Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Black residue on bbs?

• 19-06-2013 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

I have my AEG about 3 weeks now and have gone skirmishing with it twice now so I cleaned it today for the first time. So I gave the barrel a good clean using silicone oil until there was no more residue on the cloths, once I did this I buffed the barrel with dry cloths 2 or 3 times.

The gun seems to be shooting well just for one thing the first 10 to 20 bbs had some black residue on them, I was just wondering if this is normal or should I give the barrel another go over?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭brenak47

If u cleaned it with hop up still on the barrel chances are u went in to close to the rubber an left some of the dirt there. If its that dirty i'd recomend removing the hop up for a good clean on the barrel and then give the inside of the rubber a wipe with a dry cloth. Warm water will clean the barrel and that way u don't have to worry about getting oil into the hop up rubber.Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭CobraClan

brenak47 wrote: »
    If u cleaned it with hop up still on the barrel chances are u went in to close to the rubber an left some of the dirt there. If its that dirty i'd recomend removing the hop up for a good clean on the barrel and then give the inside of the rubber a wipe with a dry cloth. Warm water will clean the barrel and that way u don't have to worry about getting oil into the hop up rubber.Hope this helps

Thanks for the reply! I made sure the hop up was off before I cleaned the barrel and I was sure not to touch the hop up while cleaning the gun but you could be right.

Is there a way of getting into the hop up without taking the gun apart, its my first AEG and Im not confident enough in dismantling the gun?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Have you checked your mags

The mags seem grand but haven't cleaned them yet but there was no residue on the bbs before I cleaned the barrel, it was only the first few bbs that came out of the gun that had residue on them after the barrel was cleaned the rest of the bbs came out grand!

U might have cleared it. What aeg is it some are easy to get to some need a bit of dismantling.U tube is the best to find vids of how to dismantle and reassemble your aeg. Any other question just ask.

• Advertisement

U might have cleared it. What aeg is it some are easy to get to some need a bit of dismantling.U tube is the best to find vids of how to dismantle and reassemble your aeg. Any other question just ask.

Cheers mate! My AEG is a GR15 Raider L. I've been watching videos on youtube about dismantling it because I plan on installing a tbb 6.03 into it, I'm going to give it a go myself but I wont attempt to do it until I get the barrel which wont be for a while yet. Just have one question, my gun maxes at 290- 310 fps never more, if I was to install a tbb is there a chance it could max over the 328 fps or would it only up it a bit.

Ah the same as myself theres only 2 pin holding the top reciever on its handy to do. I changed mine to a tbb and now runs around 323 on a hot day so u should be ok. The only thing to watch for is the little nub in the hop up chamber u don't want to loose it. I lay out a towel when working on my guns so nothing gets lost again it will show all in the vid. Im based near naas kildare if your near by i could help u.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭T4RGET

CobraClan wrote: »
    Cheers mate! My AEG is a GR15 Raider L. I've been watching videos on youtube about dismantling it because I plan on installing a tbb 6.03 into it, I'm going to give it a go myself but I wont attempt to do it until I get the barrel which wont be for a while yet. Just have one question, my gun maxes at 290- 310 fps never more, if I was to install a tbb is there a chance it could max over the 328 fps or would it only up it a bit.

Raiders are the nicest AEG's to take apart. Just pop the front pin out (the one by the magwell). it doesn't come out all the way so just push it out untill it stops; it's so that you don't lose it :). Than just slide the top receiver off, make sure the dust cover doesn't open, if it does it can catch on the retention pin and make sliding the receiver off difficult. Once you slide the receiver off, place your hand on the charging handle. it has a spring on it so make sure you don't lose it.

Then you can either leave the charging handle there or take it off, i tend to remove it as it sometimes falls off anyways.

then turn top receiver upsides down and you should see the hop up chamber, grab it and slide that and the barrel out. From here you can see if the barrel is still dirty. if you need a hand taking the hop up apart, post back or like Bren said check youtube :)

Cheers for the advice lads! I live in North inner city Dublin so a bit away from Naas, I only live around the corner from SG Airsoft so if I come across any real problems I can always call on them. Just one more thing, would you always strip the gun when cleaning the barrel or is this just something you do when giving the gun a good go over?

Me i just take it apart all the time for an easier and better clean.For the extra few mins its worth it.This is just my opinion everyone will differ.

• Advertisement

Me i just take it apart all the time for an easier and better clean.For the extra few mins its worth it.This is just my opinion everyone will differ.

Cheers! You say you have a Gr15 raider, is it the long version and what length is the tbb you installed in it?

Its the long and it was a 363 i got but its a few mill longer the the stock barrel.

Thanks for answering my questions, its been a great help!

No hassle man glad to be of some help.

Advertisement