Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lifehacking pics - Simples.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Gokei

8aUMyh.jpg
    Works on android too!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭BeerSteakBirds

Use a bar of soap without all those chemicals. Linking them to all sorts now.

When my Dove soap is down to the tiniest last unusable (in the shower) piece I slip that tiny piece into an old hand soap bottle with a tiny bit of water inside. There are enough soapy pieces and the water dilutes it enough to provide me with a nice Dove style hand soap for free. Other soaps work too of course. In fact I might have mixed in a small piece of another soap remains I found. Thats my life hack to dealing with the obvious waste of those tiny slivers of soap left behind which are too small to use :)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,921 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

When my Dove soap is down to the tiniest last unusable (in the shower) piece I slip that tiny piece into an old hand soap bottle with a tiny bit of water inside. There are enough soapy pieces and the water dilutes it enough to provide me with a nice Dove style hand soap for free. Other soaps work too of course. In fact I might have mixed in a small piece of another soap remains I found. Thats my life hack to dealing with the obvious waste of those tiny slivers of soap left behind which are too small to use :)

sliver-soap-lifehack.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭BeerSteakBirds

Mellor wrote: »
    sliver-soap-lifehack.jpg

How do you make the soap stick ? That doesn't work and doubly doesn't work if you are trying to stick two different types of soap together. I know because I tried that since I was a kid and they dont merge like glue. Far better to collect all the slivers inside an empty liquid soap dispenser and add a drop of water. The end result is more hygienic than hand soap anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭ScottStorm

How do you make the soap stick ? That doesn't work and doubly doesn't work if you are trying to stick two different types of soap together. I know because I tried that since I was a kid and they dont merge like glue. Far better to collect all the slivers inside an empty liquid soap dispenser and add a drop of water. The end result is more hygienic than hand soap anyway.

I always do it, just use pressure and water, they stick together handily enough.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I may have solved the worlds energy crisis!

255415.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

KAGY wrote: »
    What's gas cylinder for? can't see a place for a hob?

Thats NOS

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

sDCkqV8.jpg

dzWJwSW.jpg

WjntTje.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

cant see from the picture too well, but if that guy's hammock is made from the fence and not a bought hammock then he wins.

In the picture it could be either.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

a96OwuB.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

rubadub wrote: »
    I have a hobby that uses corn syrup and rye grains, most forums about it were dominated by US poaster.

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 MYDADPULLEDOUT

8276TOq.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Kxiii

genius-stupid-13.jpg?w=500&h=375

• Registered Users Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

[IMG][/img]4vNjq3G.png
    Here's how to do it

looks like you can buy it in Designist Designist, 68 South Great Georges Street, Dublin 2

I'm defo gonna give it a go, sick of my earbuds falling out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

I'm defo gonna give it a go, sick of my earbuds falling out!

or try something like http://www.amazon.com/Far-End-Gear-FESG-Earphone/dp/B00AC9ANVA

easier, more convenient and less risk or pulling your eardrums out.

I have never been able to use in ear buds in my life, never had a pair to stay in more then a few seconds. til I got earphones with these grips, now they never fall out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

8276TOq.jpg

Im going to try that in the bathroom. Sick of having near boiling water coming from the hot tap, and near freezing water coming from the cold.

syklops wrote: »
    Im going to try that in the bathroom. Sick of having near boiling water coming from the hot tap, and near freezing water coming from the cold.
    Bit off topic, but worth turning the stat on your tank down to about 50C. Save cash, and safer..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Gokei wrote: »
    Bit off topic, but worth turning the stat on your tank down to about 50C. Save cash, and safer..

Thanks for the tip, I'll look at it again, but as Im in an apartment block I think its centrally controlled. Will let you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,921 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Gokei wrote: »
    Doesn't it mean that you end up using more water from the tank which balances out.

eg
    Tank is at 50 degree. I want to use the sink/bath/shower with water at 50 degree. I take it straight from the hot tank.

If the tank was at 100 degrees. I'd use half hot and half cold water.
    So it costs twice as much to heat the water twice as hot, but you use half as much.
    Doesn't it all cancel out?

Note: I picked 50 and 100 to keep it simple, it holds true for all.

Maybe heat losses would be less from the cooler tank. So some saving there, but its probably a lot smaller than you initially think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭b318isp

Newton's law of heat loss states that the rate of heat loss is related to the differential in temperature, so proportionally more heat is lost the higher the generation and storage temperature - it is not a linear relationship (I think it follows an exponential curve).

You will also have similar increased losses in the boiler and pipework. Then factor in time - the longer you hold the water, the more energy is lost.

These could easily add up to double digits, greater than you might think. You have to think of these things from an energy, not a temperature, point of view.

There is no direct advantage of holding water over around 55degC (below this point there can be micro-biological risks, such as Legionella).

• Advertisement

b318isp wrote: »
    Newton's law of heat loss states that the rate of heat loss is related to the differential in temperature, so proportionally more heat is lost the higher the generation and storage temperature - it is not a linear relationship (I think it follows an exponential curve).
    for conduction it's linear Q=UAdT dT =delta temperature Q=heat transfer
    for radiation it's the difference in forth power of the absolute temperatures of the thing and it's surroundings - Stefan's Law not a biggie unless you paint it black
    for convection , break out the heavy maths ,

Back to pictures
    hfRTeRY.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭b318isp

for conduction it's linear Q=UAdT dT =delta temperature Q=heat transfer
    for radiation it's the difference in forth power of the absolute temperatures of the thing and it's surroundings - Stefan's Law not a biggie unless you paint it black
    for convection , break out the heavy maths ,

OK, and were talking mainly about radiated losses from the boiler, distribution system and HW tank.

As a BTW, I find it crazy that many houses have the hot taps and radiator pipework is uninsulated it crazy. It is good to have the hot tank well lagged, but there is a further opportunity in the distribution system.

Never mind the equations, when a child puts their hands under anything over 50, you'll know about it.. safety first, count the pennies second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Drift

There is a risk of legionella developing in warm water that isn't heated to above a certain temperature at regular intervals. I stand open to be corrected but I think in Ireland this is considered to be 60 degrees.

The way to prevent scalding is with a thermostatic mixing valve.

Edit: PS: I know this is very "un-life-hacking" but I think it's important!

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭RomanGod

Stinicker wrote: »
    I may have solved the worlds energy crisis!

255415.jpg

Cat will hover because of quantum indecision

Brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭SC Kevin

Cut out side of milk container and use bottom to hold paint with built in handle and paint brush holder!

1043873_499047950168435_396733150_n_zps689ba5fd.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭SC Kevin

The Beverage Boat! :D

BeverageBoat_zpsea6bae61.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Long but good

cool_life_hack_old_pics.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Big Tanya

Thanks for posting those old pics from the old cigarette packs.
    nice to read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭red_0007

mpAargS.jpg

The sun will absorb the moisture? I'll bet the boys and girls at CERN didn't know it can do that.

Advertisement