Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

***Match Thread*** TUE APR 30 19:15 WES1 Boards.ie 123.ie

Options
  • 28-04-2013 4:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭

Fourth game, and we need to win to maintain momentum and stay on top.

Another set of unknowns, and it's really too early in the season to be looking at "form" - prior results mean nothing at this stage.

Derek - in
    Cathal - in
    Ciaran - in
    Collie - in
    Damian - in
    Darren - in
    Dave - 50/50
    Gar
    Jules - in
    Keith - in
    Neill - in
    Stephen -
    Wes - in
    Derek Mr - in
    Craig - in
    Liam -
    Paddy - in
    Marsen - in
    Dermo - in

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Lads i know its tough with the early starts but everyone try to be on time

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Played these in another league during the break after our last campaign, this should be a win for us but we need to show up.

See yeas all there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Played these in another league during the break after our last campaign, this should be a win for us but we need to show up.

See yeas all there.

I hate this mentality. There are no "should win" games, and you just know there are lads sitting at their desks in 123.ie reading that and printing it off and sticking it on the dresing room door.

Can I have some cheap insurance please?

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭murtagh

...you just know there are lads sitting at their desks in 123.ie reading that and printing it off and sticking it on the dresing room door.

Maybe they will, but we've had this on our dressing room door all week...

t4QKmQs.png

I used to work for them!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Derek - in
    Cathal - in
    Ciaran - in
    Collie - in
    Damian - in
    Darren - in
    Dave - 50/50
    Gar - in
    Jules - in
    Keith - in
    Neill - in
    Stephen -
    Wes - in
    Derek Mr - in
    Craig - in
    Liam -
    Paddy - in
    Marsen - in
    Dermo - in

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Well, the joke is clearly on us. 1-0 loss.

I won't discuss the ref's decision in a public forum, suffice to say it's the first time in a couple of years I've had serious issues with a decision beyond a spur of the moment reaction.

Now, park that altogether as the reality is 123.ie deserved the win and that's only relevant to how they got it, they could've gotten it a few other ways. And they would've done had it not been for a truly outstanding performance from our keeper, absolutely top notch saves in several cases kept us in the game.

We started sluggishly, the lack of communication and urgency was shocking (with Derek an admirable exception at centre-half throughout), and our midfield didn't function as a unit and our challenges for headers were non-existent.

We improved a lot in the second half and got control of midfield and had the better balance of the play but didn't turn it into enough clearcut chances and put too much in the air - they were flawless in their aerial defence. That said, we played some nice stuff at times and were only inches from excellent moves leading to clearcut chances. So a much improved second half and it was good to see everyone fighting harder and the urgency increasing as the second half went on.

So, that's something to focus on ensuring we replicate right from the off next week. Early days and 9 points from 12 is no catastrophe but there's a few lessons from this game we hopefully will keep with us in future games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

Would agree with all that, especially about our keeper. He didn't just have a great game, he's having a great season. And Derek was immense in defence and was clearly fouled in the build-up to their goal. Nevertheless, 123 definitely deserved the win, they were the better team despite one of their players spending the entire match deliberately fouling us (IMO). So well done to them for the win.

I don't usually say much on here but would just say that I thought we were a little hard on each other last night in the first half. I know things were going wrong and some things needed to be said but I think we play better when we encourage rather than have a go...

Anyway, we're playing well overall this year and I'm sure this was just a blip.

Agree with what's been said, worst performance we put in as a team in the season and a half I've been there.

EVERYTHING was just so hurried, we didn't string 3 passes together in the 1st half, i remember asking the ref how long was left in the 1st half and he said 12 minutes and I thought "FOOK ME" have i actually touched the ball. There was ZERO link up play from back to middle to forwards, midfield got dominated in the 1st half and we got no balls up top.

It was disappointing and I did let the head drop a little, but some of the stuff we were doing was just sooooooo frustrating. I remember screaming for it in the middle with acres of space and clear run in on goal only for people to either play a long hopeful ball up the wing or run into no-mans land themselves.

We were bad last night but blips happen, we've been consistently good now for about 15 games so one terrible performance can creep in but lets leave it at that, no more. I think last night is one of those things you just have to put to the back of the mind and move on, everyone seemed to have a terrible game bar 1/2.

I'll be the 1st to admit I got a slice of humble pie and 123 were well worth the win, shocking decision but we should have been behind before that, great game Liam, yourself and Derek were the only good points.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭mrDerek

the middle with acres of space and clear run in on goal only for people to either play a long hopeful ball up the wing .

i agree the pitch is a hockey pitch we shouldnt be long balling anything especially out to the wings because even if you win the header chances are its going straight out of play because of the surface, everything should be to feet, the full backs should stretch out and receive the ball short 123 did this last night and it killed us also liam in goal should start throwing it out instead of kicking as its very difficult to control a long ball coming at ya at a 100 miles an hour with a big CH climbing all over ya :/

• Advertisement

mrDerek wrote: »
    i agree the pitch is a hockey pitch we shouldnt be long balling anything especially out to the wings because even if you win the header chances are its going straight out of play because of the surface, everything should be to feet, the full backs should stretch out and receive the ball short 123 did this last night and it killed us also liam in goal should start throwing it out instead of kicking as its very difficult to control a long ball coming at ya at a 100 miles an hour with a big CH climbing all over ya :/

I've been screaming for us to play short to full backs, especially when we have the 2 best full backs in the league, quick, skillful and competent on the ball, with 2 passes we can get the ball to a midfielder or a winger and better yet to their feet. instead of kicking the ball out and hoping we win a header and then hope we win the 50/50, it's madness, but apparently playing it short is a no go.......

I can jump all day for headers, end of the day I'm not going to win them, never have never will, why not play to our strengths, we just need to think quicker, throw in's do NOT have to be taken by full backs just do someone if they are on quickly, same with free kicks in and around the centre, no need to pile the box and hoof it in and with goal kicks we should be encouraged to receive short and play quick balls into feet.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

123 did it so well because as a team we sat back. An intelligent team pushes up to cut the short option out and that us normally what we would do but Tuesday seems to have been an exception.

Also in collie and Ciaran we have 2 excellent aerial players, we should not be afraid to send it long and that's not to mention Dave aswell

Wingers etc should be looking for second ball off those lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭mrDerek

123 did it so well because as a team we sat back. An intelligent team pushes up to cut the short option out and that us normally what we would do but Tuesday seems to have been an exception.

Also in collie and Ciaran we have 2 excellent aerial players, we should not be afraid to send it long and that's not to mention Dave aswell

thing is the point i made about the surface is the ball just skips on like im quick enough but combine the surface with how high we push up and theres very little pitch left to catch up with the ball. route one long balls are a legitimate tactic but it doesn't play to our strengths im only new to the team but from what i have seen there is a good number of technically competent players in this team and we need to have more than 1 dimension to our attack.

I wouldn't call a kick out route 1 but I take your point. There is a balance here, if we go short and the other team pushes up it means on kick outs we've probably taken 3 players out of the game which means more space when it's knocked down.

Kick outs and second ball from that is always a % situation. But you won't get away with short kick outs too often if the team you're playing is in anyway decent

Thats a good point, but the point also stands that then the ball drops you rely on 50/50's, of course short is not an option 100% of the time but it's an option a lot of the time and we never use, we shouldn't be afraid to play FOOTBALL Thats what the game is.

You have no idea how frustrating it is when the ball can be rolled out to left or right back or even in some cases to the midfield only for the game to bypass you as a result of winning the header and then you have 10 yards to play with.

Anyway, play football thats my moto...

Advertisement