Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PHECC Medical Advisory Committee Elections

Options
  • 10-05-2013 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I’ve been nominated by my Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) peers to run as a candidate for the upcoming national Pre-Hospital Emergency Care Council (PHECC) Medical Advisory Committee elections. There are 2 seats available and there are 8 candidates running for them.
    Voting is for PHECC registered EMT’s who have a valid email address registered with PHECC (Please check with PHECC by May 13th to ensure you have a vote).
    Online voting will take place from 15-22 May inclusive. I would greatly appreciate it, if you are an EMT, that you would consider voting for me and giving me either your No.1 or No.2 vote. The link here is to my canvassing page on the PHECC website, http://www.phecit.ie/PHECC/What_we_do/Committees/Medical_Advisory_Group/MAC_Elections/EMT_candidates.aspx
    Please feel free to share this post with any EMT’s you are friendly with. Thank you very much for taking the time to vote.
    Regards,
    Des.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

Not to ask the obvious, but you're which one? And why you over the others?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Since he said his name "Des" at the end. I'll go ahead and assume he is Des O'Halloran ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

Well Yup, that might make a bit of sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

looks like F.B.I most wanted list..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

Surprised to see a Garda on that list!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

Hooch wrote: »
    Surprised to see a Garda on that list!

It's open to any PHECC registered practitioner at EMT, Paramedic and Advanced Paramedic level. You don't have to be a member of any ambulance service or voluntary organisation. Any person with the relevant PHECC qualification can be nominated.

Having said that I must correct myself because for some reason PHECC has excluded any practitioner who is currently in their internship year. Not only is the intern excluded from being nominated but they are also excluded from nominating or voting for another practitioner, even though they are paid up members. For this reason alone I know of practitioners who have chosen not to cast their vote based on this bias alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

You've an impressive biography/cv there Des! Good Luck!

Jack Collins or Adrain Fox are other likely candidates to succeed. Both seem highly qualified.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭The Villain

maglite wrote: »
    And why you over the others?

Hi Maglite,

I won't go down the political road of saying why you should vote for me over any of the other lads, we are all on a par with our qualification, and we all seem to be involved in voluntaries which means we are all giving something back to the industry free of charge. Thats something that should be commended in this day and age.

Why I feel people should vote for me is contained in my biography on the PHECC website, list of candidates page.

I took the opportunity to canvas on a relevant chat forum both to make EMT's and other grades aware that the elections are coming up, and also to show my interest and candidacy to people who may be neutral and may need some encouragement and persuasion to cast a vote...maybe even for me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭ambo112

Qualifications aside, I am at para level and will vote for those who will be pushing for the most progression irrespective of their voluntary involvement and current qualifications outside if paramedic.

We are years behind other countries in terms of skill level and badly need progress.

You can qualify in the states in 16 weeks and give over 60 meds, cardio vert, intubate, IV, RSI to name a few...

It doesn't have to be years in the making, modularised upskilling is my view :-)

How do people feel about EMT upskilling? They've been quite acceptant of it in the past and hopefully more will come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

ambo112 wrote: »
    We are years behind other countries in terms of skill level and badly need progress.

You can qualify in the states in 16 weeks and give over 60 meds, cardio vert, intubate, IV, RSI to name a few...

It doesn't have to be years in the making, modularised upskilling is my view :-)

We are not years behind other countries because the Advanced Paramedic level carries a large number of skills, Intubation, IV,IO access, needle cricothyriodtomy, chest decompression, pre-hospital thrombolysis on top of a list of over 30 medications.

As for gaining the skills you've named in a sixteen week timeframe, some course's in certain countries will give you a drug and tell you to give it for a certain complaint, full stop. In the UCD/NASC training programme you are taught and are examined on the pharmocodynamics and pharmocokinetics of all the listed medications as in you must know the workings of these drugs at cellular level in the body and have full understanding of the workings of these medications within the body and how the body interacts with that medication along with how that medication you've given may interact with any medication the patient may already have taken or are on long term. This is why the Irish standard is high and is quickly putting us at the forefront of pre hospital emergency care.

If I were to receive pre hospital emergency treatment and I had a choice of receiving it from someone who sat a sixteen week condensed course in the US or from someone who has come through both the diploma and graduate diploma emergency medical science programme with UCD and the NASC, I know who I would choose;)

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭antichrist

BX 19 wrote: »
    How do people feel about EMT upskilling? They've been quite acceptant of it in the past and hopefully more will come.

What do you mean by upskilling? From EMT to paramedic level?

antichrist wrote: »
    What do you mean by upskilling? From EMT to paramedic level?

No, I mean specific skillsets being upskilled. The void between paramedic skills and EMT skills can't really be bridged.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭antichrist

BX 19 wrote: »
    No, I mean specific skillsets being upskilled. The void between paramedic skills and EMT skills can't really be bridged.

Isn't this happening anyway? Paracetamol added for EMT, i-gel added too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

They must be added a long time now? Last one I remember was the pelvic splint.

Yea, that's what I mean, are EMTs happy with that? I hear Salbutamol nebs are being talked about.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭ambo112

Bang Bang wrote: »
    We are not years behind other countries because the Advanced Paramedic level carries a large number of skills, Intubation, IV,IO access, needle cricothyriodtomy, chest decompression, pre-hospital thrombolysis on top of a list of over 30 medications.

As for gaining the skills you've named in a sixteen week timeframe, some course's in certain countries will give you a drug and tell you to give it for a certain complaint, full stop. In the UCD/NASC training programme you are taught and are examined on the pharmocodynamics and pharmocokinetics of all the listed medications as in you must know the workings of these drugs at cellular level in the body and have full understanding of the workings of these medications within the body and how the body interacts with that medication along with how that medication you've given may interact with any medication the patient may already have taken or are on long term. This is why the Irish standard is high and is quickly putting us at the forefront of pre hospital emergency care.

If I were to receive pre hospital emergency treatment and I had a choice of receiving it from someone who sat a sixteen week condensed course in the US or from someone who has come through both the diploma and graduate diploma emergency medical science programme with UCD and the NASC, I know who I would choose;)

The AP is a high standard, however the classroom based study isn't two years long, it isn't much more than the 16 weeks. Everything else is long distance and an internship which doesn't offer anymore education than self reflection and a mentor.

Qualification doesn't mean competence, they can call it a super super masters but it won't make much if a difference.

Overall, the Paramedic standard needs to progress much higher and the AP should be a lot like the UK's ECP or Australian/New Zealand AP.

As for us getting quickly to the forefront of Pre-hospital care try get the P/AP recognised in the UK for prior learning and see how much to the front we are...

Just my opinion don't load the rifle :-)

Advertisement