Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2013 General Discussion Thread

• 10-04-2013 7:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Was great to see so many bodies at our first game, as as I said after the match, that's why we were able to push on in the second half and get 7 goals. Fresh legs.

For those who didn't start, don't worry about that - everyone's contribution is counted equally, whether you played from the start, or were on the pitch at the end - it's a squad effort more than anything.

Just a heads up, there ARE various people already not going to be here for 2 or 3 week stretches, so opportunities will present themselves as the weeks go on, do not get disheartened - if you take the place of a person and do well, that person won't walk back into the team ahead of you - no-one is entitled to play from the start, no-one is entitled to play the full match.

We are all in it together.

With +6 GD already, we should be sitting at the top of the league (results from 2 games not in yet), so there are 17 games left - 51 points to play for, we've already got 3 of a possible 54 points. Let's stay at the top, if we all push together we can remain there.

League Table
    This is probably the best squad we've had in a couple of years, so with the numbers and talent we have, we'll have a good tilt at it.

Name|Goals
    Wes|2
    Dave|1
    Ciaran|1
    Derek Mc|1
    Damo|1
    Gar|1

Comments

Yeah as I was saying to a few of the lads half the battle in these leagues is fitness. They gave us a game the first half but because of how well we played and our overall fitness it became a rout.

Everyone did well, great to see so many leaders in a team helping out the new lads. For me at left back Derek letting me know what was around me helped me a lot which others were doing throughout the squad too. That approach wins games and if we approach every game with that same attitude of helping and encouraging everyone else we have a very good shout at winning the league and getting a good run in the cup.

All I'd say is if we find ourselves in a tough game we need to be clinical with our chances because other teams will punish us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

League Table

Name|Goals
    Wes|3
    Derek Mc|3
    Dave|2
    Ciaran|1
    Damo|1
    Gar|1

Other results from tonight

123.ie 0-2 FB Monks
    Cork Exiles 1-1 Drakesville
    Grant Thornton 1-1 BallAlley Angles
    TheGaryAbletts ?-? Roys Rovers

The Ballalley -v- Grant Thornton is significant because they both won last week.

Also, Cork drew again, and now Drakesville have a loss and a draw.

The other result is not posted yet, but I'd expect Roys to have won that game, simply because they've been playing together for a while. The result won't affect us at the top, as both lost last week.

Our GD is now +9, which is +6 better than second place - they haven't conceded a goal yet though.

Anyway, we are top by virtue of scoring goals, mostly in second halfs, due to our large squad.

Let's keep it that way.

League Table

Name|Goals
    Wes|3
    Derek Mc|3
    Dave|2
    Jules|2
    Ciaran|1
    Damo|1
    Gar|1
    Total|13

Other results from Week 3

A.B Cycle Factors F.C 4-1 The Gary Abletts
    Boards.ie 2-1 drakesville united
    Cork Exiles FC 6-2 123.ie.
    Grant Thornton 1-1 Fabulous Benedictine Monks
    Roys Rovers 0-3 BallAlley Angels

So, we've opened up a 2 point gap, which is nice, and again, two teams that I expect to be up there challenging have drawn, which is good news for us.

We've won our points, but a word of warning, we've beaten three teams who are in the bottom 5, and play a team with 0 points next week.

Fair enough Drakesville were a step above the previous 2 teams, but there are 4 other teams who'd I'd consider to be a step up again, based on what I've seen of them.

We need to be clinical next week against 123.ie.

It's shaping up to be a good season, but draws will kill teams, we need to keep the head together, and keep our strong numbers coming out to games, it will be the difference in August.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,637 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

spot on, we had a test last night but we will face tougher through the season and we've got a stretch of playing the teams chasing us coming up over the next few weeks.

League Table

Name|Goals
    Wes|3
    Derek Mc|3
    Dave|2
    Jules|2
    Ciaran|1
    Damo|1
    Gar|1
    Total|13

Results from week 4

A.B Cycle Factors F.C 3 1 drakesville united
    BallAlley Angels 1 3 The Gary Abletts
    Boards.ie 0 1 123.ie.
    Grant Thornton 1 1 1 Cork Exiles FC
    Roys Rovers 4 4 Fabulous Benedictine Monks

Look at those results, we stay top by a point.

But Ball Alley getting beat by Gary Abletts, and us losing to 123, shows that there aren't really any easy games in this division.

We are pretty lucky to be still top after that performance last night, so we need to take a lesson from that.

• Advertisement

League Table

Name|Goals
    Wes|3
    Derek Mc|3
    Dave|2
    Jules|2
    Ciaran|1
    Damo|1
    Gar|1
    Total|13

Results from week 5

A.B Cycle Factors F.C 1 - 1 123.ie.
    BallAlley Angels 0 -0 Fabulous Benedictine Monks
    Boards.ie 0 - 0 Grant Thornton 1
    drakesville united 3 - 1 The Gary Abletts
    Roys Rovers 1 - 2 Cork Exiles FC

We are top of the league, still by a point, by virtue of having won 3 of 5 games, others have won 2.

What that says is that this is a very tough league with very evenly matched teams, and we hit teams cold. Our two friendlies stood to us, which is good.

We do need to kick on though and get another win under our belt next week.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,637 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Yeah we have 4 incredibly tough games coming up.
    We need to rediscover our form for the first 3 weeks.

cork and ballalley play each other next week and the Monks could have a tough game too so a win may see us open up some a few points at the top.

i'll miss them - I've another job lined up, was trying to keep it quiet, but the guy I'm replacing just couldn't shut up about leaving.

We play the Monks next week who are a very good team.

we are 3rd (2 points behind the leaders) who play BallAlley.
    With a win, we could be top but it will be a tough game.

So at the midway point
    League Table

We are in 3rd place, 5 points behind the leaders who play the Exiles next week which will be a tough game for them.
    The Monks in second have a potential banana skin against Drakesville who knocked 4 past BallAlley tonight.

We play the Gary Abletts, this is a game we 100% must win. The week after with play the league leaders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

It's a strange league. We beat AB Cycle factors quite handily but they haven't lost since, are top of the league, and won last night against the team that beat us the previous week.

Gary Abletts have improved as well - they beat Grant Thornton last night who we only drew with. So I doubt our match against them next week will be quite like the 7-1 we beat them on the opening day of the season. Will be tougher for sure.

Yeah, its very much a league where anyone can and will be anyone else on a day

Mousewar wrote: »
    It's a strange league. We beat AB Cycle factors quite handily but they haven't lost since, are top of the league, and won last night against the team that beat us the previous week.

Gary Abletts have improved as well - they beat Grant Thornton last night who we only drew with. So I doubt our match against them next week will be quite like the 7-1 we beat them on the opening day of the season. Will be tougher for sure.

Yep

Complacency is a disease of any team so we need to take every match as serious as the next. If we go out with the right attitude & giving 100% commitment as Jules said in the remaining games this season we have a good chance of winning this league. It's all about hard work at the end of the day. We have the players and squad to do it so lets keep it going from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

So are there cup matches this season?

Mousewar wrote: »
    So are there cup matches this season?

Yep, Fridays, would imagine it'll be a few weeks before they kick off

Last year it kicked off in July

The Monks play before us while the Exiles play the league leaders at the same time.
    An ideal result would be a draw there which coupled with a win for us would see us 3 points behind the leaders who we play next week.

The Monks play before us while the Exiles play the league leaders at the same time.
    An ideal result would be a draw there which coupled with a win for us would see us 3 points behind the leaders who we play next week.

Good stuff

Once we just concentrate every week on the job at hand without any complaceny we can beat anyone. I think the most important thing from what I've noticed that the calmer we start the better we get on, meaning if we get the ball knocked around early without any real pressure we normally push on quite well.

When we've been put under pressure early we seem to struggle big time.

Quiet thread this year, so I'll just stick in some facts and figures.

Firstly, the final league table
    table_zpsdcb17ccd.jpg

Fixture Details

fixtures_zps7522f0eb.jpg

Results

wdl3_zpsd23dcaf6.jpg

League Position Week to Week

posch_zpsd899ff58.jpg

Player Appearances

apps_zps146af68c.jpg

Goalscoring Chart

goals_zps8c672a81.jpg

Line-ups
    1half_zps73870905.jpg
    2half_zps99f881a6.jpg

Great goal tally Derek, 15 in 16 is good going!

• Advertisement

Jesus Des thats a fierce amount of work to track all that stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

**** me Des, you have no life.

Would have won the league if I.......................................... :P

I'll be back for cup games, BOO YA.

not much work - takes 5 mins to update the spreadsheet on a Wednesday morning.

The worst stat there, for me, is the fact that we used 28 players this season. That's worrying, and is a big factor in why we were so inconsistent. When we got a settled 13/14 lads for the last few games we were pretty good.

I think we/I made a mistake in starting with so many people, but by about halfway through the season we started to struggle for numbers on a weekly basis.

Now, we had unprecedented injuries. Jules, Ciaran, Gar, Darren, Wes, Damo were all missing large portions of the time and most, if not all, of them lads would be looking to make the XI each week, so we were pretty unlucky there I think.

Some positives, we scored in all but 2 games. We took at least a point off each team - apart from 123.ie, in both games against them we were absolutely woeful.

The summer in general is always worse as people have holidays but added into that injuries to so many players we were decimated.

A big thanks to Luke and Ste who were both immense

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Mall10357

The summer in general is always worse as people have holidays but added into that injuries to so many players we were decimated.

A big thanks to Luke and Ste who were both immense

And me

Ha ha, yes, and you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭mrDerek

was not expecting stats to be posted nice surprise

Advertisement