Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Chances of being killed in the PSNI?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Royal87

kerry4sam wrote: »
    I won't be applying for full-time in An Garda Síochána but seriously looking into the PSNI and am being told the same as you re:not applying, repeatedly. Still won't ever apply for full-time Guards in the South, but no harm in applying and hopefully making interview stage for the PSNI and explaining my reasons.
    Decisions, decisions.

From dublin lad don't be put off by other people's views go for it no offence when ur number is up its up u could get a smash of a car tomorrow joining the psni won't increase your chances of been killed. Fair enough risk factor is there but so is with the Gardai look at the poor lad **** few months back. You have much more better equipment in the psni compared to the guards and better resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Irish abroad

Just one point I'm sure it's not been covered yet. If you live in the republic and work North for the PSNI you cannot bring your weapon home with you.

Just one point I'm sure it's not been covered yet. If you live in the republic and work North for the PSNI you cannot bring your weapon home with you.

This is interesting you saying if you live in the south but work as psni officer up north u can't

Yep...PSNI officers can't bring their personal issued weapon south of the border.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Gilbert Grape

In the last 2 years in Derry 3 serving officers families have been targeted with bombs left outside their houses and a serving officer shot while leaving his kids to school,don't think it's worth the risk for yourself or family to be honest.There's a high chance someone will find out.

• Advertisement

Yep...PSNI officers can't bring their personal issued weapon south of the border.

I was told if you join and your from the south you can't live in the south and travel to work in the north which I don't believe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Gee-22

In the last 2 years in Derry 3 serving officers families have been targeted with bombs left outside their houses and a serving officer shot while leaving his kids to school,don't think it's worth the risk for yourself or family to be honest.There's a high chance someone will find out.

I hope there are many more that think like you do. Less applications the better.

If you don't want to put your life at risk font join the emergency services.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Dekkers

If I were to play devils advocate I would say that in 2012 7 police officers were killed in the line of duty in England including 4 who were shot.

I'm not saying the threat to their lives in general is as high as it is here in Northern Ireland. Just important to put any figures in perspective.

It's a dangerous job.

Royal87 wrote: »
    I was told if you join and your from the south you can't live in the south and travel to work in the north which I don't believe

You could/can but I would never even think about it....
    I don't think anyone would for many many reasons its not viable, distance, security, inland revenue/ tax, can't bring your PPW with you... Etc

Ps Would you trust the Guards responding to your call for help if those with woolly faces are outside your door after following you home in your 131 D 12356 plate car .... Seen stuck in traffic & pulling into Armagh Police Stn every week
    They will be Unarmed ! & will have to wait for armed back up .
    Commit to PSNI / NI and live & work there or don't.

Don't even think about it for a sec longer .. (IMHO)

Dekkers wrote: »
    If I were to play devils advocate I would say that in 2012 7 police officers were killed in the line of duty in England including 4 who were shot.

I'm not saying the threat to their lives in general is as high as it is here in Northern Ireland. Just important to put any figures in perspective.

It's a dangerous job.

Dangerous, it's fecking mental

Well said Dekkers it's true
    I was nearly killed last year by a TWOC'D car pure luck saved me, Stabbed you name it.

The north has the constant pressure of watching your back , UK does not . Mainly due to population .

60 million in the Uk mainland

1.8 in NI

My station in 5 miles from me, if "when" I'm PSNI I'd be 20-30+ miles away . Ireland is a small place .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

kerry4sam wrote: »
    I won't be applying for full-time in An Garda Síochána but seriously looking into the PSNI and am being told the same as you re:not applying, repeatedly. Still won't ever apply for full-time Guards in the South, but no harm in applying and hopefully making interview stage for the PSNI and explaining my reasons.
    Decisions, decisions.

Hi Kerry4sam,

I hope you dont mind me asking,but I thought you were mad into AGS and joining? I noticed your name in a few other threads?

Canyon86:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭HighburyLad

Dangerous, it's fecking mental

Well said Dekkers it's true
    I was nearly killed last year by a TWOC'D car pure luck saved me, Stabbed you name it.

The north has the constant pressure of watching your back , UK does not . Mainly due to population .

60 million in the Uk mainland

1.8 in NI

My station in 5 miles from me, if "when" I'm PSNI I'd be 20-30+ miles away . Ireland is a small place .

So true Irish, its a small place alright, pretty much guaranteed that you'll bump into someone you've arrested or had dealings with when off duty within the PSNI at some point in your life, trust me, I know from experiences I've had with family.

See to be honest (in reference to this thread) when it comes down to it all, its all about common sense, my opinion anyway, and anybody who has any doubts or sorta fears as such, don't apply, next thing you know as well as hurting yourself or worse, you'll get those working with you hurt or worse because of apprehensions, when you join here there is going to be people and to be honest the way things have been lately there is going to be a "lot" of people, from both sides who will not like you because of that uniform, and will want to hurt you, and some worse, that's a part of the job here, and that's fact and that's not really any different from other police services through out the world, but them's the brakes as they say, make peace with it, and apply and get in, and that's all there is to it lol

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

tbh wrote: »
    I hope you're not hoping to become a detective...... ;)

http://www.psni.police.uk/deaths_cy.pdf

Excellent breakdown.

If people want to put that kind of thought into it, it would seem civilians are at the most risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Bob Law

Thought I'd bump up this coversation with a new thread:

We've seen a real increase in actual bombs/hijackings across NI over the last few weeks (opposed to the seemingly neverending bomb scare hoaxes), is this a sign of things to come or has it been this bad and the media haven't been reporting it to the extent they have recently?

I had the talk with the other half as she really didn't want me to take the job if I'm given an offer and it wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be. Best thing I did was getting her to talk to a few serving friends of mine and they helped aliviate some of her fears (i.e. the RA kicking in the door and shooting us)

I have no fear of joining the PSNI in terms of my own safety, I believe I've more chance of being killed as a civillian than I do as an officer.

I did have to take a 2nd think when I thought about the fact in 4/5 years I'll probably be married with kids, what is the situation going to be like then?

Then I thought, sure f**k, someones got to do it and it may as well be someone like myself, can't sit in an office looking at spreadhseets the rest of my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭ctaylorf

Can I ask why are civilian staff at more risk?

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭el pasco

MaxPSNI wrote: »
    After telling people I'm joining the PSNI, I've had nothing but strong advice to reconsider due to car bombs and shootings. This doesn't worry me; what does worry me is the effect it has on my family/friends who are concerned. I was wondering if anyone had any statistics from the past few years of how many officers died per year? Are they actually that common or is it partly due to the media?

My other question is: are Catholics targeted?

Thank you for the help.

Firstly you shouldn't be telling anyone your joining the PSNI
    Secondly what do you mean joining??
    As there is recruitment on at the minute and if you are doing this then about 1% get in who apply so chances are you won't get in so nothing to worry about

Thirdly more PSNI officers died for road accidents than killings since the PSNI was founded so you're the chances are very very slim Most US police forces are far more dangerous

Fourthly it depends where you are stationed the current recruitment is for Belfast and the north west so there could be some trouble but as long as you keep your head down and to your self and your mouth shut and do your security checks then it should be no bother

But like I said unless you have passed all your entry exams and are a trainee police officers (even then you might not pass all your exams for the passing out parade and you are still under 2 year probation after that) then the lightly good is that no you won't make it to become a trainee police officer never mind a police officer

Yes Cathoilc are targets I think about 100 left one year due to this but that is still small in the over all numbers

Also if you are a police trainee then you should think of your family etc as they never joined the police and they are not getting paid for it so keep your mouth shut especially on Facebook which you will have to leave if you join

Royal87 wrote: »

That's not true I know a PSNI officer who lives in th south but work in the north
    Even during the troubles there was an RUC officers McClean who lives in Dongeal but was shot dead by the PIRA

You could/can but I would never even think about it....
    I don't think anyone would for many many reasons its not viable, distance, security, inland revenue/ tax, can't bring your PPW with you... Etc

Ps Would you trust the Guards responding to your call for help if those with woolly faces are outside your door after following you home in your 131 D 12356 plate car .... Seen stuck in traffic & pulling into Armagh Police Stn every week
    They will be Unarmed ! & will have to wait for armed back up .
    Commit to PSNI / NI and live & work there or don't.

Don't even think about it for a sec longer .. (IMHO)

Actually the Garda go over and above th call of duty for the PSNI they really do and they really do help PSNI officers here they're very very friendly with each other actually

Goonerdee wrote: »
    You'd be unarmed and there is only a number of border crossings you could use. I think that would be even more dangerous.

I disagree as one here cares really as so anyone who would be after you would stand out and the Garda are very good on the intelligence as not one PSNI officer living here was targeted and even the few British soldiers based here were given warnings

You and your family would have a much more normal life here also
    Every thing in the north is then and us mentality expect in the posh areas that doesn't really happen here

Goonerdee wrote: »
    There are members of my family I wont tell, because they either have dodgy friends or big mouths. So I definately wont be telling strangers, only five people know I have applied in the past, three are immediate family and two are police officers.

Did you get into the PSNI yet if not then nothing to worry about SIMPLE

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Sthm

el pasco wrote: »
    As there is recruitment on at the minute and if you are doing this then about 1% get in who apply so chances are you won't get in so nothing to worry about

The odds are certainly stacked against applicants, but success in a campaign for 440-500 spots is significantly higher than a 1% chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

Also if you are a police trainee then you should think of your family etc as they never joined the police and they are not getting paid for it so keep your mouth shut especially on Facebook which you will have to leave if you join

Never heard of this :confused: If true I'm sure it's not enforced as I know several officers on FB.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

There is inevitably going to be some hysteria but this is nothing a cit of common sense can't take care of.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Space_Invader

Firstly you shouldn't be telling anyone your joining the PSNI
    Secondly what do you mean joining??

Thirdly more PSNI officers died for road accidents than killings since the PSNI was founded so you're the chances are very very slim Most US police forces are far more dangerous

Fourthly it depends where you are stationed the current recruitment is for Belfast and the north west so there could be some trouble but as long as you keep your head down and to your self and your mouth shut and do your security checks then it should be no bother

But like I said unless you have passed all your entry exams and are a trainee police officers (even then you might not pass all your exams for the passing out parade and you are still under 2 year probation after that) then the lightly good is that no you won't make it to become a trainee police officer never mind a police officer

Yes Cathoilc are targets I think about 100 left one year due to this but that is still small in the over all numbers

This reply reeks of pure BS. Don't you be getting your hopes up either with that grammar.

Homer01 wrote: »
    Never heard of this :confused: If true I'm sure it's not enforced as I know several officers on FB.

Well that's what I was told for security but I could be wrong

This reply reeks of pure BS. Don't you be getting your hopes up either with that grammar.

How does it reek if pure BS explain??
    What do you mean don't be getting your hopes up with that grammar??

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Space_Invader

How does it reek if pure BS explain??
    What do you mean don't be getting your hopes up with that grammar??

Say we're being pessimistic here and 2500 got through to AC, then the odds of being one of the 100 trainees for 2014 would be 4%. Considering that there's probably less than 2000 through to the AC stage and there is up to 478, then the odds are about 24%, which is quite good. So the odds of getting in are actually much higher that your made up 1%.

Your post does nothing but tell a person going through selection that they'll probably not get in and to 'keep their mouth shut'. I suggest you take your own advice on that one.

In relation to your grammar; you have told someone that they probably will never become a trainee Police Officer for no reason. Therefore, I am giving you a reason in line with your theory that none of us will ever become trainee Police Officers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭wannabegard

I am curious to know if there are any people from the Republic of Ireland who are either in training, currently serving or in the process of applying for the PSNI and would like to know how the are getting on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 The Fresh Prince

I am curious to know if there are any people from the Republic of Ireland who are either in training, currently serving or in the process of applying for the PSNI and would like to know how the are getting on?

Bit of a strange thread to post this in... Would you not have been better served creating a new thread for your question? It doesn't really have much to do with the topic of this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭wannabegard

dont know how mate

Advertisement