Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Paramedic Qualification Abroad?

• 15-04-2013 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hey there,

Does anybody know how the Irish Paramedic Qualification compares to those of other countries? Ie, the UK, USA, Canada, Australia etc?
    My main questions are:

1) If you are a qualified Paramedic in Ireland, does the qualification transfer over, or are there programmes in place to upskill to the level of other countries.

2) I hear that it is equivalent to the IIHD Technician in the UK, does anyone know if this is true?

3) Can you work in the USA as an EMT-B?

4) Can you work in any other country without completely re-starting training again?

Any info regarding this would be of great help, it's hard to find the information on how qualifications transfer over!

Thanks,
    Banjo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Kessalia

Hey,

I'm sorry I cannot answer your question but I have one which slightly relates and I did not want to start another thread, and as you said it is very hard to find information on how things transfer.

Is the paramedic apprenticeship "Rettungsassistent" in Germany equivalent to the Irish Emergency Medical Technician, the Paramedic or the Advanced Paramedic? So could one do the same job in Ireland as in Germany or is it a lower or higher qualification?

Answers would be great, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭BoonDoc

Going to the United States I would guess that the PHECC Paramedic would get you an EMT-B. It would depend from state to state.

There is zero chance of getting anything higher than that since the EMT-I has cannulation skills and more pharmacology.

The PHECC Paramedic will have a lot more education but not at a higher level.

The NREMT Basic can be earned in 110 hours. The EMT Intermediate can added to that in two weeks of classroom training. Even the NREMT Paramedic can be earned in 16 weeks if you do seven days a week. That would give you skills greater than the AP level here.

Skills are separate from education. The AP has four years of training (2 years paramedic, 2 years AP). It is unfair to compare the AP and the EMTP even though the NREMT-P has 60 drugs at her disposal, can sync and pace, and some have thrombolytics.

If you are interested in leaving Ireland with your PHECC Paramedic how about upskilling to the NREMT or the HCPC? You will get a much better paying job.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Banjoshane

Thanks BoonDoc!

I'm just confused, don't know whether to follow the HSE path or the HCPC path to Paramedic! I was just wondering that if you have an Irish Paramedic Qualification are you not able to work anywhere else! I am currently a PHECC EMT looking for Paramedic training.

I got called back to resit an assessment I failed for Student Paramedic, I'm so broke due to travelling to the UK for interviews that I don't know whether to go back to resit it over or try my luck with the HSE Student Paramedic!
    So I'm trying to gather information from different sources and weigh up the pros and cons, and what kind of a qualification I will have at the end of it all and will it be transferable.

Are you an Irish Paramedic yourself BoonDoc?

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Zuppy

This question you could ask PHECC directly as all EU qualifications are usually transferable due to the free movement of the work force and someone is bound to have asked already.

I would assume the RA is somewhere on a par with the paramedic since the training is similar but they might ask you to do a bit of further training as the legal side is different and your liabilities too.

Kessalia wrote: »
    Hey,

I'm sorry I cannot answer your question but I have one which slightly relates and I did not want to start another thread, and as you said it is very hard to find information on how things transfer.

Is the paramedic apprenticeship "Rettungsassistent" in Germany equivalent to the Irish Emergency Medical Technician, the Paramedic or the Advanced Paramedic? So could one do the same job in Ireland as in Germany or is it a lower or higher qualification?

Answers would be great, thanks!

Banjoshane wrote: »
    Thanks BoonDoc!

I'm just confused, don't know whether to follow the HSE path or the HCPC path to Paramedic! I was just wondering that if you have an Irish Paramedic Qualification are you not able to work anywhere else! I am currently a PHECC EMT looking for Paramedic training.

If you are a UK paramedic you will be higher qualified and have access to more jobs outside of Ireland. The PHECC paramedic is the lowest level of paramedic found internationally. Everywhere else has their paramedics able to cannulate, intubate and do cardiac skills.

There are more openings for student paramedic in the UK than Ireland. You will be waiting a long time here before you can get into the HSE system. You will be competing against 1000+ EMTs who have been promised jobs during their course.

It makes more sense to gain a paramedic qualification that is valid outside of Ireland. You can always apply for reciprocity.

• Advertisement

I know what you mean BoonDoc, but how long would you have to work in the UK to gain the Advanced Paramedic level in Ireland? Would you be away from home for 5/6 years? I'd be delighted to train and work as a Paramedic anywhere really!

Also I've heard in a lot of areas of a lack of Paramedics in Ireland, one incident where a Garda had to drive the ambulance to the hospital.... can you ever see a Paramedic and EMT be a crew on a HSE emergency ambulance? The EMT would obviously be on a lower wage and so save the HSE money? Just thinking aloud....

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭raytaxi

Phecc requirements at the moment is two paramedics on 999 ambulance, management would love the idea of emt on ambulance at lower rate. Thats what the uk has done in places i believe, BUT the emt would end up being the driver for most calls i do believe. Therefore they may try and push foe an even lower level like the uk and hence save even more money on wages.

Yeh the EMT could be the driver for the calls, after taking the blue light driving course.
    That way, there'd be less money to pay out for the HSE, and EMT's in Ireland would have more of an opportunity to work and gain frontline experience as well.

Again just thinking aloud, I'm sure there's lots of things to be considered.
    It's hard for EMT's in Ireland to get work at the minute!

This works well in the United States. The EMT drives for half of the calls since many 999 calls are BLS only. It gives the paramedic a break while driving.

I wonder how many BLS calls the PHECC paramedic could turf off to the EMT? Sprained ankles, minor RTAs, OMD (old man disease), and plenty more calls can be handled by the PHECC EMT.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭stevie06

raytaxi wrote: »
    Phecc requirements at the moment is two paramedics on 999 ambulance, management would love the idea of emt on ambulance at lower rate. Thats what the uk has done in places i believe, BUT the emt would end up being the driver for most calls i do believe. Therefore they may try and push foe an even lower level like the uk and hence save even more money on wages.

What many people will be surprised to hear, but it is true, an EMT starts on the same money as a new entrant Parmedic, so they wouldn't save anything really.

That is prob why it won't happen, more likely to happen is a situation where there will be an AP/Para crew maybe not on every ambulance but certainly the majority.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭raytaxi

Its true that all staff are called EMT there is no grade of paramedic in the National Ambulance service, but was under the impression that the EMT that were recruited for the ICV posts were/ are on less money than the EMT's (Paramedic level) open to correction though :-) it's the same for AP's its an allowance not pay grade :-). I do believe that they don't get shift or sundays but that is also open to correction as well.
    Must chef

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Juanito13

Depends where in the country your based. ICO's in the northwest, work every second weekend, Galway just do Monday-Friday. Not sure about anywhere else. Starting money for ICO's and newly recruited paramedics is roughly the same.

Ah right didn't know that! Just thinking of more ways EMT's in Ireland could get work, as it's hard to get into the privates at the moment!

Also, can an EMT get an unpaid placement with the HSE on an emergency ambulance?
    Just for some frontline experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭paraletic

Banjoshane wrote: »
    Also, can an EMT get an unpaid placement with the HSE on an emergency ambulance?
    Just for some frontline experience!

the hse have a policy for "Experiential Placements/Observers"

http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/list/3/nas/rptspoliciesandprocedures/Experiential_Placements_Observers.pdf

contact your local ambulance training officer.
    hope it helps

That's great paraletic thanks for the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭medicman

Does anyone here know how difficult is it to apply for the HCPC in the UK? anyone completed the process? I have looked up the international registration form and its a long and complicated form. Lots of info that might be difficult to gain as I do not wish my HSE employer to know I am registering abroad and it looks for their info on the form.

Tks.
    M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

medicman wrote: »
    Does anyone here know how difficult is it to apply for the HCPC in the UK? anyone completed the process? I have looked up the international registration form and its a long and complicated form. Lots of info that might be difficult to gain as I do not wish my HSE employer to know I am registering abroad and it looks for their info on the form.

Tks.
    M
    Why don't you wait it out and go for UCD course

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=88582804

D Trent wrote: »
    Why don't you wait it out and go for UCD course

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=88582804

You can't compare the UCD course to the FdSc in the UK. One is four years long and ends up with a non ALS Paramedic.

The other one is two years long and you end up as a proper paramedic.

Save your time and money and skip the Irish Paramedic and go for the UK Paramedic. Outside of Ireland the PHECC Paramedic is an EMT.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭medicman

BoonDoc wrote: »
    You can't compare the UCD course to the FdSc in the UK. One is four years long and ends up with a non ALS Paramedic.

The other one is two years long and you end up as a proper paramedic.

Save your time and money and skip the Irish Paramedic and go for the UK Paramedic. Outside of Ireland the PHECC Paramedic is an EMT.

I'm an AP here, know its not as good as other countries, but might give me a head start somewhere other than here.

• Advertisement
Advertisement