Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monaghan Town Council & Household Charge

• 18-06-2013 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭

I noticed last year that the green spaces in Monaghan town estates were being cut by the council every few days so decided at the end of last month to note some dates. They were cut on:

Monday May 27th
    Thursday May 30th
    Tuesday June 4th
    Thursday June 13th
    Tuesday June 18th

At this rate of going the'll be cut 6-7 times in a month! Does anyone know if this is outsourced or do they cut it themselves and more importantly does this grass cutting policy sit well with us who have had to pay the household tax?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Not sure what you saying, are the same patches getting mowed every 3 days or different patches being mowed on different days? What makes you think it's the council who are paying and not a residents committee in each area?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭BarneyMc

It's the same patch. It's not the residents paying - I'm a resident and I don't pay, the council do.

Just a few more dates I've noticed the grass has been cut (same patch) lately:

Wednesday July 24th
    Monday July 29th
    Friday Aug 2nd
    Tuesday Aug 6th

Yes that's 4 times in 14 days! Good value for the tax payer?

We pay for grass cutting privately.
    The old contractor used to cut it 5-6 times per year for a fixed price. The green was usually left till the grass was long and full of weeds between cuts, and he had to dispose of tonnes of grass cuttings.
    We now have a new contractor. He cuts it far more often, the grass is kept short and tidy. Because he cuts so often the cuttings can be left to mulch and feed the grass and he has no waste to dispose.
    I don't care if he cuts it every weekend because the bottom line is he charges us less for the fixed price contract (probably because he has no waste charges) than the previous guy.
    My point being that more frequent cutting doesn't necessarily mean more expensive cutting.

Perhaps that's the same for Monaghan TC or whoever pays for your area.

4 times in 14 days? I could eat the grass that came off that green area today at tomorrow's breakfast!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

It's because when it gets long the mower leaves ugly lines of grass that eventually turns brown, so cutting it so often means you won't be left with that brown grass because the grass is that bit shorter and blends in easier!

It's because when it gets long the mower leaves ugly lines of grass that eventually turns brown, so cutting it so often means you won't be left with that brown grass because the grass is that bit shorter and blends in easier!

Yes I'm aware that a green area looks better when cut often and those "ugly lines of grass" tend not to show up. I have cut grass once or twice. However, we're all paying extra taxes to local authorities and I don't think manicured lawns are really needed.

Surely cutting the grass once a week rather than twice a week would be more than enough? It's typical of how the taxpayer is treated in this country.

BarneyMc wrote: »
    Yes I'm aware that a green area looks better when cut often and those "ugly lines of grass" tend not to show up. I have cut grass once or twice. However, we're all paying extra taxes to local authorities and I don't think manicured lawns are really needed.

Surely cutting the grass once a week rather than twice a week would be more than enough? It's typical of how the taxpayer is treated in this country.

You're assuming it's costing the tax payer more.
    I have shown that in our area that more frequent cutting actually costed less because the contractor could leave the cuttings and avoid the not insignificant expense in transporting and disposing of grass cuttings at a registered waste facility.

It's nearly 2 months now since your OP, have you yet contacted MTC or MCC to establish that facts?

slimjimmc wrote: »
    You're assuming it's costing the tax payer more.
    I have shown that in our area that more frequent cutting actually costed less because the contractor could leave the cuttings and avoid the not insignificant expense in transporting and disposing of grass cuttings at a registered waste facility.

How often did they cut the grass for you before the more frequent cutting pattern and then when they embraced the more frequent cutting pattern? I bet it wasn't as frequent as the council here.

Are you saying cutting the grass 4 times in 14 days is necessary to avoid having to collect the grass and dispose of? I could have stuffed the tiny amount of grass that came off each cutting up my nose!

How often did they cut the grass for you before the more frequent cutting pattern and then when they embraced the more frequent cutting pattern? I bet it wasn't as frequent as the council here.
    Scroll up.
    Are you saying cutting the grass 4 times in 14 days is necessary to avoid having to collect the grass and dispose of? I could have stuffed the tiny amount of grass that came off each cutting up my nose!
    I have no idea what was necessary for there. I do know my own little "far from manicured" lawn needed to be cut twice in one week due to a rapid growth spurt.

Again I ask you the question (which you appear to have ignored) have you sought factual answers from the local authorities on the cost of all this mowing? I look forward to you posting their reply.

• Advertisement

Scroll up.

Old cutting every few months V new cutting every weekend or twice a week?

I have no idea what was necessary for there.
    Exactly! Just for the record grass in Monaghan does not need to be cut twice in one week.
    Scroll up.
    Again I ask you the question (which you appear to have ignored) have you sought factual answers from the local authorities on the cost of all this mowing? I look forward to you posting their reply.
    I'll have to ask a councillor to bring this up. Whether I get 'factual' answers or not is another thing.

By the way have you got factual proff that the reason your contractor charges less now is because they mow more frequently?

Advertisement