Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Airport Live BBC 2 17/6/13 20.00

Options
  • 12-06-2013 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭

Heads up folks,BBC 2 are beginning a 4 part series called Airport Live that looks at LHR and all the various ops that go with a large international airport. Seems to be a mix of live and pre-recorded segments.

There's a few video trailers for the show here:http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p018t3xg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

lord lucan wrote: »
    Heads up folks,BBC 2 are beginning a 4 part series called Airport Live that looks at LHR and all the various ops that go with a large international airport. Seems to be a mix of live and pre-recorded segments.

There's a few video trailers for the show here:http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p018t3xg

Don't forget this one folks. Tomorrow night at 8pm on BBC 2. Sounds like its well worth a watch.

Sky box set on series link.......... It's running on Tues, Weds & Thurs too.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭joegriffinjnr

Thanks for the heads up. Just hit the record button on the owl box.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Interesting so far, one EI a/c spotted already.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭A320

Good show,very good how some of it was live!!

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

Wonder what happened to Dan Snow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

I really enjoyed it. Gave me such a nice insight to everyday ops of Heathrow. My dad seemed to enjoy it a lot and I definitely can't wait for tomorrow night's episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Great show... I really Enjoyed it and looking forward to tomorrows.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Interesting programme. I watched it with FR24 running on the iPad.

I'm looking forward to the next instalment.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭WhatYaSay

Really enjoyed it tonight, fairly unbelievable access they've been given to the entire airport. Reminds how much I'm working in completely the wrong industry! How would those lads have gotten to aircraft dispatch, worked up from ground/baggage role?

Aww no :mad:!- I'm after missing tonight's episode. And BBC don't do repeats as a rule. Will def be tuning in for the rest of it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

inthehat wrote: »
    Aww no :mad:!- I'm after missing tonight's episode. And BBC don't do repeats as a rule. Will def be tuning in for the rest of it.

BBC do a huge number of repeats. It'll either be on BBC4 in a few months or another BBC channel during the week. If its on after 11pm its probably a signed repeat, which are a little bit distracting to watch but if you want to see a show enough, you'll cope.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Excellent show,thoroughly enjoyed it and really looking forward to the following programmes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

Was on the check in when got my notification. Thank god for iplayer. would love a lot of people to watch the show would give them a better insight into what really goes on. The passengers really dont know what is done

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭EI-DOR

I really enjoyed it. Would make you want to become an ATC very easily. Looking forward to the remaining episodes!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I didn't really expect much so I only recorded it to watch whenever. It seems you all enjoyed it so I must watch it tomorrow asap and catch the rest of it live.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭conor_ie

Fecks sake I missed it... anyone know where I'd be able to watch it online... bbc iplayer is a no no!!

Will defo record the rest of it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

excellent programme

love to work in a airport, esp the job of towing the aircraft

Oh wow

When they said Airpot Live..they weren't kidding

Can't wait for today's episode now

• Registered Users Posts: 7,465 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Here's episode 1 on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozYdENqyu-g

Looking forward to tonights.

Tonights was pretty good too. They're really trying to cover as many ops as they possibly can. Even Mrs. Lucan who has zero interest in aviation took an interest in the show and was asking lots of questions. If it gives the non-aviation enthusiasts even a bit of an idea of what goes on behind the scenes at a major airport then it's doing something right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭dukedalton

I've watched both episodes so far and they've made for fairly informative and entertaining viewing. Personally I have found the best segments to be those that were pre-recorded; the interaction between the presenters and the workers during the live segments seems to me to be awkward and contrived. Which leads me to wonder, why did they decide to make this a live show? Why not make a recorded series instead?

dukedalton wrote: »
    I've watched both episodes so far and they've made for fairly informative and entertaining viewing. Personally I have found the best segments to be those that were pre-recorded; the interaction between the presenters and the workers during the live segments seems to me to be awkward and contrived. Which leads me to wonder, why did they decide to make this a live show? Why not make a recorded series instead?

I think the live aspect was meant to give it an extra edge and give an idea of real time ops at the airport,like turnarounds for example. The original presenter pulled out due to family reasons at the last minute and the woman who is at the tower stepped in. Aviation is obviously not her forte,even admitting she doesn't like airports,and she looks a bit out of her depth. The guy,Dallas,seems very into it and seems to know a reasonable amount about the industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

didn't realise there was so much to learn with the taxi'ing batts

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭A320

fryup wrote: »
    didn't realise there was so much to learn with the taxi'ing batts

There's not much.yer man fairly milked it!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

Couple of points:

The A check of the 747 showed a video of checking the blades of the engines, did anyone notice the date on the screen. Sometime around 2011.

Also, Heathrow is an airport so several airlines are going in and out of there every day. This programme looks like a serious love-in for British Airways!! :mad:

Maybe the BBC could be a bit impartial and interview some Virgin, Aer Lingus, and other airline people and not just the BA ground crew, BA chief pilot etc.

In case you are not aware, but Aer Lingus is the 3rd largest holder of slots at Heathrow and not a look in for the green there.

BBC - VERY ONE SIDED!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Couple of points:

The A check of the 747 showed a video of checking the blades of the engines, did anyone notice the date on the screen. Sometime around 2011.

Also, Heathrow is an airport so several airlines are going in and out of there every day. This programme looks like a serious love-in for British Airways!! :mad:

Maybe the BBC could be a bit impartial and interview some Virgin, Aer Lingus, and other airline people and not just the BA ground crew, BA chief pilot etc.

In case you are not aware, but Aer Lingus is the 3rd largest holder of slots at Heathrow and not a look in for the green there.

Didn't see last night but on Monday night they were in a Qantas A380 and a Singapore A380 and they compared BA turn around with a Virgin turn around. Hardly one sided.

Couple of points:

A love in for British Airways?? In Britain?? By the British Broadcasting Corporation?

Somebody call the cops..

In yesterday's show Dallas was in a Qantas A380 being towed iirc and the two turnaround managers, one was BA other was Virgin.

BA chief pilot? I wouldn't know too much about this but..what would an EI chief pilot be doing in Heathrow? And in case you're not aware BA is much much bigger than EI in Heathrow, EI might be the 3rd largest slot holder but it's dwarfed by BA.

Edit: Sorry not yesterday's episode, Monday night's episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Shamrock231

Isn't Aer Lingus now the second biggest operator of flights out of Heathrow since they started doing the Virgin Little Red flights?

Isn't Aer Lingus now the second biggest operator of flights out of Heathrow since they started doing the Virgin Little Red flights?

Well..in 2012 they were the 5th largest airline operating out of LHR in terms of passengers. I'm not sure what the Little Red wet lease would do to the numbers this year but even then..that's just a technicality to the passengers and the show's producers isn't it?

Here are the passenger numbers:

BA - 31,675,000
    Virgin - 3,710,000
    Lufthansa - 2,386,000
    AA - 2,229,000
    Aer Lingus - 2,069,000

So British Airways carried 15 times more passengers than Aer Lingus and 10 times more than Virgin from Heathrow in 2012. In terms of movements Aer lingus is the fourth largest, but BA is still 14 or 15 times larger. Of course there were more BA flights in the show than EI, Preset No.3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Shamrock231

I wasn't disputing that Virgin and others carried more passengers, they use much larger planes so that's certainly going to be the case, though in terms of flights into and out of LHR, I think EI now operate the second largest number.

A fraction in comparison to BA who own just over half the slots at LHR, EI operate about 4% of the slots, so that'd be a clear explaination of why BA was such a presence in the show.

Advertisement