Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Which Tablet to buy , in your opinion

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

Meesared wrote: »
    Dunno what you mean but I spent time last night on messaging people on Skype while watching Youtube videos on my Surface RT, so you can multitask perfectly well on Windows RT

Didnt mean that windows rt cant multitask (havent even used one). I was just saying that it has the full version of windows unlike the RT, and allows you to do multitasking which isnt something you can do on all tablets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Didnt mean that windows rt cant multitask (havent even used one). I was just saying that it has the full version of windows unlike the RT, and allows you to do multitasking which isnt something you can do on all tablets.
    Ah ok, fair enough! Wasn't clear from your post. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭hybie

Hi Guys,

After reading all these comments, I'll either go for Nexus 7 or Galaxy 2 10.1....I had been thinking the ipad but it seems nearly nobody has mentioned it as the best one to get.

One thing with the Nexus or Galaxy...what is Skype and Video Calls like? I bought a Samsung Ultrabook in December and it's terrible for video calls. In a long distance relationship so my other half will murder me if my Skype breaks down one more time. Thanks!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,003 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

hybie wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

After reading all these comments, I'll either go for Nexus 7 or Galaxy 2 10.1....I had been thinking the ipad but it seems nearly nobody has mentioned it as the best one to get.

One thing with the Nexus or Galaxy...what is Skype and Video Calls like? I bought a Samsung Ultrabook in December and it's terrible for video calls. In a long distance relationship so my other half will murder me if my Skype breaks down one more time. Thanks!

The iPad should be fine if you won't be needing to add/remove content off it that often. The mandatory "Syncing" of Apple devices and restrictiveness makes them more inefficient for watching videos, manipulating files/folders, Flash etc. content but in most cases the tablet OSes is on a par (although you will hear arguments from both sides).
    I don't think your issue with Skype is to do with the ultrabook though, who is your internet provider? Tablets typically have poorer wifi range given the compactness of the devices, so no tablet would be an "improvement" if your connection is poor to begin with. Skype will probably perform the same on either Galaxy or the iPad, the Galaxy may have the edge with the camera as it's more recent hardware than the last iPad (I think?)

Nick

Thanks Nick. It's UPC but in Europe, not in Ireland. I have the highest speed with it, and no problem with work laptop (Lenovo) on the network or with video calls. It's a Core i3 processor, and all different internet browsers are also extremely slow.

I would be using the tablet to download, and add/remove content quite often so it looks like the ipad wouldn't be the option for me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,003 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

hybie wrote: »
    Thanks Nick. It's UPC but in Europe, not in Ireland. I have the highest speed with it, and no problem with work laptop (Lenovo) on the network or with video calls. It's a Core i3 processor, and all different internet browsers are also extremely slow.

I would be using the tablet to download, and add/remove content quite often so it looks like the ipad wouldn't be the option for me.

Hmm, that is odd. Are the drivers up to date on it? If it is as slow as that then there is clearly a fault with it as it is a new machine. Tablet wise it does sound like a Android or Windows Surface are your best bet, Android being the more open (* compared to Surface RT). Android and Surface devices usually have USB ports you can plug a USB key into/or have an adapter available

Nick

Yeah all the drivers are up to date with it. IT shop weren't sure either why it was so slow.

Think I'll go for the Galaxy Tab 2...can get it here for 292 euros (and a 40 euro voucher when you buy from Samsung for online purchases)...seems like a good deal.

Can't seem to find the Nexus 10 anywhere so the only thing that I'd consider apart from Tab 2 would be the Galaxy Note (about 430 euros here).

Read some reviews...Note is a good tablet, but is much more superior to the Tab for the extra 140 quid?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32 seva42413

molly09 wrote: »
    I am looking into getting a tablet also at the moment and to be honest it's a minefield
    Can a keyboard be attached to all tablets
    Also what would u recommend to get for downloading movies and for doing some office work?
    All advice really appreciated: -)
    dell xps 10..you can attach a keyboard to it,and it runs windows 8.

Went into my local place last night and Galaxy Tab 2 was sold out...sales assistant recommended to hold on till Tab 3. I know they announced in June 3rd, but any idea when the release date might be in Europe, and rough idea of price?

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

I have the Surface RT about a week and absolutely love it. The touch interface is brilliant, Office 2013 is free including the brilliant Onenote. Outlook for the RT is on the way and will be out with Windows 8.1

To get the best out of the RT you have to have a Microsoft account (hotmail, outlook.com, live.ie) sign in on that, trust the device and away you go all your contacts, emails, FB linkage and skydrive documents are all their perfectly.

They are now giving away the type keyboards free which means when you attach the keyboard, pop up the kickstand you have a perfect laptop for students that just want a device for projects and note taking as well as the flexibility of a tablet. It prints directly without issue to my HP Officejet 6500A, most Android tablet devices have terrible or no print support.

It also has a full size USB 2.0 slot so you can pop in a memory stick and read files from it directly. You can also get adapters for hooking up to a VGA and HDMI so it will function as a perfect presentation laptop with native power-point support. Storage is also expandable by 64GB using micro SD.

The apps are not near as complete as the iPad however as a productivity tool the Surface RT (Windows 8 Tablets in general) beat the iPad.

It really is a brilliant device. I cannot compare against the Asus Atom mentioned earlier which looks really good as well.

I would say to anyone buying a tablet be wary of Android and in particular the low end devices they just do not have the polish of Apple's iPad and Windows 8 devices, go to the store and test.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Samsung tab 2 or the Nexus 7
    Is HMDI a big thing not to have in the Nexus 7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Moving away from tablet format to the Yoga 11s. Laptop and tablet in a nice format. Was toying with an IPAD mini but reckon this 11s will cover all needs without compromise. 11S will fold in to a variety of formats suitable for all locations.

Going to wait for Nexsus 7 v2 before pulling the trigger on the 11s

Yoga 11s is nice, I am a slow convert to the Android tablets as I have seen so many bad dead end ones. Currently the choice as I see it is between the iPad or the Surface RT. You pay a bit more for both but its worth it. Surface RT student deal is a steal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Anyone bought a Sony Xperia Z yet? I think I want one to bolster my current mid-life crisis...

'c

• Registered Users Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Yoga 11s is nice, I am a slow convert to the Android tablets as I have seen so many bad dead end ones. Currently the choice as I see it is between the iPad or the Surface RT. You pay a bit more for both but its worth it. Surface RT student deal is a steal.

What student deal? Most colleges don't appear to be running with it at all.There's a thread about it here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056975734

maybe you know different/ If you do,let us know.

By the way OP, the Surface is what I'd get if I were you.

By the way OP, the Surface is what I'd get if I were you.

Especially since Windows 8.1 now supports offline skydrive file access and full Outlook 2013 is bundled.

Advertisement