Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learning Finnish thread

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭lila44

My OH is Finnish, so I am trying my best to learn.

My main problems I think would be pronounciation....I have a genetic incapabilty to roll my "r"'s!

Would anyone know of anyone in Donegal who would offer a course by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭tnethacker

Hey mate, any time you visit Dublin, give me a shout and i'll teach you a curse word or two. I'm Finnish, but I've lived here for years by now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭lila44

ah believe me, I already know most of those! I live with a Finnish gamer!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭syntax1

lila44 wrote: »
    My OH is Finnish, so I am trying my best to learn.

My main problems I think would be pronounciation....I have a genetic incapabilty to roll my "r"'s!

Would anyone know of anyone in Donegal who would offer a course by any chance?

Good luck with Finnish! I am actively learning the language from the other coast of the Gulf of Finland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭ Jamir Brave Pajamas

syntax1 wrote: »
    Good luck with Finnish! I am actively learning the language from the other coast of the Gulf of Finland.

Have you tried Estonian?

• Advertisement

Have you tried Estonian?

My wife is Estonian. I have been learning on and off since 2006. I passed the B1 exam earlier this year :-)

Tried some Finnish too, (have a blog here), but will leave off going into it intensively until my Estonian is at a high level. I like though to dip in and out of it occasionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭tnethacker

My wife is Estonian. I have been learning on and off since 2006. I passed the B1 exam earlier this year :-)

Tried some Finnish too, (have a blog here), but will leave off going into it intensively until my Estonian is at a high level. I like though to dip in and out of it occasionally.

Loved that blog mate :) Best thing you've ever posted was "Ma lähen linna pappi raiskama" :)

I'm Finnish, but i speak English more than fluently (started speaking it when i was a toddler) and i would love to learn Irish someday (I already understand some of the basics).

You're well ahead with your language there, so if i'd were you, i'd just keep on learning more since Finnish is so similar to Estonian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭ Jamir Brave Pajamas

Woah, fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Dutchess

Is there anyone in Galway that could help me learn some Finnish? I'd love to live there, at least for a while, but I doubt Dutch and English is gonna get me a job....

Dutchess wrote: »
    Is there anyone in Galway that could help me learn some Finnish? I'd love to live there, at least for a while, but I doubt Dutch and English is gonna get me a job....

This girl is from Lapland and lives in Galway.

Maybe she wouldn't mind helping you out to learn some Finnish. Though I suggest getting some materials yourself, either by downloading (loads to find online, good stuff for all levels) or buying in an online store. Also check out this links on this blog. They will send you to more materials, also this learners' forum.

If you have some Finnish before hand then when you contact this girl you at least have some questions for her and you can make the best use of your time.

Good luck in learning Finnish!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Unfortunately neither Dutch nor English will translate into Finnish much, it's very separate.
    It's an easy and difficult language at the same time. You pronounce all the letters you read but the pronunciation is tricky anyway.
    You can learn a little from youtube etc but tbh once you're there it'll be very different.
    Finns have great English so that part won't be an issue if you go over, and just like Norwegians, Danes and Swedes they love speaking English so it'll be tricky learning once you're there :)

biko wrote: »
    Unfortunately neither Dutch nor English will translate into Finnish much, it's very separate.
    It's an easy and difficult language at the same time. You pronounce all the letters you read but the pronunciation is tricky anyway.
    You can learn a little from youtube etc but tbh once you're there it'll be very different.
    Finns have great English so that part won't be an issue if you go over, and just like Norwegians, Danes and Swedes they love speaking English so it'll be tricky learning once you're there :)

So you are saying that Finnish tricky to learn both when away from Finland, and in Finland?

To be honest, I haven't found that the average Finn has great English. Sure, young people working in the service industry in Helsinki have okay English, but that does not a great English-speaking Finland make.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

So you are saying that Finnish tricky to learn both when away from Finland, and in Finland?
    Either way has its advantages and disadvantages.
    As with any language it's just a matter of getting a few basic phrases and keep expanding.

I learnt a bit of Finnish when I was a kid (Finnish friends) but just have the basics now (order coffee etc).
    My mate went over to study in Helsinki for 6 months and didn't pick any up, everyone spoke English. I suppose in a city uni people will have better English than most.

Dutchess, you can get involved with www.facebook.com/GalwayLingo They meet up and chat in various languages (not sure about Finnish).

Advertisement