Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I miss Limerick, am I mad?

Options
  • 11-06-2013 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭

I've been living in Australia since September 2012, I did a bit of backpacking at the start which was great, I found a job in Sydney mid November and have settled into a nice place and living life as expected. Apart from the job being a headache and a having a very small social circle i haven't got much else to complain about here, weather is good and plenty of places to visit come the weekends.

Lately i have been getting very homesick and i am doing nothing but convincing myself to go home, I think because life out here had become a bit too routine and bland. I'm not really sure how to change it..

But I have never really had a problem with limerick, it's just the work shortage. I'm even considering going back into education to re-skill for a career that is abundant in Ireland..

So I'm not sure, am I mad to be returning home?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭moby2101

Yes!

I lived in Aus for 18 months in the 90's and came back.,

Would definitely have stayed I've I had the time over again!

Don't rush into anything weigh up all the pros and cons and do what's best for YOU!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

daedal wrote: »
    I've been living in Australia since September 2012, I did a bit of backpacking at the start which was great, I found a job in Sydney mid November and have settled into a nice place and living life as expected. Apart from the job being a headache and a having a very small social circle i haven't got much else to complain about here, weather is good and plenty of places to visit come the weekends.

Lately i have been getting very homesick and i am doing nothing but convincing myself to go home, I think because life out here had become a bit too routine and bland. I'm not really sure how to change it..

But I have never really had a problem with limerick, it's just the work shortage. I'm even considering going back into education to re-skill for a career that is abundant in Ireland..

Had you worked in Ireland before going?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Limerick is great craic at the moment, mates of mine from here who live in Dublin have said as much, they find themselves coming down at weekends more and more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭gregers85

Nothing wrong with being home-sick! most my mates have gone to Dublin for work and come home almost every weekend! I'd personally try stick it out awhile longer once you are working until things pick up here!

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭daedal

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    Had you worked in Ireland before going?

I had been working up to March 2012 when my employer went under. Hadn't even tried looking for work in Ireland after that because i had my mind set on OZ. But really i was treating OZ as more of a holiday/adventure at that stage, i went over jobless, did backpacking and secured a job a couple of months later..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

leakyboots wrote: »
    Limerick is great craic at the moment, mates of mine from here who live in Dublin have said as much, they find themselves coming down at weekends more and more.

Funnily enough, people I know in Limk are sick of going out here. Same faces, week in, week out. Same few pubs to go to week in, week out. I guess that's the way it would be in any small place the same size. Bigger cities will have more people moving through, and more choice.

I'm mad to get out of here. Only had an email last night about possibly pursuing sponsorship in Aus, but it's a big move and a big decision.

Would you be happy doing the same job in Limk OP? Sydney is a great city, though I found it very expensive. Just think of the view you have around Circular Quay compared to the view looking out from Clohessys.

But that's no reason why you shouldn't come home. Aus ain't for everyone, neither is Limerick. I know it ain't for me....!

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Gallee

daedal wrote: »

No your not mad your just homesick which is as normal as anything else you'll ever do. Homesickness is something that will eat at you, preoccupy your days and make you miserable unless you address it. Thats being fueled by two things a) Your job which is as you say a headache and b) a small social circle. If you can change either or both of those and focus on what you are probable going to eventually return to Limerick, things should be easier to deal with. Re educating yourself is a great goal that may set you up for work when you return. My own opinion is you would be crazy to come back now so soon. Give Sydney some time. Things are extraordinary difficult in Ireland and particularly in limerick where the unemployment here is one of the worst in the Country with no sign of improvement. I had a cousin in similar circumstances who came home from Oz after a year, 20 years ago and still regrets his decision. Hang in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

I find most places lose their gloss once you settle into humdrum of employment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    I find most places lose their gloss once you settle into humdrum of employment.

Now you said it.

Advertisement