for years, upgraded to a 9ft recently. I think they have the same gear boxes. We only ever use liquid grease in the gear boxes. It's too thick to leak out through the seals even if they are gone. I doubt comer or abbey recommend it but we've not had a bother with them in years.

Thanks the Liquid grease sound slike an easy solution i may try that to see how it goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Conor556

Get the model number off the side of the gearbox comer is usually the make, Got 1 last week for a malone semi-offset topper was €220, broke the shaft on it after hitting a stone.

Model:1.278.0300.00 GL

Took off the gearbox last night the seal around the shaft is damaged. Would i have ot open gearbox up to replace the seal?? Might get local repair man to do it incase i damage anything else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭iverjohnston

Model:1.278.0300.00 GL

Took off the gearbox last night the seal around the shaft is damaged. Would i have ot open gearbox up to replace the seal?? Might get local repair man to do it incase i damage anything else
    If you are not comfortable doing it your self, get a local mechanic to do it, stay and watch for future reference! You have done the hard and dirty work an removing it from the topper. There is just a big circlip holding the side into those gearboxs , if you mow into a lump of clay, they can open themselves....

See attached photo.
    Can the seal be replaced by removing the shaft or does the gearbox need to be taken apart?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pure breed

Hi Looking for some help/advice with a 6 ft Nugent topper
    The topper blade bar/blade carrier broke recently at the bolt holes (bolts were loose bytheway) where attached to the gearbox carrier
    We welded a piece of metal approx 2 ft long over it to stabilise and make stronger and re-drilled the holes putting bigger and stronger bolts on it. the blade bar was very solid, but after an hour of work hit a bit of loose tree / bog dale where normally the shear bolt would work not here and the blade snapped at the 2 points it was welded on either side and made dust of one of the skids.
    Not sure welding will do again as the blade bar seems to be made of softer than steel stuff.
    Anyway I am writing here to know where if possible could one purchase a new Blade bar for the topper and at what price?
    any help appreciated
    Hope i posted in the right place
    thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,874 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

welding wont work, i tried it!. i had the same problem ast year with an abbey, the whole unit was so expensive, i just bought a new 9ft:D, from now on im buying all new machines fertilliser spreaders, toppers agitators that are c""ts to fix. They arent that expensive, The likes of tractors slurry spreaders ill stay second hand

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pure breed

kevthegaff wrote: »
    welding wont work, i tried it!. i had the same problem ast year with an abbey, the whole unit was so expensive, i just bought a new 9ft:D, from now on im buying all new machines fertilliser spreaders, toppers agitators that are c""ts to fix. They arent that expensive,likes of tractors slurry spreaders ill stay second hand

I fixed the the problem bought new Blade Carrier Bar 4ft standard size €50 and reattached the blades and bolted back on etc ... also straightened the skid which got a right oul whack with a bench press and bit of persuasion. Got it going again 10 acres done now.
    Welding them bars after break a waste of time too soft!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Dampintheattic

When the devil was finished inventing wimmin, he invented toppers. -;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

See attached photo.
    Can the seal be replaced by removing the shaft or does the gearbox need to be taken apart?
    Is there a groove for a circlip? If so, you might be able to get it off over the shaft. It's hard to tell from the photo though.

Hi got the circlip off and replaced the seal, problems getting circlip back on as its tight enough to getthe circlip on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Anyone know where I could pick up a 2nd hand gearbox.

I broke my disc mower early in the year. I had an old topper parked up for past few years as gearbox gone. Don't want to buy new mower with topping skids until winter when I will get a better price.

If I could fix up this one it would get me by fit the rest of the summer and I could sell it on DD next year.

New ones are around 220 I think. Anyone know a second hand location

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Carlow00

Hi folks, Removed comer box from topper to repair pulleys. Now when I've bolted gearbox back down splined shaft is slipping in smooth center of pulley. Never done this before. Could it just of been rust holding it. Or what am I missing. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭mickey1985

Anyone ever put liquid grease into a leaking gearbox know how much do you need to put into it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,874 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

I was trying to cut the bolts under the topper and cut a slice in the gearbox which leaked, I welded the slice and its holding the oil. Will it last..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭White Clover

mickey1985 wrote: »
    Anyone ever put liquid grease into a leaking gearbox know how much do you need to put into it?

Sorry I'm not answering your question but I had a leaking gearbox last year. The seal was a 10er and a couple of hours had the box off, seal changed and box back on again. Much better job than risking the liquid grease escaping when it heats up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement