Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray Donovan [Showtime] [** Spoilers **]

• 10-02-2012 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84,788 ✭✭✭✭

Source

Jon Voight and Elliott Gould have joined the Showtime drama pilot Ray Donovan, the network announced Thursday.
    Ray Donovan will star Liev Schreiber as Los Angeles' best professional trouble shooter who can make anyone anyone's problems disappear, except those of his own family.
    Voight, 73, will play Mickey, the father of Ray (Schreiber). A newly freed ex-convict, Mickey goes to Los Angeles suspiciously hoping to reconnect with his estranged family. Gould, 73, will recur on the project as Ray's law firm mentor and confidante, Ezra Goodman, who is beginning to show signs of dementia.
    Voight and Gould join previously announced cast members Paula Malcomson, who will play Ray's wife, Dash Mihok and Eddie Marsan.
    Ray Donovan is created and executive-produced by Southland creator Ann Biderman, who will executive-produce along with Mark Gordon (Grey's Anatomy, Criminal Minds) and Bryan Zuriff. The drama is expected to begin production in early 2012.

Pretty decent cast should be good

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84,788 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Showtime has picked up to series

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

this is looking like it could be a good show, but i cant really stand Voight, but i always liked schreiber:o:o

• Advertisement

James Woods has joined now

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Schreiber is always great!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Premieres: Sunday, June 30th at 10pm (ET/PT)

http://www.sho.com/sho/ray-donovan/home

Set in the sprawling mecca of the rich and famous, RAY DONOVAN stars Emmy® and Golden Globe® Award nominee Liev Schreiber in his first lead television role as LA’s best professional fixer. Ray is the man called in to make the city’s celebrities,’ superstar athletes,’ and business moguls’ most complicated and combustible situations go away. This powerful drama unfolds when his father, Mickey Donovan, played by Oscar® winner Jon Voight, is unexpectedly released from prison, setting off a chain of events that shakes the Donovan family to its core. RAY DONOVAN is created and executive-produced by Ann Biderman (Southland), who also wrote the pilot episode. The series is also executive produced by Mark Gordon and Bryan Zuriff. RAY DONOVAN is a SHOWTIME® production and the pilot was directed by Allen Coulter (The Sopranos, Sons Of Anarchy), who also serves as producer on both the pilot and the second episode of the series

Sky Atlantic has picked it up and will air it in July Source

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Coutinho 10

So Ray Donovan is a tv version of Max Clifford well there could be some interesting stories to tell if they follow the Law and Order ripped from the headlines story lines.

It is also looking like a very impressive cast. Hope its not a huge let down.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

S01E01 screener available now.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Screener is pretty good.

They try to cram a lot into one episode, there’s half a dozen storylines happening. Liev is good but a bit taciturn, that’s the character though. The support cast is excellent, Eddie Marsen is particularly good and when Jon Voight turns up there’s a nice, nasty atmosphere. And there's enough sex, violence and sleaze to keep things interesting.

Worth watching so far.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Basq wrote: »
    Schreiber is always great!

+1....had i known he was in this!, great actor....did superb work on CSI season 7 miniature killer tour-de-force season.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Not viewable in Ireland there Liz..

There was an ad for it on Sky Atlantic during Mad Dogs last night however..

Basq wrote: »
    Not viewable in Ireland there Liz..

There was an ad for it on Sky Atlantic during Mad Dogs last night however..

Whoops my bad sorry :o

Yes it is getting quite a few plugs on the Sky channels at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 11,962 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Really enjoyed the first episode, enough little bits and pieces going on to keep you interested and wanting to know more, Liev is very good in it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭gazzer

Watched this last night. Really enjoyed it. Great cast.

It set a record as Showtime’s most watched original series premiere

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    It set a record as Showtime’s most watched original series premiere

A lot of money/promo put behind so id say, was quite heavily promo'd from what i saw. Looking forward to Ep2.

• Advertisement

A lot of money/promo put behind so id say, was quite heavily promo'd from what i saw. Looking forward to Ep2.
    also helps when you have the likes of Liev Schreiber and Jon Voight in the cast:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Ep 1 was very good.

Wasn't expecting the
    4th brother

and I never wanna see
    john voite dancing half naked again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Dont have sky atlantic so will probably have to wait for the box set to come out but this looks great. Comes across like a TV version of Michael Clayton(which can only be a good thing).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Watched the first 2 last night and enjoyed them. Will be tuning in again.

Liked episode two, good mix of sinister characters, humour, violence, sleaze etc. Great performances from Schreiber and Voight so far too, the part with Voight and the kid in the shoe shop was very funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

"A mouth is a mouth"
    No one does sleaze better than Voight

Just watched the first episode and loved it. The contrast between the glitz and glamour of Hollywood and the cold, hard work that Ray and his team done was really well done. The manner in which it transitioned from the case of the week and Ray's dealings with clients to the emotional turmoil of his messed up family was superb. It's been a long time since a show handled the mundanity of the weekly mystery and the over all story arc in such a mature and realistic manner. Nothing here felt tacked on, each scene worked to further the story and added something to fleshing out the characters.

Ray as a character reminds me a lot of Walter White. At heart he's a good man who sets out with the best of intentions but his blind immorality means that things aren't going to work out very well for him or those closet to him. He's a deeply sympathetic and flawed character but there's never a sense that the writers are doing this to pander to audience expectations of how the character should be treated. In the hands of lesser writers the show could be little more than another generic trawl through the gutters. I really hope that the standard is kept up, it's been quite sometime since I've watched a show where every character felt fleshed out and could elicit such sympathy from the viewer.

this irishnis it already wearing thin, and its multiplying my annoyance of other aspects, who the **** says Top O The Morning, and the fact their pure irish descendants when they have a soup taking name, and own a boxing gym:rolleyes::rolleyes:

i like it, but they would wanna drop the irish **** fast, there a few generations out of the country, give it a rest,

don ramo wrote: »
    this irishnis it already wearing thin, and its multiplying my annoyance of other aspects, who the **** says Top O The Morning, and the fact their pure irish descendants when they have a soup taking name, and own a boxing gym:rolleyes::rolleyes:

i like it, but they would wanna drop the irish **** fast, there a few generations out of the country, give it a rest,

A lot of the Boston Irish indulge in the stereotypes. It's kinda ridiculous when you're over there and hear the way some of them go on. A lot of them were surprised the sole domain of characters in film and TV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Really impressed with this so far. Best new tv show drama in quite a while tbh. Nothing felt forced with the characters and loved Ray's completely inability to not care. He cares too much is the problem! Loving the different characters of his brothers and their flaws thrown into the mix and then the family issues on top of it all. Brilliant so far!

Advertisement