Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

M9 motorway (general thread)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Very mangled barriers over a bridge section south of Mullinavat - the hard shoulder's coned off and some temporary Armco in place.

Whatever hit it must have done so violently, and very lucky not to go over!

A.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

rameire wrote: »
    they were removing the temp barriers and sweeping the road this evening as I was passing at the M9 to M7 merge.

Up that way this morning, and it's sill coned off to one lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,112 ✭✭✭rameire

Al Capwned wrote: »
    Up that way this morning, and it's sill coned off to one lane.

passed it again yesterday, all they need to do is complete the painting of the white lines and it is done.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭Bards

alinton wrote: »
    Very mangled barriers over a bridge section south of Mullinavat - the hard shoulder's coned off and some temporary Armco in place.

Whatever hit it must have done so violently, and very lucky not to go over!

A.

http://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/local/man-badly-injured-in-m9-crash-1-4999858

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

• Advertisement

the M9 to M7 merge has been completed and is open,
    drove it today, its nice and long, surface isnt great, but it will do.
    unfortunately the drivers are idiots and wont stick to the rules of the road and will cross the hatched lines when they need for some reason to get to the overtaking lane.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

rameire wrote: »
    the M9 to M7 merge has been completed and is open,
    drove it today, its nice and long, surface isnt great, but it will do.
    unfortunately the drivers are idiots and wont stick to the rules of the road and will cross the hatched lines when they need for some reason to get to the overtaking lane.

It's an odd one, never seen a merge setup like it.
    Stay in the right lane & you merge as before.
    Stay in the left lane & you go half a km before you merge.

Having 2 merging points means traffic now gets stalled twice going north, Especially on a Monday when both lanes of the M7 are full.

I'm surprised they didn't resurface the Emergency Vehicle run through the trees while they were down there, that mystery road saved me on more than one occasion with crashes ahead or All-Ireland Final days.

Rabidlamb wrote: »

Having 2 merging points means traffic now gets stalled twice going north, Especially on a Monday when both lanes of the M7 are full.

I'm surprised they didn't resurface the Emergency Vehicle run through the trees while they were down there, that mystery road saved me on more than one occasion with crashes ahead or All-Ireland Final days.

Sounds like the setup on the N7 -> M50 (N) merge

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Bards wrote: »
    Sounds like the setup on the N7 -> M50 (N) merge
    .. and many, many others. Honestly it's not an unusual setup at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Alun wrote: »
    .. and many, many others. Honestly it's not an unusual setup at all.

Definitely seen this on the M25 around London.

• Advertisement

M50 -> M1 is the same isnt it?
    Not unusual at all in fairness. It'll hopefully help with the congestion there at times!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Extremely common across the rest of the world. Sort-of officially called a tiger tail in the UK.

It does actually work better than a single lane merge when people get used to it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Isn't there a plan to extend the 3 Lanes from Naas back to the M7/M9 merge or did I just dream that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Isn't there a plan to extend the 3 Lanes from Naas back to the M7/M9 merge or did I just dream that ?

There is a plan to add an additional lane for both directions of travel between Naas and the M7/M9 interchange. Someone posted minutes of a Kildare Co Co meeting recently where it was discussed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Yes there is a plan and it is quite badly needed. No actual plans online though AFAIK.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Quickelles

They'l be added in the centre; there is a wide grass median from the Naas Road to the M7/9 merge.

The new merge works won't affect anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

It might need to be modified a little as this is the point where the lane drop/gain will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Where is said road?

Where is said road?

if going north bound. It is just on the right before you enter the tunnel

• Registered Users Posts: 5,680 ✭✭✭jd

MYOB wrote: »

It does actually work better than a single lane merge when people get used to it.

People panic in Ireland! Similar set up coming off the Ballymun Junction to go M50 South. People swerve across the hatching to get on the main lane ASAP when it is easier to stay left and merge from a long auxiliary lane at your leisure.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Quickelles

jd wrote: »
    People panic in Ireland! Similar set up coming off the Ballymun Junction to go M50 South. People swerve across the hatching to get on the main lane ASAP when it is easier to stay left and merge from a long auxiliary lane at your leisure.

Indeed, just a few minutes ago I had to have severe words with herself indoors for doing that coming from Cherrywood to the M50 northbound (J16) where they have a similar double join. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Indeed, just a few minutes ago I had to have severe words with herself indoors for doing that coming from Cherrywood to the M50 northbound (J16) where they have a similar double join

A camera situated at these locations might both reduce the deficit and increase orderly use of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

ardmacha wrote: »
    A camera situated at these locations might both reduce the deficit and increase orderly use of the road.

An RSA ad, similar to the recent ones, could improve matters as these types of merges are common to most of the motorways in the country

• Registered Users Posts: 19,384 ✭✭✭✭road_high

M9 " largely empty" according to the wisdom of Matt cooper. Someone should tell him much of it is busier than the M8 to his beloved cork!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

road_high wrote: »
    M9 " largely empty" according to the wisdom of Matt cooper. Someone should tell him much of it is busier than the M8 to his beloved cork!

When did he say that?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,384 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    When did he say that?

Heard it on the playback today. So some evening during the week. The day the new lands cross and N11 upgrades were finally announced.
    The M9 seems to be a lightening rod for this kind if thing even though its as busy as any of the others m-ways.

road_high wrote: »
    Heard it on the playback today. So some evening during the week. The day the new lands cross and N11 upgrades were finally announced.
    The M9 seems to be a lightening rod for this kind if thing even though its as busy as any of the others m-ways.

And considering the M9 is the shortest of all the motorways i bet on a km by km basis it is far busier than the M8

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Bards wrote: »
    And considering the M9 is the shortest of all the motorways i bet on a km by km basis it is far busier than the M8

Aren't the M3, M4 and M2 and M11 sections shorter than the M9?:confused: Certainly the M2 and M11 at any rate.

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Aren't the M3, M4 and M2 and M11 sections shorter than the M9?:confused: Certainly the M2 and M11 at any rate.

I'm talking about the MIU's

• Advertisement

MIU?

Advertisement