Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***Match Thread*** TUE APR 23 20:15 WES1 Boards.ie Drakesville Utd

• 19-04-2013 5:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭

Third game, and another good performance and big squad needed for this one.

Derek
    Cathal
    Ciaran
    Collie
    Damian
    Darren -
    Dave
    Gar
    Jules -
    Keith-
    Neill
    Stephen -
    Wes -
    Derek Mr -
    Craig-
    Chris-
    Liam -
    Paddy -
    Marsen -
    Dermo -

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭mrDerek

Ill be there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

mrDerek wrote: »
    Ill be there

Pick you up at 715

grand :) traffic might be a bit bollox at that time, the purple furniture store to the left of the lights, i could meet you there if you want saves you having to queue at the worst lights in dublin when its busy?

+

lets play like the last 2weeks, best attackin team in the league so far

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,637 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Another unknown on Tuesday.

However while we are banging in the goals we cannot be complacent.
    The bigger the ego the bigger the drop.

Lets be confident and play like the last 2 weeks, we have the players to win this game so lets get out and do it.

Derek - in
    Cathal - in
    Ciaran - in
    Collie - in
    Damian - in
    Darren - in
    Dave - in
    Gar - in
    Jules - in
    Keith - in
    Neill - in
    Stephen - inj
    Wes - in
    Derek Mr - in
    Craig - in
    Liam - in
    Paddy - in
    Marsen - in
    Dermo - in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

count me in

• Registered Users Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Another unknown on Tuesday.

However while we are banging in the goals we cannot be complacent.
    The bigger the ego the bigger the drop.

Lets be confident and play like the last 2 weeks, we have the players to win this game so lets get out and do it.

Watch them for 30 mins last week, not much going forward but they are not a bad team, they pass well and try and play football.

They drew with cork exiles last week who as we know are a good team, need another big performance tonight.

See you all there.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭murtagh

We've had a very strong start to the season and need to continue that form tonight. We cannot afford to be complacent, as those who've played for a few seasons know, we can very easily get stung by teams who might not have had strong results in their opening games.
    Many times we have been the team with a slow start who've gelled a couple of games in and ground out a "surprise" result against a strong starting team.

Lets focus on dominating the game from the start tonight, and maintaining that control throughout the second half.

With the high turnout we know there'll be changes at half time and throughout the second half. We should maximise that advantage by playing a high-tempo game.

See you all there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

2-1 win.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,637 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Yeah a good win in a tough game.
    We could have been 3 or 4 up in the first half but the ball didnt fall right and then went a goal behind.

From there the urgency kicked in and we went 2-1 up with both from Jules.
    But we closed the game out well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Good win last night boys, sorry about the sending off, (Ref wanted to even it up, I did NOTHING i tell ye :) )

On a side note, they were not bad, fit enough and pushed us until the end, however it was only as a result of us not putting away the chances we had we should have been out of sight in the 1st 15.

Some good results last night with others drawing we've opened up a 2 point gap at the top of the league.

Lets push on now and notch a good few wins up whilst we have a good squad as we will lose some bodies come summer and that lead will prove to be vital.

That was hard work, but we got through it well enough, restricting a strong opposition to nothing shots after their goal.

A goal we gifted them, we had 5 (FIVE!) players in or around the ball from when it broke from halfway, and none of us cleared it. It was fairly obvious what was happening, and nobody took a decision to deal with it effectively, and it cost us. It was not one of these breakaway, one-on-one goals that we think we may concede from time to time because of our high pressing game, it was a silly goal to concede. We need to take a lesson there.

We also need to be more ruthless with our chances, that is going to bite us sooner rather than later.

Heads didn't drop though, and we got back into it pretty well. I'm taking as assist for the second goal, Damo knows why :pac:

Second half was a bit strange, and apologies to those who didn't get on, it's harder to make changes in a tight game like that, we DO have games coming up where we'll need everyone possible to turn up.

Good win lads, 9 points from 9 is a great start

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Good points there lads.

We could've been more composed at times, both in pass selection, and in finishing chances. But the key thing is we didn't go to the opposite end of that spectrum either - we didn't lose the rag with ourselves or each other. That patience reflects the confidence we have that we know we've got what we need to get results in every game if we play to our passing game to our ability and leverage our squad effectively.

Though we should've finished chances better so as not to be relying on a bit of luck for the equaliser, the key takeaway from me is that our emphasis on playing the ball wide almost every time is a key reason we our number of clearcut chances does not tend to rise in proportion to our possession. It seems we play the ball wide by default at times without actively looking to see if there's a ball to feet or into the channels on.

There were several times last night where we disposed them in their own half and had them on the back foot but then we shifted it too horizontally and that only served to give them extra time to get a man back goalside of the ball: that just takes momentum out of the attack unnecessarily and means we have to beat the defence when it's properly organised as opposed to punishing them by being more direct once we have them on the back foot. We're great at keeping possession, but we need to focus more on penetration. Doesn't mean every attack goes central early, just means we consciously lookup and ask if going wide or central is the right move.

That said, some of the moves we did play at times were exquisite, lovely team passing movements that came very close to ending in fantastic goals. So no major change is needed, just a little tweak to hit them harder when we have an overlap rather than shifting it wide and allowing them to reset.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

Heads didn't drop though, and we got back into it pretty well. I'm taking as assist for the second goal, Damo knows why :pac:

Yeah, first class managing that...:rolleyes:

Didn't have a great game myself - a few loose passes, one really bad one to Jules in the second half.
    Great win though - that was the type of game we were dropping points in last year.

Damo you played well, if you were 100% accurate you'd be in the premier league!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

Damo you played well, if you were 100% accurate you'd be in the premier league!

That's the dream alright. Hopefully i bring my A game when the English scouts are over to watch us...

a good win and great start to the league, we played some sterling stuff and am delighted with our fightback and reistance to hold on to the win,
    However... the goal we conceded was very poor the manager was right too many players fell asleep for that one :/
    Wasnt happy with my own performance either beat two guys and missed a sitter (again!!) but iv been managing an achilles injury the since the start of the season which has slowed my down considerably, havent been able to twist and turn properly at all but hopefully ill be fine soon.
    Also my one request of the team is to look to the left i know the midfield lads are naturally right footed so will switch the play to the right but many a time iv had acres of space and jules even noted and mentioned it to me himself that the supply out my side was pretty non existent not in those words obviously but take that extra half second on the ball and you will see me in a lot of space and if its not me its the left back whos pretty decent

@ Derek
    MyLeftFoot.jpg

Use it!

surely it cant be that bad :pac:

haha ya bastard :P

Gotta stop using the net while drinking

• Advertisement
Advertisement