Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

First men on the moon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Engrossing even though I don't what they're talking about 90% of the time

Guidance?
    Go!
    Flight?
    Go!
    Fido?
    Go!
    Surgeon?
    Go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

I want that GO sequence as my alarm clock!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Best use of the internet I have ever seen, superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,116 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

shedweller wrote: »
    I want that GO sequence as my alarm clock!

07:59:01 GMT - FLIGHT
    Okay all wake up controllers, Go NoGo for wake up. RETRO
    07:59:04 GMT - RETRO
    Go.
    07:59:04 GMT - FLIGHT
    FIDO.
    07:59:04 GMT - FIDO
    Go.
    07:59:05 GMT - FLIGHT
    GUIDANCE.
    07:59:05 GMT - GUIDANCE
    Go.
    SHEDWELLER.
    07:59:06 GMT - SHEDWELLER
    No Go! No Go!
    07:59:07 GMT - FLIGHT
    Rog., copy SHEDWELLER, we're no go for wake up, initiating snooze protocol. All wake up controllers, 10 minutes to Go NoGo for wake up.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Brilliant thread OP, the legendary Gene Kranz is like the orchestras master conductor at work. Even listening to it nearly 44 years later, you can still feel the rawness and significance of it all. And when it comes to space speak, you gotta admit, the Yanks just ooze coolness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

Brilliant thread OP, the legendary Gene Kranz is like the orchestras master conductor at work. Even listening to it nearly 44 years later, you can still feel the rawness and significance of it all. And when it comes to space speak, you gotta admit, the Yanks just ooze coolness.

Yeah it is amazing listening to it getting the feeling that this is the pinnacle of technological progress at the time. The amount of brainpower in one place and the sheer effort involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Yeah it is amazing listening to it getting the feeling that this is the pinnacle of technological progress at the time. The amount of brainpower in one place and the sheer effort involved.

Who would have thought all these years later, that we would still have no moonbase established to enable further manned space exploration. Robots/rovers can only do so much imo.

07:59:01 GMT - FLIGHT
    Okay all wake up controllers, Go NoGo for wake up. RETRO
    07:59:04 GMT - RETRO
    Go.
    07:59:04 GMT - FLIGHT
    FIDO.
    07:59:04 GMT - FIDO
    Go.
    GUIDANCE.
    07:59:05 GMT - GUIDANCE
    Go.
    SHEDWELLER.
    07:59:06 GMT - SHEDWELLER
    No Go! No Go!
    07:59:07 GMT - FLIGHT
    Rog., copy SHEDWELLER, we're no go for wake up, initiating snooze protocol. All wake up controllers, 10 minutes to Go NoGo for wake up.

I wouldn't mind having this as an alarm now.
    Anyone be able to put this together. :p

I wouldn't mind having this as an alarm now.
    Anyone be able to put this together. :p
    There is an audio extractor that can be used to, well, extract the audio from the video. Find a suitable video and you've got your audio. There is another small program that allows you to pick a section of that. Then drag and drop it to your usb connected phone. Select as alarm ringtone and bobs yer uncle. Over.
    In fact, i might just do it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,544 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

That's brilliant, did I read somewhere that an Iphone has more computer ability than the entire workings for the landing?

• Advertisement

shedweller wrote: »
    There is an audio extractor that can be used to, well, extract the audio from the video. Find a suitable video and you've got your audio. There is another small program that allows you to pick a section of that. Then drag and drop it to your usb connected phone. Select as alarm ringtone and bobs yer uncle. Over.
    In fact, i might just do it now!

Roger that. :)

Rog

Just finished making a ringtone from the audio of the video featured in the OP.
    First i used the video downloader in firefox to download the video then i put the file into AOA audio extractor. Then i put the audio file into Audacity and selected the "go sequence" which was at the 380 second mark until the 400 second mark. I then had to get some random file for audacity to export the file in a format that could be played in anything other than audacity. Exported the file to my hard drive as am mp3 and dragged and dropped it to my usb connected android phone. Selected "more" on the alarm setting section of the phone and then selected the ringtone type. Went down through the list and there it was! Gene Kranz and Co. will be waking me up with lots of GO!!:D

I'd like a cleaner sample without the static so i'll fish around for one. In fairness, the static adds to the sense of drama etc. Now i hope i will wake up to it and not just dream sweet dreams of landing on the moon!:pac:
    "Sorry boss, i had a mad dream..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Gokei

Cant upload an mp3, so i had to zip it.

Just drag and drop for android, or select it in itunes. God knows about lumia..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Gokei wrote: »

Nice one bruva

Gokei wrote: »

I'm never gonna be late for work again. :cool:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,660 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://history.nasa.gov/x15conf/legacy2.html - about the X15 rocket plane
    Heart rates averaged 145 to 160 beats/min, sometimes reaching a peak on some flights of 185 beats/min. Medical experts had previously only witnessed such high rates on sick people or people under stress. It was detennined from repeated flight tests, however, that strcss or exertion was not involved and that the high rates were primarily due to psychological factors associated with the excitement of launch and acceleration of the X-15. Such behavior was finally accepted to be non-nal for this kind of activity. Nobody gets concerned, for example, when an astronaut shows similar rates during a launch or reentry sequence. As a matter of interest, Neil Armstrong registered a heart beat of 156 during the first lunar landing.

(Hallion)
    Just one comment on the heart rates and that I hope will lay it to rest. This was sort of a baseline data point. In 1967-68 the U.S. Navy did an interesting series of studies on heart rates on fighter attack pilots in Vietnam, on combat operations over North Vietnam. They were expecting to see an awful lot of stress related to certain points in the mission and they expected these would be things like encountering SAMS, encountering Migs, you know, attacking the target, what not. It turned out actually the highest heart rates that they experienced were during night carrier landings, and the heart rates were higher, in fact, than the heart rates experienced in the X-15 program. Interesting data point.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,289 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Guidance seems to have been more excited than any of the other lads:P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

If you find this interesting, I suggest you check out the launch of Apollo 12, SCE to AUX and the playboy centrefolds that "stowed away" to the moon. The 1998 mini-series "from the earth to the moon" did a great episode of it.

Advertisement