Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

tax relief on crowns

• 02-06-2013 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭huggs2

I will be having a crown fitted soon and my dentist tells me i can get tax relief on it.Does anyone know if this tax relief is also available if i get it done abroad or in the north?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

huggs2 wrote: »
    I will be having a crown fitted soon and my dentist tells me i can get tax relief on it.Does anyone know if this tax relief is also available if i get it done abroad or in the north?

I presume if you are due to have the crown fitted the dentist has already done the prep work, impression and temp crown. It's a bit late in the day to be heading abroad given that it will take about 5mins to fit the crown!
    You're a prime example for all dentists why they ought seek at least half of the payment after this first visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

huggs2 wrote: »

You need to get the work done here in Ireland to get the tax, you could ring Revenur & check as the rules do change.

I assume you're not going to do a runner on the costs you have already run up with your dentist? Apart from being chased through the small courts for the money ; you NEED to have a good safe dentist you can trust in your phone book!

I got work done from an outside Ireland dentist & did I live to regret it. Ended up back at my original ( fab) dentist who had to fix the mess -I was mortified. He was so good about it.

& yes I got the form stamped & tax relief. The dentist has to stamp the form & therefore be eligible -it's not something you can just do online yourself later.

Stick with the good guys. The courts are filled with dentist disasters from abroad -did you see the woman who went for 1crown & lost 6 front teeth lately. That was a clinic that advertised every week in national newspapers. Woman has no teeth & had to run up an international court case to get any kind of remedy .wont help her when she takes out her false teeth at night & puts them in a jar beside her bed thou.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

You need to get the work done here in Ireland to get the tax, you could ring Revenur & check as the rules do change.

Not true. Any dentist in any country within the EU can complete your MED 2 form and you can claim you tax back.

As with any country, including Ireland, you have to choose your dentist carefully.

Some of the worst dental treatment I have had in the world was in Ireland.

I have four ceramic crowns that replaced Irish ones that were duds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭ Tate Itchy Fig

True, you can claim back tax via a med 2 form from any Eu country (amazingly...the mind boggles really that the Irish taxpayer looses out if you choose to spend your money in another country). Crown and bridge can be tricky, having local support and somebody to visit regularly is important.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭huggs2

I have no intention of doing a runner. I've paid half the money and will pay the balance on completion.
    I just wanted information on this Med. form.
    Thanks for info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Is tax relief applicable on Implants in general or is it only following treatments of gum disease which included bone grafting and bone augmentation ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭ Tate Itchy Fig

Zardoz wrote: »
    Is tax relief applicable on Implants in general or is it only following treatments of gum disease which included bone grafting and bone augmentation ?

I have never done an implant that didnt involve manipulating the bone and gathering up some bone to augment the site, cleaning up the adjacent teeth or following a good cleaning for some gum disease ;)

Advertisement