Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Auto CAD on a budget

• 16-06-2013 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Mods this might well be in the wrong forum if so feel free to move.

I'm looking for an Auto cad package that I could use for drawing panel diagrams,line diagrams etc basically something with all the EU (Irish) symbols switch gear etc.

It doesn't have to be a freebie as I have budgeted for it. I'm just looking for a decent set up and most user friendly interface for say under €800-€1000.

Any tips on where to look would be great.

Thanks,

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

You will not get a legitimate version that cheaply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

Ah right I was looking at the packages for €4000+. The price isn't the issue really it's just I don't need all the bells and whistles it would be a waste tbh.

I'm only looking for something that'll do for simple line diagrams and a few panel layouts nothing to fancy but a bit better than ms paint :)

I could get download a torrent I guess but I'd rather have a legit copy.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Mr.Fred wrote: »
    Ah right I was looking at the packages for €4000+. The price isn't the issue really it's just I don't need all the bells and whistles it would be a waste tbh.

I'm only looking for something that'll do for simple line diagrams and a few panel layouts nothing to fancy but a bit better than ms paint :)

I could get download a torrent I guess but I'd rather have a legit copy.

I use a "lighter" fully licensed version of AutoCad (can't remember which one) for instrument loop drawings, MCC design, wiring schematics etc. Sounds like it would meet your requirements. I will post up the details when I get the exact name.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 GradEngineer

Ive used a slimed down version years ago..... I think it was called AutoCAD LT but not sure if it is still available!

Also this might not be suitable but if you have a valid student email address from a recognised university or IT it is possible to download a legitimate version with a 4 year license. Unfortunately its not for commercial use and prints a small boarder informing such around each plot

Ive used a slimed down version years ago..... I think it was called AutoCAD LT but not sure if it is still available!

Also this might not be suitable but if you have a valid student email address from a recognised university or IT it is possible to download a legitimate version with a 4 year license. Unfortunately its not for commercial use and prints a small boarder informing such around each plot

Thanks for that. I'll need it for commercial use so it will have to be a legal package. I'll check out a couple of the ones suggested. thanks :)

• Advertisement

+1

I have just checked, AutoCAD LT 2010
    Perfect package, will do everything that you want + more

Thanks lads I'll check that out now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

Google sketchup will do fine too. Its free and if you turn on parallel projection in the camera tab you can get it to do perfectly acceptable line drawings

mawk wrote: »
    Google sketchup will do fine too.
    Sometimes it would, but it depends very much on the application.
    Its free and if you turn on parallel projection in the camera tab you can get it to do perfectly acceptable line drawings

Apples and oragnes.
    Although Google sketchup is fantastic, it just does not compare to AutoCAD.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭selephonic

BricsCAD is a pretty good option. Very like AutoCAD and much cheaper. I think there's a 30 day trial.

I'm not in any way affiliated with them by the way, just used it before and liked it. Interface is quite similar to classic AutoCAD, i.e. pre-ribbon interface.

Another option if you just need 2d is something like QCAD or:

LibreCAD
    Drawsight
    FreeCAD

A lot of these also work on Linux(unlike AutoCad) meaning you can possibly run with less operating system overhead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 fear_gaoithe

DoubleCAD is fairly handy and free:

http://www.doublecad.com/

Advertisement