Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Access to Lough Tay and Lough Dan

• 06-09-2009 10:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Hi, I'm looking to get down to either Lough Dan or Lough Tay to do a bit of kayaking, but i was down there today, and it seems like Lough Dan is completely surrounded by private property.

Is there any way to get to Lough Dan or Lough Tay?

Thanks,

Donny5

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Donny5 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm looking to get down to either Lough Dan or Lough Tay to do a bit of kayaking, but i was down there today, and it seems like Lough Dan is completely surrounded by private property.

Is there any way to get to Lough Dan or Lough Tay?

Thanks,

Donny5

Seeing that nobody else has answered, I think that Lough Tay is out - private. I think that I have seen kayaks on Lough Dan.
    Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Dr Pepper

Not sure if Lough Tay is even accessible by public road. I know there's a place called 'Pearl Gates' and a couple of car parks on the road above Lough Tay (between Djouce and Lough Dan) but the only road I know going down towards the lake is private property.

I think Lough Dan is owned/controlled by the Scouts. I don't imagine it would be too easy to get onto it. 'The Man' has ruined almost everything for us adventurous people unfortunately (with his rules and regulations and insurance-obsessed culture)!!

Speaking of the man (and just in case you're interested), I just applied to ESB Fisheries for a sail boat permit for Poulaphouca Resevoir (Blessington Lakes). The same type of permit can be used for a kayak. The price is €50 per year. The 'year' (actually 11 months) runs from 1st November to 30th September. [You can try kayaking without the license for a while but they monitor the lake fairly closely so you wouldn't get away with it for long!]

Phone: 061 350 598 or 061 350 538

Address:
    ESB Fisheries,
    Ardnacrusha,
    Co Clare

Web: The Wha?

Don't expect them to be able to answer any questions or be in any way useful though! :P

/end rant :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Thanks for the info. I've no objection to carrying the boat (an inflatable) down to Lough Tay over Luggala, but if that shore is private too, I guess I'm out of luck. I came a across a blog about hillwalking where a guy walked down that private road towards Lough Tay, and it branches off to the left and goes down close to Lough Dan. It seems the last bit would be through someones house, though.

I was thinking of approaching Lough Dan from the Sally Gap over Knocknacloghoge. It's a bit of a trek, but it might be worth it. I'm reliably informed that the North West corner is part of the Wicklow Mountains National Park.

I totally agree with you, Dr Pepper, about the privatisation of the Wicklow Mountains. It's a real shame.

Donny5 wrote: »
    I came a across a blog about hillwalking where a guy walked down that private road towards Lough Tay, and it branches off to the left and goes down close to Lough Dan. It seems the last bit would be through someones house, though.

That route (from the Pearl Gates) goes right down to the lake shore. There is only an old ruin of a house there. At least that was the case last time I was there probably 10 years ago. I don't think there'd be any problem getting on the water from there, if you're willing to carry your boat all the way down the path, but it probably wouldn't be long before somebody from the Scout centre approached and asked you what you're at!

I didn't realise that the National Park included part of the lake. That might be an option alright. Although, there's probably some rule somewhere about not kayaking (or operating a paddle-propelled veh-icle) in National Parks!! Sorry, it always comes back to the man :rolleyes:

Dr Pepper wrote: »
    That route (from the Pearl Gates) goes right down to the lake shore. There is only an old ruin of a house there. At least that was the case last time I was there probably 10 years ago. I don't think there'd be any problem getting on the water from there, if you're willing to carry your boat all the way down the path, but it probably wouldn't be long before somebody from the Scout centre approached and asked you what you're at!

I didn't realise that the National Park included part of the lake. That might be an option alright. Although, there's probably some rule somewhere about not kayaking (or operating a paddle-propelled veh-icle) in National Parks!! Sorry, it always comes back to the man :rolleyes:

That could be the case. There is no boating allowed in the Glendalough Lakes because it's a wildlife reserve, although it's only mentioned on the website, and not sign posted.

To be honest, I wouldn't care in the slightest what the Scouts thought. I'd be well away from them and kayaking is as near a zero-impact activity as you can get. Hillwalking does more damage.

The scouts themselves do rafting and kayaking on the lake.

• Advertisement

Best of luck with it anyway. Let us know how you get on if you do get out paddling in that area. I love those big cold, brown Wicklow mountain lakes! :)

Dr Pepper wrote: »
    Best of luck with it anyway. Let us know how you get on if you do get out paddling in that area. I love those big cold, brown Wicklow mountain lakes! :)

Thanks, I appreciate it. I'll write up a full report. I recently bough a pack raft as a way to add more variety to my hiking, and those lakes are so damn enticing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

I was on Lough Tay in '86 or '87 involved in film making. As far as I know it is controlled by the Guinness family.
    Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Stonybroke23

Hi I know I'm a few years late! But we accessed lough dan two weeks ago through the Wicklow national park(north west of the lake) the rest of the lake is privately owned -just like lough Tay and part of lower lough bray. Best thing to do is to trek down the inchavore river and down to the valley.lovely walk -and old ruined houses.we did not meet a soul there on a Saturday afternoon. Saw an otter on the river. Might be a bit awkward with the kayak if your on your own though!

Hi I know I'm a few years late! But we accessed lough dan two weeks ago through the Wicklow national park(north west of the lake) the rest of the lake is privately owned -just like lough Tay and part of lower lough bray. Best thing to do is to trek down the inchavore river and down to the valley.lovely walk -and old ruined houses.we did not meet a soul there on a Saturday afternoon. Saw an otter on the river. Might be a bit awkward with the kayak if your on your own though!

Hah, Stonybroke, you actually did remind me that I promised to report back on getting into Lough Dan three years ago and never did, so here goes:

You can easily enough walk down from the Sally Gap road, down along a forest track then trough a short stretch of woods to handrail the Inchavore river all the way to the lake. You once could put in at Annamoe and paddle up to the lake, but someone has made a concerted effort to block that stretch of river by cutting down trees and moving earth. I think that's low from whoever's doing it, but they've done a good job at it. It's impassable now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Stonybroke23

I can't understand why people would want to restrict kayaking in Wicklow -it's hardly going to cause much damage ! My brother kayaks freely in Connemara though :) wild and beautiful .

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

[mode note] moved from sailing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

JamesM wrote: »
    I was on Lough Tay in '86 or '87 involved in film making. As far as I know it is controlled by the Guinness family.
    Jim.
    Correct. You can see the hunting lodge from at least one of the viewing points.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 EnderWiggin1

A few weeks ago two friends and I walked from Enniskerry to Lough Tay heading to our camp in the park north west of Lough Dan. The weather turned really nasty on us and deep snow and bad visibility on Djouce meant we lost our trail and were badly delayed. When we finally got to the home stretch from Lough Tay to Lough Dan just around dusk, a green pickup rolled up behind us, we hadn't seen another person for hours and were hoping we might get a lift or at least some encouragement! The hostile individual driving the jeep, sporting a Deerstalker hat and without pause, immediately started quizzing us about our destination and threatening us. We were in acute shock that someone, anyone, could see the particularly bad situation we were in and instead of offering us assistance try and intimidate us with threats. I explained we had walked over 25k in the worst possible conditions and were all freezing and soaked to the bone, the truth was if we didn't get camp set up soon and get warm we were looking at hypothermia. This individual who described himself as a "ranger" just kept reissuing his threats that if we tried to camp near his land he would, "find us and move us" I even asked him was there an oul shed he could put us up in and he laughed in our faces. We were forced to go much further to Roundwood and stay in a B&B.
    It is a crying shame that two of the most beautiful lakes in the country are owned by aristocratic absentee landlords who reside outside the country, maybe visit their estate twice a year and for the remainder of the year, close off the lakes to the public while they are patrolled by a militant "ranger"

• Registered Users Posts: 23,228 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Lough Dan is not owned by absentee landlords I happen to know the families that own the land around the lake.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Zuppy

A few weeks ago two friends and I walked from Enniskerry to Lough Tay heading to our camp in the park north west of Lough Dan. The weather turned really nasty on us and deep snow and bad visibility on Djouce meant we lost our trail and were badly delayed. When we finally got to the home stretch from Lough Tay to Lough Dan just around dusk, a green pickup rolled up behind us, we hadn't seen another person for hours and were hoping we might get a lift or at least some encouragement! The hostile individual driving the jeep, sporting a Deerstalker hat and without pause, immediately started quizzing us about our destination and threatening us. We were in acute shock that someone, anyone, could see the particularly bad situation we were in and instead of offering us assistance try and intimidate us with threats. I explained we had walked over 25k in the worst possible conditions and were all freezing and soaked to the bone, the truth was if we didn't get camp set up soon and get warm we were looking at hypothermia. This individual who described himself as a "ranger" just kept reissuing his threats that if we tried to camp near his land he would, "find us and move us" I even asked him was there an oul shed he could put us up in and he laughed in our faces. We were forced to go much further to Roundwood and stay in a B&B.
    It is a crying shame that two of the most beautiful lakes in the country are owned by aristocratic absentee landlords who reside outside the country, maybe visit their estate twice a year and for the remainder of the year, close off the lakes to the public while they are patrolled by a militant "ranger"

That was hardly a NPWS ranger as everyone of them I have ever met was friendly and helpful. I would reckon disgruntled land owner as no ranger would refer to it as their land. Grumpy was probably trying to further intimated you with a title. I am surprised anyone would refuse to assist someone in difficulty, shows land owners in bad light if it was them or their employees.

Just for the record, I came across a similarly unpleasant guy in a pick-up on the way from Djouce to Lough Dan several years ago - probably the same guy/organisation.

Yeah maybe it was the guy who owns the house to the left of the trail in the Valley, as he did keep referring to "their land".

I recommend anyone else that comes across him on the wicklow way, to tell him to mind his own business

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Zuppy

Yeah maybe it was the guy who owns the house to the left of the trail in the Valley, as he did keep referring to "their land".

I recommend anyone else that comes across him on the wicklow way, to tell him to mind his own business

Politely :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Zuppy wrote: »
    Politely :-)

This being the key.

We're a community who thrive on the decency of land-owners and we've a very good reputation too.

Let's keep it that way. :)

• Advertisement

MugMugs wrote: »
    This being the key.

We're a community who thrive on the decency of land-owners and we've a very good reputation too.

Let's keep it that way. :)

Wow, how much land do you own? I unfortunately have been shown nothing but contempt by the land owners I have accidently stumbled upon.

Wow, how much land do you own? I unfortunately have been shown nothing but contempt by the land owners I have accidently stumbled upon.

What's me being a landowner got to do with Kayaking and the kayaking community?

What's me being a landowner got to do with Kayaking and the kayaking community?

Well by your comment you seem to be quite confident on how the community "thrive" on your decency?

Well by your comment you seem to be quite confident on how the community "thrive" on your decency?

I was speaking as a kayaker. I would've thought that evident this being a kayaking forum.

I was speaking as a kayaker. I would've thought that evident this being a kayaking forum.

Maybe try reading the entire thread, the discussion is about access

Maybe try reading the entire thread, the discussion is about access

I'm perfectly aware of what the topic is and I've read this thread a number of times.

I supported a statement made by another user. We should retain our politeness at all times with landowners as WE (the kayaking / canoeing community) overall have a very good reputation with landowners all over the country

Frankly, with the attitude you're displaying here today I am none too surprised that you're treated with contempt.

I'm perfectly aware of what the topic is and I've read this thread a number of times.

I supported a statement made by another user. We should retain our politeness at all times with landowners as WE (the kayaking / canoeing community) overall have a very good reputation with landowners all over the country

Frankly, with the attitude you're displaying here today I am none too surprised that you're treated with contempt.

I didn't mean to offend - I wish you all the best

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Banbh

You could ask the scouts who own Lough Dan house if they would allow you access though many years ago I was given the oul "we're not insured to let non-scouts cross our land."
    Second option is to bring a scout with you.
    And third option is to walk up the river from the bridge at Oldbridge. Tough but doable. Once you are on Lough Dan you can land and explore the stream that leads into the north side as this is national park but avoid the stream at stepping stones (clochoige) as an angry landowner owns one side of the river and the lakeshore under the cliffs.
    Interesting stuff: In the 1930s people used to come to Lough Dan for boat trips and picnics. Those trout-like fish you might see are Arctic char and Loughs Dan and Tay are one of the rare sites for them in Ireland.
    Lough Dan is called after the Dana or Deanna, the god of the the De Danann, and not the equally hole woman of Eurovision fame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

He is based there alright, he is an employee of the owner, the somewhat eccentric gentleman who lives in the huge house at lough Tay. So it is his business to patrol the estate unfortunately. This unpleasant ranger/henchman has thrown me out twice, once for having a MTB and once for having a dog with me. I'd be very much in favour of the State taking control of the valley by compulsory purchase order and making a tourism asset out of it. There is a fantastic route down a track one side of the river, then crossing stepping stones at the river beside the ruin, and walk back up the other side. There is an equally unpleasant guy on the other side path (Archers Road) who keeps putting No Trespasser signs at the top of it. Anyway there is zero chance of getting a kayak in.The entrance gates at Luggala are called the Pier Gates BTW(not Pearl)

The other lake, lough Dan, I launched from the scouts facility while they weren't there, and paddled across and camped on the far side. The scenery is fantastic but the midges were terrible. Another time I paddled up from Oldbridge, but had to portage over trees and branches along the way, it's not worth all the scratches and bruises going that route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭barraseaclaid

Unfortunately being a scout and a new paddler the issue surrounding access to lough dan via the scout centre is not as simple as an insurance issue, as a youth organisation they must by law ensure that.( everyone working with (I.e. scout leaders) and anyone present on their property e.g. caretakers has been Garda vetted and as a result that measures are in place to ensure that in the interests of child protection that access to the scout centre is monitored, solution join the scouts!!! Simples!!!

Advertisement