Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best camera for travelling around South America

• 01-05-2013 7:27pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Alright lads/ladies,

Going travelling around south America for two months in June. Trying to figure out what camera to bring with me. I currently have a 60d and a 350d but I have a worry bringing either away. I fear they will be too bulky to have with me all the time, and that I will miss certain situations due to it being buried in a bag. And also, the fact that it would stand out a mile to any would be muggers with it strapped around my neck.

Which has me wondering if I should buy something more pocketable. Missed the chance to pick up a new olympus epm1 for 180 quid recently which would have been ideal!

Thinking along the lines of a micro 4/3 camera, or possibly a bridge of some sort.

I can get a Nikon V1 for 275. Its the size I'm looking for, takes good quality snaps and has a digital viewfinder. It is however at the very upper end of my budget.

I would be interested in a bridge camera potentially, but would worry I wouldn't have manual controls.

As a photographer, I want access to my manual settings as quickly and easily as possible. So I want something that will give me manual settings, take great shot, be somewhat pocketable and after all that wont break the bank!

I'm not picky like :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭adox

How about getting a Lowepro Slingshot bag? Camera out of sight and within easy and quick reach. Camera can be accessed without taking the bag off your shoulder?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

adox wrote: »
    How about getting a Lowepro Slingshot bag? Camera out of sight and within easy and quick reach. Camera can be accessed without taking the bag off your shoulder?

Wont really be a runner due to having to carry a sizeable backpack as it is. Adding another bag to that will just be cumbersome when I trek with all my gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Farmlife

I'd take the 350 if it was me, the €275 would pay for a compact one now could go towards an upgrade when you get back, if it's taken you'd probably pick up a s/h 350 for less than the €275

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

i took my 600d instead of the 5d2 with me to america with my 24-105L and a fifty prime. even that was a bit of a pain for me, and i wished for something smaller, and kind of stealthy for traveling.
    would love to hear suggestions from others..
    something i'm definitely thinking of is an olympus or panasonic micro 4/3s camera

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

If the 350d was lost it wouldn't be replaced. So there's no worry there in terms of loss. More concerned about not using the camera as much as I should when I'm away as it'd be too big to bring everywhere. Should be able to pocket most micro 4/3 or similar.

The Canon g11/g10 were mentioned to me by another user on here, but although they were great in their day I would imagine the micro 4/3's have taken their place in terms of image quality.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I have a G9 and a fuji x100 and either would be a great travel camera, the X100 shades the G9 but that has a zoom

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Borderfox wrote: »
    I have a G9 and a fuji x100 and either would be a great travel camera, the X100 shades the G9 but that has a zoom
    +1 on the fuji. A bit of gaffer tape and it will never be mistaken for an expensive camera
    X100s-lede.jpg

http://strobist.blogspot.com.au/2013/03/in-depth-new-fujifilm-x100s.html

By the looks of it the x100 is what i need. But my measly budget will only stretch to around 275 tops! So that rules that one out surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,449 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Get the best camera that you can fit in the pocket of a a baggy pair of shorts.

Nothing makes you feel more conspicous that walking about with a big camera in your hand/ on your back.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Pardon my ignorance if I'm way off, I'm no camera expert by any stretch,

I know its not a bridge or a 4/3

If you're going travelling, why not something like a canon powershot d20? water & shock proof, small, compact, rugged and actually takes a fairly good picture for a p & s camera.

I have one, and although the digital zoom leaves a lot to be desired, its quite good and you don't have to worry about it getting damaged/wet/dust ridden when you're out exploring & if you like your extreme sports.. Also it switches on quite quick and is ready to go nearly straight away when you see something that needs fast action.

Oops just noticed you like your manual settings to be at the ready... completely rules me out...

Sorry :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭pedatron

Was just going to start a thread on the same topic. Going inter railing this summer and don't want to be lugging around my slr! Anything cheaper than the x100? Couldn't justify that kind of money!

At this stage i think its the best pocketable camera i can afford is what i need. Have a point and shoot, but it lacks any manual controls which really frustrated me the last time i was travelling. Would need AV, TV at least. Full manual ideally. I know i ask for a lot but still!

Olympus pen ep1 would set me back around 150 with a kit lens buying second hand. But its reviews state that it may not be the greatest in the world to use, and is slow to focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Would the "Canon PowerShot SX500 IS" suit ye? It has a manual mode, but not sure how "manual" it is. It's €300 though in Conns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

the_syco wrote: »
    Would the "Canon PowerShot SX500 IS" suit ye? It has a manual mode, but not sure how "manual" it is. It's €300 though in Conns.

my choice too. nice big bright VF and widish lens. great camera if you can get one.

Thanks for all the great suggestions folks. Really appreciate it.

The SX500 looks interesting, but super zoom is not something I need, so I wonder if I'm moving into a range of cameras outside of my requirements. I'd be happy with a 30mm prime for most of the time.

Half considering a Samsung NX100, which can be picked up for in and around 150ish. Lack of an integrated flash might be a pain, but most cameras of that type suffer from the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,651 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Sell the 60D and buy a recent m4/3 camera - one with the 16 Mp sensor as is used in the EM-5.

cnocbui wrote: »
    Sell the 60D and buy a recent m4/3 camera - one with the 16 Mp sensor as is used in the EM-5.

Selling the 60d is not an option. Looking for something to do me for 2 months away, not something to replace the 60d. Have too much money and lenses invested into the 60d to sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

cnocbui wrote: »

what money are we talking for a 2nd hand em-5? i must look at adverts...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

what money are we talking for a 2nd hand em-5? i must look at adverts...

Why not pick up the EPL5 ? It's basically the same camera without the Viewfinder ?
    Get the twin lens kit for about 650 or so0mething like that ?
    http://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/8582/Olympus-PEN-E-PL5-Black-with-14-42mm-II-R---40-150mm-R-Lenses-Kit.html

• Advertisement

Any opinions on the nx100? Budget is tight! Can pick one up for sub 160ish

Honestly haven't a clue about the nx100 but it seems to get very good reviews.
    Another option is
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/OlympusPen-E-PM1-Compact-System-Camera/dp/B0058GI8F0/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1367581766&sr=1-2&keywords=epm1

and suits your budget ?

Honestly haven't a clue about the nx100 but it seems to get very good reviews.
    Another option is
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/OlympusPen-E-PM1-Compact-System-Camera/dp/B0058GI8F0/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1367581766&sr=1-2&keywords=epm1

and suits your budget ?

Yup the epm1 seems great. Saw one in pc world for 180 brand new a couple of weeks back. But i was an eejit and didn't buy it because i wasn't sure about it when insaw it. Came back 2 hours later and she was gone!

NX100 at the right price and i think id be happy enough.

There seems to be alot more upgrade options on the Olympus though if you wanted new lenses etc..
    I actually would recommend you try and find a second hand GF1...Simply brilliant camera..and regret every day that I sold it :(

Cant really see myself upgrading. Might have something in the bag at the minute. Ill report back soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭pedatron

Cant really see myself upgrading. Might have something in the bag at the minute. Ill report back soon.

100nx tickling my fancy as well. Definitely seams to be the best value!

Well I thought I had a great deal on an NX100, but it fell through. So back to where I started.

I have to say I liked the feel of the Samsung, so the NX1000, might not be a bad shout. It comes in at 300 new, or at least in or around that price.

The Nikon V1 is at 250 now, but after seeing the quality of the pics from the Samsung and it's rather large sensor I think it appeals to me more.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭ripcord

Sorry for hijacking the thread, I was going to post something similar! I've travelled before with my canon s100 and found it to be great and very compact. I wear it with a Lowe pro case on my belt and its hard to notice.

I was wondering about upgrading to a bridge camera, but as you have said, wouldn't like to be carrying something too big around when travelling. I'm now curious about these micro 4/3 cameras and must check them out. Could someone recommend a good one that would have a larger sensor (and hopefully better quality) than the S100?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,651 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I mentioned a couple here.

• Advertisement

Well lads, i ended up taking a punt on a Samsung nx1000 new from amazon. I've been thinking far too much about this bloody camera situation, so i just had to bite the bullet!

Ill right a review here when i get it!

Advertisement