Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chartered Engineer 2016

Comments

budhabob wrote: »
    Hi All,

I plan on submitting my submission in January 2014 as I have too much on this year, so giving myself a decent run in to the submission date.

Can someone give a rough indication of timelines from submission date, to call for interview, to interview, to response?

Its more so just to plan out my timings.

Thanks in advance,

Rob

Hi Rob,

For the January 2013 deadline, my timeframe was as follows:

December 2012 - Report drafting stage. Pull together all training records (can take some time if you haven't been keeping your own records). Draft the essays and the IPD section. Contact your supporters.

End December 2012 (before Christmas break) - Issue first draft of report to supporters for their review.

Early January 2013 - Remind supporters who probably won't have read your report over the Christmas break.

Mid January 2013 - Receive comments from supporters. Amend report. Re-read report. Give report to proof readers (spelling, grammar etc.). Redraft.

End January 2013 (up to deadline day) - Reissue report to supporters for their records, and get them to sign the originals, and drop into Engineers Ireland to formally submit the four versions of the report (one original, 3 copies, all bound). I had one supporter now based in Australia but Engineers Ireland were fine with me sending in a scanned and printed copy of their signed report for the 27th January 2013. I sent in the original signed version when it arrived in the post a few weeks later.

Start February 2013 - Give bottle of something nice to your supporters if Irish based or a package filled with tayto/king/hotlips/wheelies/snax if they are Australia based.

End February 2013 (roughly) - Receive word whether you have been approved for Interview stage.

Interview stage (2013 dates only):

Dublin (to include Dublin, GB, Overseas, North East, Midlands & South East): Various – up until end of June
    Mallow (to include Cork, Thomond and An Riocht): 16 & 17 May 2013
    Galway (to include West and North West): 23 & 24 May 2013
    Belfast (to include Donegal & Northern): 13 & 14 June 2013

Haven't prepared for the Interview stage yet as I haven't received a date of when it will be yet! It's worth stating that the entire drafting/review/supporters comments stage could easily be compressed into less than two weeks (it is only about a 50-60 page report) but my experience was that getting comments back from supporters took the longest. Best to plan a good bit of time for that.

And of course when you're going for Chartership make sure to pay attention to the regulations in case anything changes between now and then.

Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭budhabob

Dónal wrote: »
    Hi Rob,

For the January 2013 deadline, my timeframe was as follows:

December 2012 - Report drafting stage. Pull together all training records (can take some time if you haven't been keeping your own records). Draft the essays and the IPD section. Contact your supporters.

End December 2012 (before Christmas break) - Issue first draft of report to supporters for their review.

Early January 2013 - Remind supporters who probably won't have read your report over the Christmas break.

Mid January 2013 - Receive comments from supporters. Amend report. Re-read report. Give report to proof readers (spelling, grammar etc.). Redraft.

End January 2013 (up to deadline day) - Reissue report to supporters for their records, and get them to sign the originals, and drop into Engineers Ireland to formally submit the four versions of the report (one original, 3 copies, all bound). I had one supporter now based in Australia but Engineers Ireland were fine with me sending in a scanned and printed copy of their signed report for the 27th January 2013. I sent in the original signed version when it arrived in the post a few weeks later.

Start February 2013 - Give bottle of something nice to your supporters if Irish based or a package filled with tayto/king/hotlips/wheelies/snax if they are Australia based.

End February 2013 (roughly) - Receive word whether you have been approved for Interview stage.

Interview stage (2013 dates only):

Dublin (to include Dublin, GB, Overseas, North East, Midlands & South East): Various – up until end of June
    Mallow (to include Cork, Thomond and An Riocht): 16 & 17 May 2013
    Galway (to include West and North West): 23 & 24 May 2013
    Belfast (to include Donegal & Northern): 13 & 14 June 2013

Haven't prepared for the Interview stage yet as I haven't received a date of when it will be yet! It's worth stating that the entire drafting/review/supporters comments stage could easily be compressed into less than two weeks (it is only about a 50-60 page report) but my experience was that getting comments back from supporters took the longest. Best to plan a good bit of time for that.

And of course when you're going for Chartership make sure to pay attention to the regulations in case anything changes between now and then.

Best of luck with it.

Thats for that REALLY detailed response. I greatly appreciate it.

I wasnt aware that the interviews would be so delayed from the report submission. Have my wedding to May 2014 but I'm sure there is plenty of flexibility for those kinds of things.

Thanks Again Dónal.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Thats for that REALLY detailed response. I greatly appreciate it.

I wasnt aware that the interviews would be so delayed from the report submission. Have my wedding to May 2014 but I'm sure there is plenty of flexibility for those kinds of things.

Thanks Again Dónal.

I had to reshedule my interview 3 times.

One down to work
    One down to MSc exams
    One down to holidays

At the forth attempt I got there.

There is another in take in June this year. Maybe see if you can get that

godtabh wrote: »
    I had to reshedule my interview 3 times.

One down to work
    One down to MSc exams
    One down to holidays

At the forth attempt I got there.

There is another in take in June this year. Maybe see if you can get that

I have exams in April and May, so trying to prepare the report between now and then with work etc would be a nightmare and I wouldnt be able to do it justice. I'll start after the exams and target January next year as the deadline.

Thanks again for all the advice.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I did my report while working full time (up to 50 hours aweek at the time), attending college part time and doing MSc exams and heavily involved in a local sports team. It is possible

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

So you have to work four years to apply or is that a recommendation?

What do the professional report + essays + interview involve?

I did my report while working full time (up to 50 hours aweek at the time), attending college part time and doing MSc exams and heavily involved in a local sports team. It is possible

Anything is possible, but two sets of exams for two courses and work....dont see the point in killing myself more than I am already :)

We'll see might get a notion and start into it.....highly doubtful however :D

So you have to work four years to apply or is that a recommendation?

What do the professional report + essays + interview involve?

There's a good bit of information available here: http://www.engineersireland.ie/Membership/Registered-Titles/Chartered.aspx

Essentially you need an accredited degree with Engineers Ireland, 4 ish years experience, a record of your professional development, and you need to be a member of Engineers Ireland. I think you can apply with 3 years & accredited masters, but 4 years + is generally recommended. You also need at least 2 years to be working in a position of significant responsibility either in a team or by yourself. And you need to show how you have met all the competencies in the above link.

The report and the essays are your own experiences and opinions. The essays can be on a variety of themes such as 'Project Management', 'Health and Safety' etc. The interview, which I haven't done yet, is essentially you verbalising your report and your competencies. Can be an hour long, 10 minutes of which you give a presentation.

Full regulations & details are in the above link.

Just read this morning that they are changing the Chartered Engineer regulations for 2014, but people applying in June 2013 and January 2014 shouldn't be effected:

http://www.engineersjournal.ie/important-changes-ahead-for-chartered-engineers/
    WHAT WILL CHANGE?

As a member of Engineers Ireland, it is important to be aware of a number of key changes within the new regulations for the registered professional title of chartered engineer. They are, in summary:

1. Revised competences: The regulations will have revised competences for a chartered engineer to include a deepening of skills within the areas of research and experimenting.

2. Assessment stages to the application process: The formation of a chartered engineer will be assessed in a two-step process, as opposed to one step currently. Applicants for the professional title will firstly submit evidence of their Phase 1 Educational Formation at master’s degree level or equivalent. On notification of their successful completion of Phase 1, they may submit evidence of their Phase 2 – Competence Development. This will be fully detailed in the new regulations.

3. Phase 1 – Educational Formation: Those who have completed an accredited master’s degree in engineering will need to submit their qualification for verification. A number of routes will also be detailed in full for those who have completed other educational formations and wish to have it assessed as equivalent to an accredited master’s degree. This will involve the submission of additional documentation; the regulations will detail both the evidence required and the assessment procedure of the equivalent educational formation. This includes details for those who have completed an accredited bachelor (honours) degree in engineering. There will be four pathway options to provide evidence of educational formation.

4. Phase 2 – Competence Development: The documentation requirements when applying for an assessment of a candidate’s competence development are changing following a review of best practice internationally and feedback from current applicants and peer reviewers. The new requirements involve a new style of writing evidence of competence and will be detailed in full in the new regulations.

5. E-applications: The chartered engineer application process will become an e-process, where applications will be completed and submitted online. Hard copies will be required when the candidate moves to the peer review interview stage.

6. Engineers who graduated pre-2013: If you qualified in 2012 or before from an accredited bachelor of engineering (honours) programme, you hold the educational formation required of a chartered engineer up until 1 January 2021. Under the new regulations, once your qualification has been successfully checked and verified, you will be notified that you have successfully completed your Phase 1 formation and you may proceed to your Phase 2 assessment.

It is important to note that from 1 January 2021, all applicants, regardless of their qualification date, will be required to provide evidence of their achievement of an accredited master’s degree in engineering or equivalent. This includes those who qualified prior to 2013. Therefore, those holding an accredited bachelor (honours) degree, regardless of their graduation date, will be required to provide evidence of their further learning to master’s degree level. This will be defined in full in the new regulations.

7. Existing chartered engineers: As part of their commitment to lifelong learning and the code of conduct as a chartered engineer, it is incumbent on existing chartered engineers to familiarise themselves with the new regulations to fully understand the competences required of them.

8. As an interviewer and assessor: After the launch of the new regulations in September 2013, Engineers Ireland will be embarking on a schedule of briefing sessions to inform all of our peer review interviewers of the changes to the process. All interviewers will be re-briefed in advance of the acceptance of the first applications under the new regulations.

9. Membership of Engineers Ireland: Applicants will be required to be full members of Engineers Ireland at least three months in advance of applying for the professional title of chartered engineer.

NEW REGULATIONS

The new regulations will be launched in September 2013. It is expected the first applications will be received under the new regulations in the summer of 2014, but this will be confirmed when the new regulations are launched. In the meantime, applications will continue to be accepted under the current regulations for the June 2013 and January 2014 deadlines.

Anything is possible, but two sets of exams for two courses and work....dont see the point in killing myself more than I am already :)

We'll see might get a notion and start into it.....highly doubtful however :D

This is turning into a pissing contest. I had 6 exams!

In all seriousness the question that should be asked is do you meet the competences of a chartered engineer. If the answer is yes then start preparing your report. There is a lot to remember

• Registered Users Posts: 10 lolly2345

You arent sure to pass once you've been asked to interview. If you can demonstrate that what you have written in your report is actually your experience and you can verbalise it you should be fine.

I'm doing interview prep with a few clients and something that has come up with nearly all of them. They are getting cocky

I don't think I'm sure to pass, I have just found that people suggest if you're called for interview you'll be grand! I don't think there is any danger of me being cocky, my downfall has always been that I don't sell myself well in these situations, so I'm planning to do plenty of prep.

Anyone got any tips on the type of questions they ask in the interview just to give me a taster?!

• Advertisement

they'll ask you questions based on your report. What was your design approach to a project. Why did you choose that approach over another. WHo did you manage the approach. Its all based on your report

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Your Engineering Practice Report has now been assessed and we are pleased to inform you that you have been approved to progress to the Professional Interview stage of the Review.
    [burns]Excellent...[/burns]
    :)

Hah, there I was working on my presentation for the interview until I decided to re-read the e-mail where it states:
    You will note from the Regulations that the Professional Interview will normally extend to one hour. Candidates will be provided with their interviewers names on the day. The panel give you a brief introduction into their background. As an introduction to the Professional Interview you will be invited to speak about your career for 10 minutes. You may use brief notes but not read from a prepared statement. An overhead projector will not be available.

Well that's a lot of time wasted! :pac:. For some reason I always had it in my head that there was going to be a presentation (i.e. using powerpoint) as opposed to an interview (yes, I know, that's what it's actually called)! Don't know how I came up with that, it's pretty clear.

Who needs a projector? Bring a netbook and hit F5 :D

I like the way they specify that an overhead project is not available but it doesn't state that you can't bring one with you.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

They're gonna get you with one of dem desk projectors.

Must... stop... looking at technology that I can buy...

All done! Definitely an interesting interview.

Sparks wrote: »
    Muust bring this around for emergcy presentations
    http://www.samsung.com/global/microsite/galaxybeam/ :D

Hope it goes well for you!

• Advertisement

How did it go?

A lad I was helping said his was more of a chat as the interview panel didnt have the same background as him. I reckon it went grand he'll just have to see.

Still waiting for the call for mine - I'm guessing they don't have a huge panel of software engineers to call on for evaluators :D

How did it go?

A lad I was helping said his was more of a chat as the interview panel didnt have the same background as him. I reckon it went grand he'll just have to see.

Yeah went well I think! Had a bit of a laugh too with them at the end. The hour went very quickly.

A good tell of how it went is in the questions they ask. If the ask the same question over and over (but in different ways) you havent answered they way they want it. Thats not a good sign.

A good tell of how it went is in the questions they ask. If the ask the same question over and over (but in different ways) you havent answered they way they want it. Thats not a good sign.

That happened maybe once or twice that a question was asked more than once. Either way it's done now!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,035 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Guys, what are your backgrounds? I got CEng a few years ago from them and I'm a Software Engineer. I was told that they were ramping up the activities and output from the Software Division. It seems to be getting there very very slowly.

Software engineer myself as well.

Guys, what are your backgrounds? I got CEng a few years ago from them and I'm a Software Engineer. I was told that they were ramping up the activities and output from the Software Division. It seems to be getting there very very slowly.

The Computing division committee has been, relatively speaking, more active over the last couple of years. They have a few lads trying to push things.

I'm a civil engineer

I've, eh, a mixed background. Qualified civil/structural, worked mainly in consultancy, then worked in operation & maintenance and am now working in manufacturing/pharma.

• Advertisement

So the Board are meeting tonight to decide and we should know within five working days. The waiting game starts!

Advertisement