Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S2S Cycleway - northside

• 05-03-2013 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

According to http://www.clontarf.ie/news/s2s-cycleway-information-meeting works must begin before the summer as otherwise it'll be shelved for another year.

So by my reckoning we should start to see some builders in the area in the next month or so.

Anyone got an update on whether this is starting this year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭buffalo

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/work-to-start-on-dublin-bay-cycle-path-1.1390672
    Work on the construction of the Sutton to Sandycove cycleway (S2S) around Dublin Bay is to get under way more than a decade since planning for the route began.

This first section will close the 2km gap in the current promenade and cycle path running from Clontarf to Sutton.

This will also mean that cyclists can avoid the piece of road mentioned latterly in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

Wonder did DCC or whatever consultant they paid a fortune to considered diverting the cycle path up causeway road through the island and back on at Wooden bridge. The only real pinch point would be the bridge but I'm sure a solution for less than 14 million could have been found. The current proposed idea of reducing the road width for 600k seems a real compromise and i can't see how it won't adversely affect traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Stollaire

Is there any clue to what is proposed between the East Wall road & Guild Street/North Quays?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

buffalo wrote: »

This will also mean that cyclists can avoid the piece of road mentioned latterly in this thread.

I'm sure it will also mean that during construction, that piece of road will be even more lethal than it currently is.

Then again, I suppose you can't have an omelette without breaking eggs.......

detones wrote: »
    The current proposed idea of reducing the road width for 600k seems a real compromise and i can't see how it won't adversely affect traffic.

If it's wide enough for two cars/buses, grand. I'd be for removing the on-street parking - never understand how we as a society so easily accept people using public roads for storage of their private cars for hours/days/weeks. Though I suppose they do pay road tax.

edit: also, compromise is a good thing, no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

If it's wide enough for two cars/buses, grand.

Buses don't go up that far do they?

mrcheez wrote: »
    Buses don't go up that far do they?

The 130 seems to.

Cross-post alert! http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0513/392082-cllrs-vote-to-treble-dublin-bikes-scheme/
    Dublin City Councillors have approved construction of another section of the Dublin Bay cycleway and a trebling of the Dublin Bikes Scheme.

Two kilometres of cycletrack will be added at Clontarf at a cost of around €600,000.

This will provide a continuous 8 km cycleway from Sutton to Fairview.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭BofaDeezNuhtz

never understand how we as a society so easily accept people using public roads for storage of their private cars for hours/days/weeks. Though I suppose they do pay road tax.

I've highlighted the parts that might help you understand :rolleyes:

I've highlighted the parts that might help you understand :rolleyes:

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic. If I left my private couch on the public road outside my house, it wouldn't be tolerated. Likewise if I occupied a car parking space with my bike...

On-street parking uses up valuable space that could be used by moving traffic, as well as creating hazards for pedestrians trying to cross the road, and cyclists with the danger of being doored. Look at doozerie's latest post for illegal on-street/on-path parking that seems to be tolerated by society and Gardaí as a necessary evil, despite endangering lives.

If we removed the on-street parking along the coast road, there'd be plenty of room for the desired cycleway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

If we removed the on-street parking along the coast road, there'd be plenty of room for the desired cycleway.

Where should all those people who have no driveways park?

Raam wrote: »
    Where should all those people who have no driveways park?

Car parks. Or let them build a driveway.

Or don't get something that you have nowhere to put. :D

Car parks. Or let them build a driveway.

Or don't get something that you have nowhere to put. :D

Which car park? I don't see why they should have to pay for a driveway.
    They have somewhere to put it right now.

I commute on this stretch of road every day. I don't see what the fuss is all about to be honest.

Which car park? I don't see why they should have to pay for a driveway.
    They have somewhere to put it right now.

I commute on this stretch of road every day. I don't see what the fuss is all about to be honest.

I don't know which car park, it's not my car - whatever suits the owner.

Where's the fuss? detones said he didn't think 3m each way was very wide, and I pointed out that if they removed the parked cars, there'd be more space. Is that not logical?

I don't know which car park, it's not my car - whatever suits the owner.

Where's the fuss? detones said he didn't think 3m each way was very wide, and I pointed out that if they removed the parked cars, there'd be more space. Is that not logical?

There would be more space but I don't see it as a fair solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,219 ✭✭✭markpb

There would be more space but I don't see it as a fair solution.

People living in many apartment blocks are not automatically allowed to park their cars outside their apartment - they had to purchase a parking space from the developer. It's not very fair but there is precedent. Public roads are for the public, not for people's private use.

markpb wrote: »
    People living in many apartment blocks are not automatically allowed to park their cars outside their apartment - they had to purchase a parking space from the developer. It's not very fair but there is precedent. Public roads are for the public, not for people's private use.

The houses which have no drives... who should they purchase their car parking spots from?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,219 ✭✭✭markpb

The houses which have no drives... who should they purchase their car parking spots from?

Why did they purchase a house and a car when they have nowhere to park it? The state makes no promise that on-street parking will always be available, there have been numerous instances of it being suspended or removed to facilitate roadworks, utility works, the introduction of bus lanes, the widening of the road, etc.

Looking at the section of road in question it seems pretty clear that they'll need to retain on-road parking.

I imagine what will happen will be to pave over the bike lane on the right and widen it by 1/2 foot (or cut into the pedestrian path). Will be a tight squeeze for 2-way bike traffic, but it seems that the road would still have plenty of room for cars

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

All of those houses have access to a back lane and many had garages when originally built.

• Advertisement

This plan says, amongst other things, that there will be a loss of 7 parking spaces. Dunno if that is the plan which is to be implemented.
    http://www.dublincity.ie/RoadsandTraffic/MajorTransportProjects/Pages/SuttontoSandycoveCyclewayandFootwayInterimWorksScheme.aspx

More info in this one...
    http://www.dublincity.ie/RoadsandTraffic/MajorTransportProjects/Documents/1001.pdf

Says some spaces are gained in some sections and some are lost.

More info in this one...
    http://www.dublincity.ie/RoadsandTraffic/MajorTransportProjects/Documents/1001.pdf

Says some spaces are gained in the some sections and some are lost.

A toucan crossing at Woodenbridge... why couldn't they put in a zebra crossing and give priority to pedestrians?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

I thought with the new guidelines they had to do this. They probably haven't updated the plans yet.

All of those houses have access to a back lane and many had garages when originally built.

You're right... hmm, time to clear out the garages methinks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Is this parking conversation a troll? People pay for on street parking or obtain and pay for permits, also its fairly handy to be able to park in a public place when you are visiting somewhere don't you think? or should we all have private driveways doted about the city? What a load of nonsense.

On Topic, I'm looking forward to this new cycleway, will be a nice spin from end to the other, and thank goodness the piece of road at the wooden bridge will be dealt with.

Is this parking conversation a troll? People pay for on street parking or obtain and pay for permits, also its fairly handy to be able to park in a public place when you are visiting somewhere don't you think? or should we all have private driveways doted about the city? What a load of nonsense.

Just because it's "handy" doesn't mean it's the best way of doing things. Private driveways and garages, public car parks, and proper parking/loading bays all have a part to play. As well as encouraging people to cycle or use public transport.

The problem with on-street parking is most apparent when the bus lane on the Camden-Georges Street stretch is full of parked cars in the evening, and traffic is bumper to bumper. There's not enough room for a cyclist to get by, never mind about the congestion it's causing. A little further out, look at Ranelagh. Here's a wonderful village, stuffed full of parked cars instead of having wider paths for people to enjoy. Or this example near Terenure: http://goo.gl/maps/UOkGJ - edit: that's a so-called mandatory cycle track, with parking spots overlaid. The clearway only applies at certain times... what's the point of that cycle lane at all?

If you're heading somewhere that requires you to bring a car, that destination should have ample parking - like a school, say. If there's not enough parking, more should be provided, or alternatives to avoid clogging up the roads.

Just because it's "handy" doesn't mean it's the best way of doing things. Private driveways and garages, public car parks, and proper parking/loading bays all have a part to play. As well as encouraging people to cycle or use public transport.

The problem with on-street parking is most apparent when the bus lane on the Camden-Georges Street stretch is full of parked cars in the evening, and traffic is bumper to bumper. There's not enough room for a cyclist to get by, never mind about the congestion it's causing. A little further out, look at Ranelagh. Here's a wonderful village, stuffed full of parked cars instead of having wider paths for people to enjoy. Or this example near Terenure: http://goo.gl/maps/UOkGJ

If you're heading somewhere that requires you to bring a car, that destination should have ample parking - like a school, say. If there's not enough parking, more should be provided, or alternatives to avoid clogging up the roads.

What about my friend's house? his house requires me to travel by car. Must he provide multiple parking spaces if he wants a guest to arrive by car? Am I not allowed travel by car to place if private parking is not provided?

Get some perspective man, you're talking complete tosh.

Incidentally I've lived in Ranelagh my entire life, we need more parking there not wider paths.

• Advertisement

What about my friend's house? his house requires me to travel by car. Must he provide multiple parking spaces if he wants a guest to arrive by car? Am I not allowed travel by car to place if private parking is not provided?

What is it about his house that requires you to travel by car? Is it in some quantum zone that will only accept a four-wheeled private vehicle?

Advertisement