Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

SPILLED LIQUIDS ON YOUR LAPTOP? DO NOT ATTEMPT TO TURN IT ON BEFORE READING THIS!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

Thanks a mil for your replies! I wasn't going to touch it until Thursday as that's the next time I'm working and I was going to bring it to the crowd who gave me the quote for the diagnostic. What I'm afraid of is that they'd fix it, but it would die at some point in the near future and I'd be out even more money having to just replace it after all! It's a cheap netbook in the grand scheme of things, just not to me unfortunately.:(

I do think it's fecked though...the fact that it disconnected itself from the internet and all the gremlin activity on the screen before I turned it off seems to indicate a good degree of damage.

I didn't even finish that cup of tea...I was too angry with it so just poured it down the sink.:o Very annoyed that I let this happen tbh.

I think I'll wait until my dad gets home, he'll be able to open it up and take out the hard drive for me. I really wouldn't know where to begin.:o He's not a laptop expert, but he takes apart and rebuilds/fixes/makes machines for a living so I'm sure a little netbook will be no bother to him.

Thank god all my college work for the year is submitted already, I'd lose my life if I was still working on essays and other crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

_meehan_ wrote: »
    I didn't even finish that cup of tea...I was too angry with it so just poured it down the sink.:o Very annoyed that I let this happen tbh.
    This is why I only drink vodka while on the laptop ;)

unfortunately not as easy as ones I've worked on.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

_meehan_ wrote: »
    I do think it's fecked though...the fact that it disconnected itself from the internet and all the gremlin activity on the screen before I turned it off seems to indicate a good degree of damage.
    with a lot of luck it would just indicate shorting of keys on the keyboard / trackpad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

with a lot of luck it would just indicate shorting of keys on the keyboard / trackpad

I'll just let it sit and dry and see in a few days! Thanks for all the advice.:) I went looking at similar ones on adverts and donedeal and there's two I'd be interested in should mine be completely nuked, so at least I could replace it a little cheaper than I thought initially.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sparkle_23

Just spilt coffee and my laptop and as I freaked out I remember this thread! Lucky! Didn't spill too much so hope it will be ok

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭turniphead

Hey everybody,

I am an awful eejit. Drowned my laptop in soup yesterday afternoon. Soup of all things! Laptop was wide open and it went everywhere! The entire keypad area was covered. :(

Anyway, I opened it all up and cleaned/dried it as best I could then left it in the hotpress for 30 hours approx.

I have just turned it on and it has booted up fine. Everything seems to be working as normal except for the mouse pad and mouse buttons. Is it possible to replace/fix this part of the computer?

Any opinion/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Cleaning it with Isopropyl alcohol might get it it back working. The underside of it now with the control board. Also make sure the ribbon is seated properly into the motherboard.

If its dead in most laptops its a cheap component. Not a big job replace it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Hey dudes.

I spilled some e-cig juice on my keyboard last weekend.

I dried it up as best I could and turned it off.

Tried it there and non of the keys are responsive and those that are stick and post multiples of the letter.

Long story short, is it fooked?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Hey dudes.

I spilled some e-cig juice on my keyboard last weekend.

I dried it up as best I could and turned it off.

Tried it there and non of the keys are responsive and those that are stick and post multiples of the letter.

Long story short, is it fooked?

What's the laptop? Hard to say, but the keyboard could just be fecked, it might be possible to replace the keyboard/controller.

I'm not familiar with e-cig juice, is it sticky?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

What's the laptop? Hard to say, but the keyboard could just be fecked, it might be possible to replace the keyboard/controller.

I'm not familiar with e-cig juice, is it sticky?

Ya, it's quite viscous alright, I'd liken it to watered down washing up liquid.

It's a HP Pavilion. Someone on another forum reckons he could be able to change the keyboard out for me so I may try that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement