Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who likes Disco?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Hugh Cream

If you want to quote the disco wiki page.

Taken from a paragraph entitled early history of disco.

*In New York City musicians and audiences from the female, homosexual, black, and Latino communities adopted several traits from the hippies  and psychedelia. They included overwhelming sound, free-form dancing, trippy" lighting, colorful costumes. *

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

In the grand scheme of catagorising on boards.ie, the Soul & R 'n' B & Funk forum is the most suitable place for Disco discussion, unless you put it under the general Music forum.

From my experience, there will always be disco dropped into a funk set by a DJ, and it will mesh in nicely.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Hugh Cream wrote: »
    As is the case with disco, and funk /soul /r&b.
    Listen I wouldn't claim to have an encyclopedic knowledge of disco but I know enough to be able to say it is a completely separate genre that definitely shouldn't be bracketed with funk /soul /r&b.

You just contradicted yourself. How can you definitively say something about a subject you admit not to be an expert about?
    "Pop" is influenced by r&b/rap

Sure. But what does that have to do with what we are talking about?
    classical music has been influenced by rap

Not even slightly. Perhaps some 'modern classical' music has emulated some hip hop style music but to say "classical music has been influenced by rap" is completely false. Classical music is centeries older than rap.
    country and rap have influenced each other at times.

I have to disagree. There is a distinction between a few artists borrowing snippets from genres and incorporating them into their own music of an already established genre and an entire genre influencing another already established genre.
    Disco did not originate out of the ashes of funk or soul.

Nobody said anything about ashes. All of these genres ran in parallel through large parts of their life times.
    If you want to quote the disco wiki page.
    Taken from a paragraph entitled early history of disco.

*In New York City musicians and audiences from the female, homosexual, black, and Latino communities adopted several traits from the hippies  and psychedelia. They included overwhelming sound, free-form dancing, trippy" lighting, colorful costumes. *

I read that too, it does nothing to argue either of our sides.

To be legit, I've suspected that you are one of two things from the beginning.
    1. A troll.
    2. Young.
    To be honest, I don't really care either way. I've enjoyed discussing the origins and influence of disco.
    Here is another disco classic for those who do enjoy it. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭abceire

I do love disco from the time when it first started, an good albums I could get?
    Or Dj sets? I try find albums but they are full of the BeeGees etc, and while I've nothing bad to say about them, it's not my taste.
    Have any of you heard the phantom slot from 6pm on Saturdays, it my favourite radio show, Kelly Ann Byrne.
    So if I like the music in this thread, were is good to go hear it besides Twisted Pepper? I like that place but I'm 35 and feel a bit old in there.
    I'm going to see some comedy Saturday night and want to go for a few drinks after in Dublin city centre area.

P.s. Disco just seems like a genre that we shouldn't be internet arguing over. Make disco not war.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

How's about some Italo disco :D

abceire wrote: »
    I do love disco from the time when it first started, an good albums I could get?

A great compilation is Disco Connection. There is a least 2 of them. Those would be a good place to start.

Also, do a search on Mixcloud for Cut Chemist's disco mix.
    Actually, here it is on Sound Cloud:
    https://soundcloud.com/cut-chemist/cut-chemist-disco-is-dead-1973-1979

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Hugh Cream

iamstop wrote: »
    You just contradicted yourself. How can you definitively say something about a subject you admit not to be an expert about?

the same way i can claim to be no expert on rock, or pop, or techno, but can at the same time definitely claim they have no place in this forum.
    you are seriously not suggesting that if someone has not got an expert/encyclopedic knowledge about certain things they have no right discussing it?
    Sure. But what does that have to do with what we are talking about?
    what you are talking about is sporadic influence.
    Not even slightly. Perhaps some 'modern classical' music has emulated some hip hop style music but to say "classical music has been influenced by rap" is completely false. Classical music is centeries older than rap.
    is modern classical not classical?
    it is exactly the same thing, a hip hop artist using a classical string, or vice versa is the same as a funk artist using some disco influences.

I read that too, it does nothing to argue either of our sides.
    of course it does, it backs up my argument.

To be legit, I've suspected that you are one of two things from the beginning.
    1. A troll.
    2. Young.
    To be honest, I don't really care either way. I've enjoyed discussing the origins and influence of disco.
    fair play fella, i wondered how long it would be before you reverted to that, a dig wrapped up in a thank you for talking to me about disco, classy.:rolleyes:

Anyone know any disco events on this weekend??

• Advertisement

What he said, I'm in town tomorrow night and wondering were to go after my thing is over around 11pm.

She.

I wish we had some weekly equivalent to Horse Meat Disco.

Sorry I should've said, what they said.
    I do like Twisted Pepper and The Globe, Twisted Pepper you'd feel at bit old, well I would I'm 35. Anseo is good too.

No responses.......oh dublin disco, where are you?

I'm living in Tallaght village, I went to Trinity Orcastra last night in Vicar St, they played the music of Queen and Michael Jackson, it was a great night, they'd singers and backing singers, and a band aswell as the orcastra, great atmosphere, I highly recommend this night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Enjoy this disco classic ....

Excellent!!!

Inkeepin wi the diva disco...

Lovin' it... I haven't heard that in years, it's got a smooth 70's groove.
    Another disco classic from 80's, still sounds great:

• Registered Users Posts: 26 spongehaed

• Advertisement

I'm going to be playing about 50 minutes of records at the Winnipeg Fringe fest here in Canada in a few hours. I was getting my set together and remembered this absolute disco smasher. Serious beast of a tune. I shall be dropping it accordingly.

La_Gordy wrote: »
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLGQhwCwlvk

I can't believe you posted that! I was going to post Laura Branigan's version anyway .... same song, different singer, different production:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭shootermacg

I picked up this rare disco 12" a few days ago on my travels in Canada:

@oracle
    That really isn't disco at all. I was going to remove it but I'll leave. There are other tracks on this page (4) that are not disco either so I don't want to go deleting half the page. Try to stay on topic posing in here though please.
    Here is a true disco track:

• Advertisement

MOD: Wrong forum, Soul, Funk and R n' B only here, not euro-techno or whatever that was

Advertisement