Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Best 10k workouts - by Greg Mcmillan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭AdpRo

Also trying this program.

I managed the 6 * 1 miles last weekend, aiming for sub 50 so plan was to run 8.00, managed to do all reps between 7.57 & 7.59, found it tough going for the last 2 though, do people normally take a standing / walking break or just slow down and keep running? I was taking a standing / walking break, there is no way I would have been able to complete if I didn't!

I did 10 * 400m today, they were ok, last 2 or 3 were hard to keep pace, averaged around 1.45 - 1.50 for the reps so happy enough, for the first 5 recoveries I jogged but the last few were a mix of jogging and walking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Letyourselfgo

Weetabix wrote: »
    Also trying this program.

I managed the 6 * 1 miles last weekend, aiming for sub 50 so plan was to run 8.00, managed to do all reps between 7.57 & 7.59, found it tough going for the last 2 though, do people normally take a standing / walking break or just slow down and keep running? I was taking a standing / walking break, there is no way I would have been able to complete if I didn't!
    !

It should be 3 minute jog recovery for the 6x1 mile reps, it does make the session a little harder but it's suppose to be hard :D 10k PB's have to be earned. It's always been a bad distance for me but hopefully the Mcmillan sessions help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭elPadrino

I'm back again to have another crack at a fast 10k. I ended up doing 2 of the 4 sessions last time out but, disappointingly, missed the last two. Still, I managed to improve my PB by a few minutes.

Goal race is the Fingal 10k in 9 weeks time. I did this race last year and it was quite hilly in parts. Going to do the 1x6 miler later in the week so I'll let you know how I get on.

Goal: As close to 40 minutes as possible :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

elPadrino wrote: »
    I'm back again to have another crack at a fast 10k. I ended up doing 2 of the 4 sessions last time out but, disappointingly, missed the last two. Still, I managed to improve my PB by a few minutes.

Goal race is the Fingal 10k in 9 weeks time. I did this race last year and it was quite hilly in parts. Going to do the 1x6 miler later in the week so I'll let you know how I get on.

By all accounts that Fingal 10k is slow as molasses..... would you not pick another?

Nice expression :D

Yeah I ran it last year and found it ok (ish) apart from the fair bit of wind that was about. I might reconsider closer to the time.

• Advertisement

Session 1 in the bag. Was a fairly stiff headwind for miles 1, 2, 3 as I headed out the flat route along the coast from Clontarf towards Howth. I turned around after 3 intervals and Mother Nature played ball for the next two with a nice tail-wind. Then, of course, the wind did a 180 and blew straight into my face for the last mile. This better be worth it :D Anyway, target pace was 6:26/mile for a 40 minute 10k goal. Splits were as follows:

1: 6:15
    2: 6:21
    3: 6:23
    4: 6:14
    5: 6:13
    6: 6:17

Tired, but happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Hard to beat that stretch for these sessions! The wind can be strong sometimes alright but the elevation is perfectly flat.
    Good session!

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭FrClintPower

elPadrino wrote: »

I'm going to do these sessions to prepare for the Fingal 10k as well. Aiming for 43mins which is about a minute faster than my Terenure 5 mile time would suggest so I'm expecting the 6 x 1 mile session this week to be pretty tough!

I extended the McMillan workouts by 3 weeks and introduced 5x1k (wk1), 4x1 mile (wk2) and 5x1k (wk10) and that'll bring me right up to the Dunshaughlin 10k. I think jumping in at 6x1 miles off a lowish base is tough and I can remember 2 years ago myself and meno started on 4x1 mile before the 6x1 mile and it worked well.
    It'll also be interesting to see the difference in the 1k reps in wk 1 with wk 10.

I've yet to miss a session of the extended program. Have done 6 of the 10 sessions with the 5k race on Saturday just gone. I ran 22'08 (little disappointed) but there's a tough climb and I'm convinced I could run faster on a flatter course. My pace was sth like 6'50 for the first and last mile while the pace in the middle (hill) WAS 7'42 :eek:
    My question is though I'd rather do a 5k now at the end of the program instead of 10k and am wondering should I alter the remaining sessions?

2x2 mile +2x 1 mile
    20x200m
    3x2m
    5x1k

or add sth else a little quicker but shorter in addition to the above?
    I do want to keep the last 5x1k just so I can compare it to week 1. I'd like to get into 20xx territory and with 5 weeks to go I don't think it's out of the question?

I've yet to miss a session of the extended program. Have done 6 of the 10 sessions with the 5k race on Saturday just gone. I ran 22'08 (little disappointed) but there's a tough climb and I'm convinced I could run faster on a flatter course. My pace was sth like 6'50 for the first and last mile while the pace in the middle (hill) WAS 7'42 :eek:
    My question is though I'd rather do a 5k now at the end of the program instead of 10k and am wondering should I alter the remaining sessions?

2x2 mile +2x 1 mile
    20x200m
    3x2m
    5x1k

or add sth else a little quicker but shorter in addition to the above?
    I do want to keep the last 5x1k just so I can compare it to week 1. I'd like to get into 20xx territory and with 5 weeks to go I don't think it's out of the question?

I'd bang a hill workout this week or next (8-10 reps 1:20/1:30 steep hill) Run a solid 3-5mile tempo to replace the 3x2miles and change the 20x 200 to 10x 400 off 1 min (but at 3k-5k race pace. Sounds to me like strength is a problem right now (based on dropping to a min off pace up the hill)so hills and tempo will help that/ while the 400's quick will sharpen you. Also the 4 w/o's you list are totally 10k specific (w/ the exception os the 20x 2 ) and if you wanna run fast 5k's, I firmly believe you need to workout a bit between 3k and 5k pace..

I think tempos are really important as well as they teach the body to hold a baseline pace and keep the threshold low. I'm really not a fan of the 3x2m workout for anything shorter than a 10k....

• Advertisement

Sorry yeah that 5x 1k is a really good workout as well...

drquirky wrote: »
    Sorry yeah that 5x 1k is a really good workout as well...

Thanks for the quick reply. That all sounds pretty good. I definitely won't be back to marlay for the goal race :D so would you still keep the hill session?

Yeah I really like the 5x1k and I find it a good predictor as well.

Thanks for the quick reply. That all sounds pretty good. I definitely won't be back to marlay for the goal race :D so would you still keep the hill session?

Yeah I really like the 5x1k and I find it a good predictor as well.

I always find hills brings on rapid improvements in me....helps a bunch with both speed and strength. I'd keep it but do it this week as you'll see the benefits on the sharpening approaching the goal race... what goal race you targeting? I've hear that Marlay course ain't the quickest lol

Also assume you are doing strides but for 5k I'd religiously do them 3 days a week....I've gone back to them and really seen improvements in my top end speed

I always find hills brings on rapid improvements in me....helps a bunch with both speed and strength. I'd keep it but do it this week as you'll see the benefits on the sharpening approaching the goal race... what goal race you targeting? I've hear that Marlay course ain't the quickest lol

Also assume you are doing strides but for 5k I'd religiously do them 3 days a week....I've gone back to them and really seen improvements in my top end speed

Thinking about the midsummer in St Annes(16/6) but for some reason I have it in my head that it's short (have nothing to back this up) so maybe Malahide on the 22nd.
    I'm going to keep the hill session. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Thinking about the midsummer in St Annes(16/6) but for some reason I have it in my head that it's short (have nothing to back this up)

There was a late course change last year, if it was short that might be the reason. If it was short - it's through a park, plenty of tree cover and some sharp turns to confuse a Garmin

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Ninap

Anyone else find all the chopping and changing between metric and imperial measures a bit confusing? Easier if the plan was just in metres / Kms

Ninap wrote: »
    Anyone else find all the chopping and changing between metric and imperial measures a bit confusing? Easier if the plan was just in metres / Kms

Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭Peckham

KMs and metres are for wimps, track posers and triathletes. Road runners train in miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Peckham wrote: »
    KMs and metres are for wimps, track posers and triathletes. Road runners train in miles.

What distance is that race you keep volunteering for in malahide every sat morning??

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

Peckham wrote: »

And I thought yards and miles were for Americans, imperialists and UKIP ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭Peckham

belcarra wrote: »
    What distance is that race you keep volunteering for in malahide every sat morning??

That's not road running!

I'd bang a hill workout this week or next (8-10 reps 1:20/1:30 steep hill) Run a solid 3-5mile tempo to replace the 3x2miles and change the 20x 200 to 10x 400 off 1 min (but at 3k-5k race pace. Sounds to me like strength is a problem right now (based on dropping to a min off pace up the hill)so hills and tempo will help that/ while the 400's quick will sharpen you. Also the 4 w/o's you list are totally 10k specific (w/ the exception os the 20x 2 ) and if you wanna run fast 5k's, I firmly believe you need to workout a bit between 3k and 5k pace..

I think tempos are really important as well as they teach the body to hold a baseline pace and keep the threshold low. I'm really not a fan of the 3x2m workout for anything shorter than a 10k....

i like the sound of doing hill repeats as most road races will have some sort of hilly section where your pace can drop if you're not careful, so i'll be incorporating a couple of hilly sessions in the off weeks between mcmillan's sessions. what kind of pace/effort would you be talking about here? all out for 1.30? 10k pace? 5k pace?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

i like the sound of doing hill repeats as most road races will have some sort of hilly section where your pace can drop if you're not careful, so i'll be incorporating a couple of hilly sessions in the off weeks between mcmillan's sessions. what kind of pace/effort would you be talking about here? all out for 1.30? 10k pace? 5k pace?

You should do your hill repeats at 3-5k effort, not pace. Take sufficient recovery between each one to allow you to match the effort during each repeat, walk down the hill if necessary. These will help build leg strength and will help you on a hilly course.

pconn062 wrote: »
    You should do your hill repeats at 3-5k effort, not pace. Take sufficient recovery between each one to allow you to match the effort during each repeat, walk down the hill if necessary. These will help build leg strength and will help you on a hilly course.

good stuff, a bit harder to estimate than pace but i'll give it a bash.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

good stuff, a bit harder to estimate than pace but i'll give it a bash.

True but the idea I think it not to get too tied up with pace but rather do them at a good solid pace, they should feel hard but not so hard that you have to cut the session short. That's why it is better to gauge by effort than by pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Ceepo

pconn062 wrote: »
    True but the idea I think it not to get too tied up with pace but rather do them at a good solid pace, they should feel hard but not so hard that you have to cut the session short. That's why it is better to gauge by effort than by pace.

Comfortably hard ;).
    Agree with you on these. They should be done approx same pace. So pick a hill not to steep.
    30 to 80 sec long but I wouldn't go much longer. Run to the same point, float back down rec,and back up again, if you can't hold time for the effort you are making then you have enough done. You don't need any set amount just do enough. A bit vague maybe but you will know when you have enough;)

Ceepo wrote: »
    Comfortably hard ;).
    Agree with you on these. They should be done approx same pace. So pick a hill not to steep.
    30 to 80 sec long but I wouldn't go much longer. Run to the same point, float back down rec,and back up again, if you can't hold time for the effort you are making then you have enough done. You don't need any set amount just do enough. A bit vague maybe but you will know when you have enough;)

grand, the steepness was going to be my next question! I live beside the Phoenix Park so I might do these up the hill towards Upper Glen Road from the Chapelizod gate, it's a steady gradient.

grand, the steepness was going to be my next question! I live beside the Phoenix Park so I might do these up the hill towards Upper Glen Road from the Chapelizod gate, it's a steady gradient.

Steady gradient is exactly what you are after. You should be trying to develop aerobic power and not to go anaerobic. Or explosive power. No saying there is not a place for this but but not all at the same time.

I'm going to do these sessions to prepare for the Fingal 10k as well. Aiming for 43mins which is about a minute faster than my Terenure 5 mile time would suggest so I'm expecting the 6 x 1 mile session this week to be pretty tough!

IMO someone who is running 43+ min for 10k does not have the aerobic capacity to sustain doing 6 x 1 ml reps, 4 would be enough,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭Itziger

Ceepo wrote: »
    IMO someone who is running 43+ min for 10k does not have the aerobic capacity to sustain doing 6 x 1 ml reps, 4 would be enough,

Interesting. I have no coaching experience whatsoever but I thought the pace would be what matters. I'm 37.4x for 10k and did the key sessions of the plan discussed here.

If the poster is doing the reps at the correctly adapted pace, shouldn't he try the full 6??

What about age and gender, would they matter as well?

Genuine questions btw, not trying to start an argument.

Advertisement