Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Virtual Haircut

• 23-05-2013 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭

This is quite incredible. To paraphrase the tumblr post; you have to listen to this with headphones. In-earphones may work, but you'll need it a bit too loud. Speakers won't work, so don't waste your time.

Press the play button and close your eyes. You can do it with your eyes open if you want, but it's not quite as good.

http://butthatsabsurd.tumblr.com/post/49585655057/klandestinekandle-scarrinparamour

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I was expecting same lame scare tactic. Just a audio file that mimics what you'd hear getting your hair cut. Kind of interesting, did make me smile.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Welcome to 2007

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

This is about 10 years old, but a great blast from the past. I love when he whispers in the ear, made me laugh out lad in dead silent college library! :D

Closing my eyes with earphones and really trying to imagine it, it is quite incredible. Almost expected the lad playing the guitar to still be there when I opened my eyes...

Edit: Just to add, this is known as "holophonics" or 3D sound, and there are plenty of other examples on youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭Redrocket

havnt had a hair cut in 10 years, amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

Created something similar in Uni a few days ago as a practical assignment.
    We based it on a gang-style kidnapping like the "stuck in the middle with you" scene from Reservoir Dogs.

It's called binaural recording, and basically involves having an omnidirectional microphone in the position of each ear, so it picks up the miniscule difference in time and volume between them, and having these panned hard left and right on the headphones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

baraca wrote: »
    Welcome to 2007

I think 2004 would be more accurate. Still cool though.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Tazium

I think 2004 would be more accurate. Still cool though.

I see your 2004, and raise (reduce) you back to 1994 ;) I listened to the OP's haircut convinced I'd heard this done in a music mix, wrecked my noggin trying to recall it from my DJ days, even the scissors sound over the head is included. Now, this isn't going to be everyone's cuppa, but the same effects are used throughout and I really enjoyed this.

1994 Culture Beat, Got to Get it (Hypnotic Mix) the second link lets you hear it.

EDIT - further examples go back to 1982! Pink Floyd for The Final Cut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 TheDB

That was awesome. Had earphones in and closed my eyes and could really imagine myself there. The clippers gave me goosebumps. The bag bit was so funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,221 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Tis' freaky indeed.

Word of warning. If you do listen to any of these binaural recordings, alone, at night, in the dark....

....check through the comments section first to make sure its not a screamer!!!

Voice of experience here.

:eek::eek::eek:

Advertisement