Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Voice of Ireland (Season 2)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Chocoholic84

LizT wrote: »
    Thinking back, it was pretty bad the way Kelly was just ushered off the stage after Keith won, not even a round of applause or anything.

Very poor form alright, poor girl was just totally ignored!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Eyepatch

Did she walk off of her own accord?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Eyepatch wrote: »
    Did she walk off of her own accord?

Kian kind of guided her off after they stood there being ignored by Kathryn.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    X Factor wanted them to try out as a fun novelty act (i.e. an act to laughed at) but Crystal Swing refused to audition, good on them
    I didn't realise that Liz, I thought a genuine approach had been made by BGT. Fair play to Crystal Swing for telling them where to go.

Kian kind of guided her off after they stood there being ignored by Kathryn.

I imagine she was tired standing and needed to go off. Pity the way it ended for her. I'm sure it was not meant to happen like that.

Yes, I think crystal swing would be much better off avoiding BGT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84,818 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

None of the final four are making a dent in the Irish charts

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Pat D. Almighty

None of the final four are making a dent in the Irish charts

That's because radio stations aren't playing it, and most radio stations in Ireland take their cues from our friends across the water. Regional stations might play the songs, but sin é.
    Until we get fully independent national media, Irish creativity is doomed to obscurity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭bopper

Well each of the four finalists songs are cover versions so there wasn't much Irish creativity to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

That's because radio stations aren't playing it, and most radio stations in Ireland take their cues from our friends across the water. Regional stations might play the songs, but sin é.
    Until we get fully independent national media, Irish creativity is doomed to obscurity.

Keith Hanley smashed into the Charts at number 37 (still higher than the winner of The Voice UK did over there last year)

http://www.irma.ie/aucharts.asp

Kelly is at 67.

It is nothing to do with Radio, They all had plenty of exposure on Primetime RTE1.

If I was cynical (which I am) I would say that all the finalists' Friends and Neighbours are broke after voting for them multiple times, and the rest of the country doesn't have much interest in them.

Skid X wrote: »
    Keith Hanley smashed into the Charts at number 37 (still higher than the winner of The Voice UK did over there last year)

http://www.irma.ie/aucharts.asp

Kelly is at 67.

Plus Shannon is at 49.

Poor Shane didn't even manage the top 100 but the original version of Fake scraped in!

• Advertisement

bopper wrote: »
    Well each of the four finalists songs are cover versions so there wasn't much Irish creativity to begin with.

Yep, but I'm speaking in a broader sense... Anyone that sings in their own accent is laughed at by the general music consumer, especially hip hop. Irish people seem to relate, or at least they think they do, more to African-American hip-hop, because it's "forced" upon them.
    Irish people supporting English football teams is another example.

Britain, it hasn't gone away you know...

It is nothing to do with Radio, They all had plenty of exposure on Primetime RTE1.

Me hole. if more radio stations played it, they'd sell more units.

Me hole. if more radio stations played it, they'd sell more units.

Nonsense,

Playing bog standard cover versions from a Reality Show is not supporting Irish Music.

There are good singers out there, but not on that show.

Nonsense,

Playing bog standard cover versions from a Reality Show is not supporting Irish Music.

There are good singers out there, but not on that show.

Nonsense me hole. Are you honestly saying that increased radio play will have no effect on sales?

Nonsense me hole. Are you honestly saying that increased radio play will have no effect on sales?

It might have had a small increase in sales. But those singers performed in front of hundreds of thousands of viewers every week. That is far exposure than any limited Radio play would brought them. And no Radio Station is going to change their Playlist at short notice to accommodate poor cover versions by Reality Show Contestants.

Frankly, their dismal Chart Performance indicates that the Radio Station were correct not to give them airtime. The public are aware of these singers, they just aren't interested in their songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

It might have had a small increase in sales. But those singers performed in front of hundreds of thousands of viewers every week. That is far exposure than any limited Radio play would brought them. And no Radio Station is going to change their Playlist at short notice to accommodate poor cover versions by Reality Show Contestants.

Frankly, their dismal Chart Performance indicates that the Radio Station were correct not to give them airtime. The public are aware of these singers, they just aren't interested in their songs.
    nail on head...keep this crap off the radio

You, my friend, haven't a f**king clue what you're on about :D Dismal chart performance does not indicate lack of quality. The only thing a dismal chart performance shows is lack of airplay. The vast majority of the music consuming public in this country hadn't a clue who these people were and never saw the show. The only people that watch these shows are people that know people on the show, or people that know people from their area...and culchies.
    The people that watch the show are not music consumers. They are merely casual music fans (Hence why so many terrible acts get voted through each week). Do you reckon your average FM104 listener watches The Voice? Doubtful. Does the average PhantomFM lister watch The Voice? Unlikely. And before you accuse me of being Dublin centric, I must add that Dublin consumers contribute to the majority of unit sales to IRMA.

It may not be your cup of tea, but your sneer towards these type of shows is getting in the way of you having an unbiased argument.

You, my friend, haven't a f**king clue what you're on about

Now, now -there is no need for that kind of language. I am well aware of the importance of Radio Airplay. But you are deluding yourself if you think there are no occasion where songs can do well in the charts without significant airplay.

This is the biggest Talent Show in the Country. It is regularly either number one or number two in the TV Ratings. The equivalent of the X Factor in the UK. The winners of that competition don't have any problem getting huge sales in their release week. Do you really think if BBC Radio 1 didn't give the winner of that show any airplay it would struggle to break into the UK Top 40? You only need 500 sales most weeks to break into the Irish Top 40. If you can't manage that when you are performing on a show which has over 500,000 viewers then something is wrong. And it isn't the lack of Radio airplay. Six had the third biggest selling single in Ireland when they were on a Reality Show. The people who watched the show bought the record, not Radio listeners who stumbled onto the song. PJ and Duncan got to Number One in the UK a few weeks ago, it was amazing how TV viewers managed to figure out how to download a song from itunes - If only their Irish counterparts could do the same - isn't that right Pat? People who watch Television are very capable of buying music.

You seem to have a chip on your shoulder about how Irish Radio Stations don't give airplay to Irish Artists. While you may have a point in general, it isn't a solid argument for these singers. Their songs were only recorded on Sunday Night. No Radio Station is going to tear up their Playlist at short notice to accommodate these songs. The performers need to go and write their own songs. if they are good enough, they will get the exposure and the sales they deserve.

Now, now -there is no need for that kind of language. I am well aware of the importance of Radio Airplay. But you are deluding yourself if you think there are no occasion where songs can do well in the charts without significant airplay.

Didn't say that... :confused:
    This is the biggest Talent Show in the Country. It is regularly either number one or number two in the TV Ratings. The equivalent of the X Factor in the UK. The winners of that competition don't have any problem getting huge sales in their release week.

Ah, that's the UK. That's not comparing like with like. The UK have a healthy music business where local artists actually get air play and exposure. This is Ireland. We are still feeding off the BBC and Sky for our entertainment. Anything home grown is usually seen as sh*te, mainly because it's Irish.
    Even "Three Lions" broke the Top 10 in Ireland back in 96 :(
    Do you really think if BBC Radio 1 didn't give the winner of that show any airplay it would struggle to break into the UK Top 40?

No. I never said that about BBC Radio 1. Stop twisting my words and actually listen to them before talking bollocks.
    You only need 500 sales most weeks to break into the Irish Top 40. If you can't manage that when you are performing on a show which has over 500,000 viewers then something is wrong.

Certainly is something wrong. Not necessarily something wrong with the quality of release. I wasn't a huge fan of all of the four finalists, but there was at least 1 that was quality.

And it isn't the lack of Radio airplay. Six had the third biggest selling single in Ireland when they were on a Reality Show. The people who watched the show bought the record, not Radio listeners who stumbled onto the song.

Different times. That show was a first for Irish shores. It was a novelty. Everyone was glued. After that, the shows became stagnant, predictable, so people stopped watching them, unless they knew someone on it.
    PJ and Duncan got to Number One in the UK a few weeks ago, it was amazing how TV viewers managed to figure out how to download a song from itunes

Oh, Ant & Dec, Britians most popular TV hosts with millions of viewers each week? Nah, surely not. Imagine the amount of times that clip was shared on Youtube, which refreshed peoples memory, who then went online and bought it.

If only their Irish counterparts could do the same - isn't that right Pat? People who watch Television are very capable of buying music. .

The bog standard Irish music consumer would rather watch British TV than Irish TV.
    You seem to have a chip on your shoulder about how Irish Radio Stations don't give airplay to Irish Artists. While you may have a point in general, it isn't a solid argument for these singers.

Yes, it is.
    Their songs were only recorded on Sunday Night.

No, they weren't. They were recorded in a studio the week before.
    No Radio Station is going to tear up their Playlist at short notice to accommodate these songs./QUOTE]

What? Radio stations change their playlist almost every day.
    The performers need to go and write their own songs. if they are good enough, they will get the exposure and the sales they deserve.

HA! Really? Then why do we see quality Irish musicians falter due to lack of exposure from radio. No one in Irish radio gave a sh*te about Kodaline until BBC playlisted them. No one gave a sh*te about JJ72 until BBC playlisted them. Until Irish media stop piggybacking off the Brits, we are doomed to be just a nation of Geordie Shore watching Man United following Eastenders Obsessed West Brits.

You are clearly only hear to rant about Irish Radio and the Irish Public.

I have given you several examples of Reality Show contestants who have done well in the charts without significant airplay. If you really think JJ72 and Kodaline are comparable to the poor cover versions performed by the Voice of Ireland then you really are missing the point.

500,000 Voice of Ireland Viewers.

Less than 500 sales.

The figures speak for themselves

I am finished arguing with you.

• Advertisement

Clearly? You're off your head mate.

If you really think JJ72 and Kodaline are comparable to the poor cover versions performed by the Voice of Ireland then you really are missing the point.

If you think I was trying compare the talent of Kodaline and JJ72 to Voice of Ireland contestants, than you're the one that's missed the point. I honestly don't think you're reading what I'm saying. No Irish radio station gave a ****e about Kodaline until the BBC playlisted them. How does that sound like I'm comparing talents. You're hearing what you want to hear. :rolleyes:

Less than 500 sales.

Thank christ for that....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

I have given you several examples of Reality Show contestants who have done well in the charts without significant airplay. If you really think JJ72 and Kodaline are comparable to the poor cover versions performed by the Voice of Ireland then you really are missing the point.

Less than 500 sales.

Ironically enough, Kodaline came from Your a Star. Probably the only act that has had success from an Irish show.

It's mostly their own work that paid off for them, it wasn't that show that did it for them anyway.

Kodaline had an Irish number one back in 2007 when they were known as 21 Demands, long before the UK heard of them.

The finalists lack of radio play has nothing to do with them being Irish. It's simply to do with them coming from a crap reality talent show and releasing covers that are far inferior to the originals.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Kelly had a baby boy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

This proves how irrelevant the Voice of Ireland programme is.
    ‘Voice of Ireland’ winner fails to chart in Top 30 chart week after victory

THE Winner of this year’s ‘Voice of Ireland’, Keith Hanley, has failed to chart in the top 30 with his winner’s single.

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/music/voice-of-ireland-winner-fails-to-chart-in-top-30-chart-week-after-victory-29243389.html

• Registered Users Posts: 51,426 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The competition is good t.v. and nothing else.
    Not to be taken seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

The competition is good t.v. and nothing else.
    Not to be taken seriously.

I think that's what it boils down to in the end. Something to fill RTEs schedule for a few months.

Who would seriously buy Keith's single Baggin, in fairness it was pure sh*te

Own up now if you did buy it, we can try and see if ye can get a refund :P

Kelly had a baby boy :)

Michael Bernard weighed 9lbs 8oz

• Advertisement

Michael Bernard weighed 9lbs 8oz
    Congrats to Kelly and Hubby on the birth of Michael Bernard. Thanks, Liz, for that info!

Advertisement