Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Would this be true for ipad vs Surface?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

The Surface Pro is a fully fledged PC, so I'd say thats better than the iPad for content creation.

But if you're comparing the iPad to the Surface RT, I'd probably go for the iPad, since it's got the better ecosystem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

DjFlin wrote: »
    The Surface Pro is a fully fledged PC, so I'd say thats better than the iPad for content creation.

But if you're comparing the iPad to the Surface RT, I'd probably go for the iPad, since it's got the better ecosystem.

That article was comparing the RT (just checked, it was..).

I would be comparing RT to ipad. Having some kind of office software on a device would be important to me. What do you mean by ecosystem?

Also, does either device play avi files?

I would be comparing RT to ipad. Having some kind of office software on a device would be important to me. What do you mean by ecosystem?

Also, does either device play avi files?

By ecosystem, I mean apps. For example, you can get Photoshop on an iPad, but not on Windows RT.

Windows RT has a very small marketshare at the moment, so the app situation is pretty grim.

I think both devices can play .avi files using apps from their respective Stores, but I'm not certain.

DjFlin wrote: »
    By ecosystem, I mean apps. For example, you can get Photoshop on an iPad, but not on Windows RT.

Windows RT has a very small marketshare at the moment, so the app situation is pretty grim.

I think both devices can play .avi files using apps from their respective Stores, but I'm not certain.

But surely the marketshare and apps will grow for Windows 8? It ain't Linux.

But surely the marketshare and apps will grow for Windows 8? It ain't Linux.

Not really. Most developers aren't too keen on Windows 8's app platform.

They dont want to waste time and resources building Windows RT versions of apps if only a few people are going to buy them.

• Advertisement

Ok, thanks for your advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

I'd say RT has a limited life in it. The Windows Pro laptops are coming down in price. I don't know what MS were thinking for RT.
    e.g. (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-10-1-inch-Keyboard-Silver-Integrated-Graphics/dp/B009T69O44/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1369728325&sr=8-5&keywords=windows+convertible+laptop)
    It's a low spec laptop but average for a tablet.

I have a laptop that cost about €700 and a €350 tablet (Android) in a couple of years I'd say it's be likely that I'll have device that does both rather than two seperate devices. You can create content on the current batch of Androids & iPads using Office equivalents but it's not as comfortable as doing it on a Windows or Mac laptop / PC.

Advertisement