Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eBook deals!

• 10-02-2013 1:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭

Is it a little 'e'?

For those of you with a Kindle (and US account I think) Terry Goodkind's second book in the Sword of Truth series is available for free from Amazon here.

Feel free to use this for any other bargain eBooks you find!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

if you read the reviews there is a reason why the kindle version is being given away for free....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Ah, I think people are a bit harsh on poor ol' Terry Goodkind :)

Edit: I take that back - looks like there's a major formatting problem with the Kindle version - a section missing from the text.

Edit: Edit: and folks stating that formatting business was fixed.

Surely the publishers would ensure the formatting is right with double and triple checks. Not professional and not cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Seems like the Kindle version has been fixed.

Anyhows, for free I'm not gonna really complain. I've never read anything by him so it's given me that excuse at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Actually the 2nd is the one book of his that i thought halfways decent.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Neal Asher's "The Departure" is currently down to a low low $1.26 for the Kindle. Just bought it there. Second Asher book this week after he released "Mind Games" as a self published work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

ixoy wrote: »
    Neal Asher's "The Departure" is currently down to a low low $1.26 for the Kindle. Just bought it there. Second Asher book this week after he released "Mind Games" as a self published work.

Interesting, the reviews though. :/

nesf wrote: »
    Interesting, the reviews though. :/
    Yeah, I know. The sequel has gotten more positive reviews. I enjoyed some of the Owner short stories so I'll still read these.

I'm more keen though on the trilogy coming after that which is back to the Polity universe.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Ah great a kindle thread!
    Is it better to use the uk or us amazon for ebooks?
    Also I just changed my account to from the us to uk, will anything happen?

By the way Luke Scull's The Grim Company has a massive sample available its an epic 2/3 of the book.
    The book is released tomorrow for less than 3 dollars.
    I read the epic sample and was impressed. The reviews are misleading as I dont really get an Abercrombie vibe from it, its a bit more playful.
    Daverius Cole is also an excellent creation and his choice of henchmen is appaling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

World War Z (Max Brooks) is currently £1.19 on amazon.co.uk
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003WE9TU8/

A few other SF&Fantasy books in the Kindle Spring sale but nothing stood out to me.

All of the Wheel of Time books (except AMoL) are currently 50% off on Amazon.

Good for people who are looking to start the series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

On amazon.co.uk Joe Abercrombie's The Blade Itself is £1.99

On amazon.co.uk Joe Abercrombie's The Blade Itself is £1.99

The somewhat annoying thing of moving my Kindle to .co.uk is that I can no longer see on a book page if I got the Kindle edition already or not. I have to go get my iPad and check.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

Amazon.co.uk will now be including a fantasy/sci-fi book in their daily deal offer. Today is Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash for 99p.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Awesome. We'll have to keep an eye on that!

--

Has anyone read a book called Convergent Space? Any reports?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭wyrn

Anyone else having issues with this - whenever I look at the Kindle Daily Deal, the prices are low. However if I click on the list or even on one of the books it jumps up.

E.G. The Blight of Muirwood (Jeff Wheeler) $2.99, when I click on the book it's suddenly $6.06. This happens in other genres too.

Am I doing something stupid or could this be an issue with a .com Amazon account and Irish credit card?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

wyrn wrote: »
    Anyone else having issues with this - whenever I look at the Kindle Daily Deal, the prices are low. However if I click on the list or even on one of the books it jumps up.

E.G. The Blight of Muirwood (Jeff Wheeler) $2.99, when I click on the book it's suddenly $6.06. This happens in other genres too.

Am I doing something stupid or could this be an issue with a .com Amazon account and Irish credit card?

It's not you, it's them...

It seems to depend on publishers. Sometimes on the .com site the deals are available, other times they're not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭wyrn

Thoie wrote: »
    It's not you, it's them...

It seems to depend on publishers. Sometimes on the .com site the deals are available, other times they're not.

I don't know, I can't get any of the Daily Deals for Kindle. I wonder do they want me to switch to .UK. It's really rather annoying as there are a few books on my wishlist on the deals. Grrr.

EDIT: Got chatting to them, turns out it's US only the Kindle deals. The gave me a free book though, so fair play to them.

Amazon.co.uk will now be including a fantasy/sci-fi book in their daily deal offer. Today is Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash for 99p.
    And now we're back to romance book daily deals it seems. Boo!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

Google Play Books is now available in Ireland, it has been for a few days at least.

You can get a short story by Neil Gamain, 'How to talk to girls at parties', for free.

Unfortunately I can't figure out any way to add books from outside the Play store or get any DRM free books (I bought a DRM free TOR book by John Scalzi as well) out of the Play Books reader.

That is quite annoying to me. In my ideal world I'd have multiple store fronts which have different deals, shopping experiences and recommendations. Amazon knows an awful lot about what books I have bought and like so their recommendations are good. Google has great categorisation (Science Fiction can be further sub divided into about eight additional categories like Military, Space Opera etc) and a fantastic clean interface. TOR books and the other publishers like Baen have good deals and seem to me to be more supportive of their authors.

This part is all great, but after shopping I'd like to be able to take my purchases and add them to one library/reader application. I don't want to have to look through three different applications to see all the ebooks I have.

With someone like TOR I can take what I buy from them and do what I like, this means I can add it to my Kindle if that is to be my library, but I can't add them to Play Books as far as I know, I certainly don't see an option to do that. Anything I buy from Amazon or Google seems trapped in those applications even if the ebook is DRM free.

Am I incorrect in any of this? I'd certainly be delighted to hear I am.

There is a new Humble eBook Bundle running for the next twelve days. Most if not all the books could be considered SF or Fantasy.

http://www.humblebundle.com/

For those that don't know the Humble Bundle works on a 'pay what you want' system. You can get four ebooks for 1c if you wish. If you pay above the average price (currently $9.45) you get two additional books on top of the original four. Since a lot of peope pay above the average to get the bonus the average does tend to creep upwards.

These books are available in three formats. With reference to my previous post they tell you how to get their DRM free books in to Google Play Books so that is actually pretty easy (I clearly didn't try very hard before).

• Advertisement

HivemindXX wrote: »
    There is a new Humble eBook Bundle running for the next twelve days. Most if not all the books could be considered SF or Fantasy.

http://www.humblebundle.com/

For those that don't know the Humble Bundle works on a 'pay what you want' system. You can get four ebooks for 1c if you wish. If you pay above the average price (currently $9.45) you get two additional books on top of the original four. Since a lot of peope pay above the average to get the bonus the average does tend to creep upwards.

These books are available in three formats. With reference to my previous post they tell you how to get their DRM free books in to Google Play Books so that is actually pretty easy (I clearly didn't try very hard before).

Any of those any good? I don't recognise any of the authors other than Wil who doesn't interest me much.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

If referring to the the authors on the main page (I'm not familiar with humble bundle myself)
    -Not read books by Doctrow and Priest, but both considered excellent authors.
    I've read other books by Wilson, and fairly good if a bit bleak in tone.
    Bujold is a master of the sci/mil/adventure genre and I'd definitely recommend Shards.

Manach wrote: »
    If referring to the the authors on the main page (I'm not familiar with humble bundle myself)
    -Not read books by Doctrow and Priest, but both considered excellent authors.
    I've read other books by Wilson, and fairly good if a bit bleak in tone.
    Bujold is a master of the sci/mil/adventure genre and I'd definitely recommend Shards.

For 8 quid I really can't say no to that. Thanks. :)

nesf wrote: »
    For 8 quid I really can't say no to that. Thanks. :)

If you don't want the Wil Wheaton book or the Unicorn one (I'm not much for fantasy), you can pay a lot less than 8 quid if you wish. Note that sometimes Humble Bundle add more stuff later on which you get for free some of which you might only get if you pay above average. You may be able to increase the amount at that point, to be honest I've never paid below average for any of these.

With regards to Wheaton I don't have strong feelings one way or the other. I like the exposure he is bringing to board games with his Tabletop web show but apart from that I don't particularly care. I did want to know what sort of book his was so I read the first few pages when it downloaded and it is biographical and actually pretty interesting.

HivemindXX wrote: »
    If you don't want the Wil Wheaton book or the Unicorn one (I'm not much for fantasy), you can pay a lot less than 8 quid if you wish. Note that sometimes Humble Bundle add more stuff later on which you get for free some of which you might only get if you pay above average. You may be able to increase the amount at that point, to be honest I've never paid below average for any of these.

With regards to Wheaton I don't have strong feelings one way or the other. I like the exposure he is bringing to board games with his Tabletop web show but apart from that I don't particularly care. I did want to know what sort of book his was so I read the first few pages when it downloaded and it is biographical and actually pretty interesting.

I always pay more than average for the bundles. Even if I don't want the freebies.

Yeah I respect his work with Tabletop. I just haven't forgiven him for Wesley yet. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭DeWinterZero

There's another e-book bundle similar in style to the Humble Bundle

http://storybundle.com/

They have a minimum price of $3 with the bonus books unlocking at $10 and it can be split between authors, site & charity.

Authors are Kevin J Anderson, Michael A Stackpole, David Farland, Mike Resnick, B. V. Larson, Kristine Kathryn Rusch. Bonus books are by Frank Herbert and by Gregory Benford.

I've read the Benford & the Resnick and enjoyed them. The Frank Herbert was only recently published so it can't be that good (he's been dead nearly 30 years). I dislike Anderson immensely. Haven't read anything by the other authors.

David Farland is a pseudonym of Dave Wolverton.

Currently the majority of Guy Gavriel Kay's output, including 'Tigana' (which is the only book of his I've read and I loved it), are going for £2.99 each on amazon.co.uk. On the basis of that one book, I've bought four more titles as the price was too good to pass up.

Currently the majority of Guy Gavriel Kay's output, including 'Tigana' (which is the only book of his I've read and I loved it), are going for £2.99 each on amazon.co.uk. On the basis of that one book, I've bought four more titles as the price was too good to pass up.

Sh*t not on offer on the US store :(

Have always wanted to read him and this would've been my tipping point.

Anyone else who moved to the .co.uk site with their Kindle suddenly find themselves unable to buy books from the UK site anymore? I'm being told now that I need to go to the American site.

• Advertisement

Anyone else who moved to the .co.uk site with their Kindle suddenly find themselves unable to buy books from the UK site anymore? I'm being told now that I need to go to the American site.

One sec, I'll check.

Advertisement