Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Orphan Black [** Spoilers **]

• 31-03-2013 10:35pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

First episode is out, no I haven't seen it....discuss away.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,446 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

About the Show
    Sarah has always lived the life of an orphan outsider. But a clone is never alone.

Sarah hopes that cleaning out a dead woman’s bank account will solve all her problems. Instead, her problems multiply – and so does she. Experience a whole new side of BBC AMERICA with the channel’s next original scripted series, “Orphan Black,” the exciting and ambitious new addition to the Supernatural Saturday programming block. “Orphan Black” features rising star Tatiana Maslany (“Cas & Dylan,” “Picture Day”) in the lead role of Sarah, an outsider and orphan whose life changes dramatically after witnessing the suicide of a woman who looks just like her. Sarah assumes her identity, her boyfriend and her bank account. But instead of solving her problems, the street smart chameleon is thrust headlong into a kaleidoscopic mystery. She makes the dizzying discovery that she and the dead woman are clones… but are they the only ones? Sarah quickly finds herself caught in the middle of a deadly conspiracy and must race to find answers about who she is and how many others there are just like her. Orphan Black premieres Saturday, March 30, 9:00pm ET/PT, as part of BBC AMERICA’s Supernatural Saturday.

This suspenseful, sexy thriller also stars Jordan Gavaris (“Degrassi”), Dylan Bruce (“As The World Turns”) and Maria Doyle Kennedy (“Downton Abbey”). Orphan Black is executive produced by Ivan Schneeberg and David Fortier (“Being Erica”), Graeme Manson (“Flashpoint”), and John Fawcett (“Spartacus”). The drama is co-created by Manson and Fawcett, with Manson also serving as writer and Fawcett as director.

http://www.bbcamerica.com/orphan-black/about-the-show/

Info added above. I read a good review on the AV Club today, which makes me think it will be worth watching (A- rating)

http://www.avclub.com/articles/natural-selection,95871/

I actually liked this a lot.

Another clever, original BBC series. Who'd have thunk it?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,472 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Vaas from Far Cry 3 is in this?......enough said, must watch!

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Rob30888

I've just watched the pilot and this was exceptionally good, such potential.

Is it airing every Saturday night in the US? Seems an odd timeslot, do the network not have faith in it?

• Advertisement

Episode 2 was fantastic, it's moving along at a brilliant pace. Shame the preview of next week's show was so spoiler heavy, I didn't even mean to watch it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,527 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Watched episode 1 last night - looks great! Will be sticking with it....

Up to episode 4 now, and it's still great. The plot is moving along at a cracking pace with enough twists and turns to keep it interesting. Tatiana Maslany is a good enough actress to pull off the different clones.

The one negative is the camp brother for comic relief. Really annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

it is great, the crazy one walking into the police station was brill

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭DeWitt

Really into this right now. Lead actress has the role of a lifetime. More clones I say!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

DeWitt wrote: »
    Really into this right now. Lead actress has the role of a lifetime. More clones I say!

She's probably the only person in any show who could be killed off a dozen times and still be the lead.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Well, those in doubt can give it a shot, BBC America has renewed it for season 2: http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2013/05/02/orphan-black-renewed-for-season-2-by-bbc/180795/

This weeks episode was the best yet. I seriously couldn't stop laughing. Some cracker throwaway lines in there, and it's getting to the stage now where I can't decide which clone is my favourite.

Hmmm....a tour-de-force of acting prowess?.....mmm, maybe i should give it a shot?

Question: Three things are on my mind this week: 1) Having seen all of it now, Sundance Channel's Rectify is a bona fide masterpiece, up there with Breaking Bad for me (no coincidence that two of its producers are from that show), so thanks for highlighting it in a recent piece. It's great news that it's coming back for a 10-episode second season, though I have to wonder how this show didn't land on Sundance's sister network AMC considering the wider exposure there and the sad fact that AMC will be losing its two best shows over the next year. 2) Is Tatiana Maslany of Orphan Black now TV's most versatile actress or merely its hardest-working? She has to be pulling 16-hour days to do this, and I'm in awe of the way she completely differentiates her characters. 3) The moment I wake up I say a little prayer asking that the "Untitled Greg Garcia Project" isn't picked up. That sounds mean, but Margo Martindale is simply too valuable to The Americans for her to be lost to a sitcom, don't you agree? Seeing her go toe-to-toe with Felicity Elizabeth is one of the great joys of this TV season, almost as much fun as Pete Campbell vs. Lane Pryce on Mad Men last year. — Brian

Matt Roush: You must be eavesdropping on my own private conversations, where each of these topics has been front and center lately. 1) Given the deceptively quiet nature and slow dramatic build of Rectify, Sundance may be a more compatible home for this series, but I was glad to see AMC give the pilot episode a boost by re-airing it after Mad Men recently. This is definitely worth seeking out. 2) I've been in discussion with other TV critics recently on a project, and Tatiana Maslany's tour de force on Orphan Black keeps coming up as something we're all impressed by. So fun to welcome new talents to the TV party, and that includes Aden Young's haunting work on Rectify as well. 3) I'm just happy to know that the wonderful Margo Martindale is so in demand. But yes, one of the highlights of The Americans was the crackling hostility between Elizabeth (Keri Russell, another breakout star this season) and her handler Claudia aka "Granny," who is much deadlier and cannier than she appears. Margo has great comic chops as well, so wherever she lands, I'll be happy to see her — and career-wise, landing a sitcom gig on CBS is nothing to scoff at. But I'll secretly be hoping Claudia's time in Russia is short-lived as well.

Yeah, here's to you taking back your dog comment!

DeWitt wrote: »
    Yeah, here's to you taking back your dog comment!

deserved a two week ban for that one.....:o

I bet you'll really like her once you get into it. She brings something different to every single character. She truly is fantastic & deserves the praise she's getting.

you don't find this hot ?

OrphanBlack_S1_E04_34_photo_web-1024x576.jpg

Question: Three things are on my mind this week: 1) Having seen all of it now, Sundance Channel's Rectify is a bona fide masterpiece, up there with Breaking Bad for me (no coincidence that two of its producers are from that show), so thanks for highlighting it in a recent piece. It's great news that it's coming back for a 10-episode second season, though I have to wonder how this show didn't land on Sundance's sister network AMC considering the wider exposure there and the sad fact that AMC will be losing its two best shows over the next year. 2) Is Tatiana Maslany of Orphan Black now TV's most versatile actress or merely its hardest-working? She has to be pulling 16-hour days to do this, and I'm in awe of the way she completely differentiates her characters. 3) The moment I wake up I say a little prayer asking that the "Untitled Greg Garcia Project" isn't picked up. That sounds mean, but Margo Martindale is simply too valuable to The Americans for her to be lost to a sitcom, don't you agree? Seeing her go toe-to-toe with Felicity Elizabeth is one of the great joys of this TV season, almost as much fun as Pete Campbell vs. Lane Pryce on Mad Men last year. — Brian

Matt Roush: You must be eavesdropping on my own private conversations, where each of these topics has been front and center lately. 1) Given the deceptively quiet nature and slow dramatic build of Rectify, Sundance may be a more compatible home for this series, but I was glad to see AMC give the pilot episode a boost by re-airing it after Mad Men recently. This is definitely worth seeking out. 2) I've been in discussion with other TV critics recently on a project, and Tatiana Maslany's tour de force on Orphan Black keeps coming up as something we're all impressed by. So fun to welcome new talents to the TV party, and that includes Aden Young's haunting work on Rectify as well. 3) I'm just happy to know that the wonderful Margo Martindale is so in demand. But yes, one of the highlights of The Americans was the crackling hostility between Elizabeth (Keri Russell, another breakout star this season) and her handler Claudia aka "Granny," who is much deadlier and cannier than she appears. Margo has great comic chops as well, so wherever she lands, I'll be happy to see her — and career-wise, landing a sitcom gig on CBS is nothing to scoff at. But I'll secretly be hoping Claudia's time in Russia is short-lived as well.

you going to source that?

poor kira!

Another fantastic episode. LOLs this week courtesy of Alison. Eff this. Eff that. "And then I got married...and everything is ****." xD

Shout out to the Irish Mammy too. Mrs. S is something fierce. "Sit down, and shut your gob!"

Wasnt prepared for that ending at all. Everything was going so beautiful between Helena & Kira, and then nope :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84,825 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Source

It will air on BBC 3

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Great episode. This is easily one of the best things on TV right now. That ending was a big shock. It looked like it was going to happen, but I thought they wouldn't show something like that on TV, but they did, and it was brutal.

This show continues to astound. What happened to Kira was a totally jaw-dropping moment and something that they rarely have the balls to actually do on TV.

critics choice awards
    BEST ACTRESS IN A DRAMA SERIES

Claire Danes ("Homeland") – Showtime
    Vera Farmiga ("Bates Motel") – A&E
    Julianna Margulies ("The Good Wife") – CBS
    Tatiana Maslany ("Orphan Black") – BBC America
    Elisabeth Moss ("Mad Men") – AMC
    Keri Russell ("The Americans") – FX

and renewed

show is getting more buzz week by week....

Just finished the season. They definitely laid on the revelations thick and fast in the last episode (which is how a season finale should be). Great show overall, and definitely one of the best new shows of the year.

I was absolutely gutted over the Helena thing.Talk about being blindsided. I don't know, she just gives me a lot of feels. NO ONE EVER LOVED HER!
    But now the more I think about it and Cosima's lizard theory re:Kira...what if Helena can like regenerate or something? I mean she had all those scars, plus she got that pipe through her gut and sped off on a motorbike like it was nothing. Maybe I'm reaching, but yeah.

You could be right. Kira bounced right back (no pun intended) after the car accident, so there is definite rapid healing in their DNA.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

yeah but she was shot in the head so would have to be superman healing to survive that. Just too many clones on the show, they have to get rid of one.

• Advertisement

You know what, I was too busy screaming "Nooooooooo. Sarah, what are you doing!? You guys are sisters!" to notice where exactly she got shot. Dang, there goes that theory.

Advertisement