Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BBC iPlayer

12345679»

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I'd also appreciate a PM, please! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Gaz

Yes, do tell :)

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Belfunk

me too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭funnyname

Also pm me if you wouldn't mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭bonkers

me also cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭ccazza

Me too please!

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Dhenalau

Using last version of Hola! Unblocker (1.0.216) and Firefox and no trouble with BBC iPlayer :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

vibe666 wrote: »
    i've stopped using them entirely and now use a combination of a paid for (for €29.99 a year unlimited usage) VPN service (which works flawlessly all the time) and an open source application to pull down streams directly to watch offline at my leisure. :)

unfortunately i'm not sure if boards.ie would allow me to go into any more detail here as i'm not 100% entirely sure how legal it it. :o
    Throw it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Austin1

i've stopped using them entirely and now use a combination of a paid for (for €29.99 a year unlimited usage) VPN service (which works flawlessly all the time) and an open source application to pull down streams directly to watch offline at my leisure. :)

unfortunately i'm not sure if boards.ie would allow me to go into any more detail here as i'm not 100% entirely sure how legal it it. :o

I'd appreciate a pm too with the details of these two services - cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭dixierip

Hola no longer seems to works for bbc I player

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

dixierip wrote: »
    Hola no longer seems to works for bbc I player

Devs will have to rename it 'Adios'

• Registered Users Posts: 14,716 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I've found the "Media Hint" plugin for FF and Chrome fairly reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

just noticed a few requests for info, but not sure who i have and haven't sent stuff to yet, so please send me on a PM if you still need it?

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭dixierip

just noticed a few requests for info, but not sure who i have and haven't sent stuff to yet, so please send me on a PM if you still need it?

Could you pm me please ?

dixierip wrote: »
    Could you pm me please ?
    yes, but i don't check the thread very often, so if people can send ME a PM i can reply to it and then i know who i've already sent it on to.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭briany

Using Media Hint here as well. Runs flawlessly so far although I expect that to change as the BBC patch whatever exploit it employs or a specific range of IPs are blocked. Can't seem to find much on the specifics of how it works though. There's always anonymox as well which, although I don't fully trust it, is a back up in the case of being stuck. There's always the option to run a browser through Tor configured to use exit nodes in a specific country. You could set up an instance of the browser bundle for each country. Finicky but a back up of back ups and one that could never be blocked with 100 percent effectiveness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭db

I haven't seen it mentioned on the thread so far - if you park outside Tesco and use their wifi you can use the BBC iPlayer. The Tesco network is obviously routed through the UK and you will be assigned a UK IP address. You just need your Clubcard number to access the Tesco wifi network. This also works for any other service that requires a UK IP address.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

db wrote: »
    I haven't seen it mentioned on the thread so far - if you park outside Tesco and use their wifi you can use the BBC iPlayer. The Tesco network is obviously routed through the UK and you will be assigned a UK IP address. You just need your Clubcard number to access the Tesco wifi network. This also works for any other service that requires a UK IP address.

Probably a bit too much effort for most :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭db

Probably a bit too much effort for most :P

Not when you're waiting for your wife to do the shopping:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,716 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

briany wrote: »
    Using Media Hint here as well. Runs flawlessly so far although I expect that to change as the BBC patch whatever exploit it employs or a specific range of IPs are blocked. Can't seem to find much on the specifics of how it works though.

it installs a auto-configuration PAC file in your browser settings, this has a set of rules in it for directing traffic for specific domains (eg bbc.co.uk) to specific proxies. If the BBC block one proxy the PAC file gets updated with new proxies. Works for Hulu, Netflix etc as well.

How long the Media Hint guys can continue to provide it for free though, I don't know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭briany

loyatemu wrote: »
    it installs a auto-configuration PAC file in your browser settings, this has a set of rules in it for directing traffic for specific domains (eg bbc.co.uk) to specific proxies. If the BBC block one proxy the PAC file gets updated with new proxies. Works for Hulu, Netflix etc as well.

How long the Media Hint guys can continue to provide it for free though, I don't know.

So basically they're going to play whac a mole. Nice. Does that mean that I'll be OK leaving the extension enabled all the time? Should be good with that extension for a while unless BBC take radical measures or the Media Hint people start charging, in which case they become like a multitude of other paid proxies and VPNs etc.

just as an FYI, anyone looking to go my route with the paid for VPN service, i just got an email from the crowd I use saying they're doing a buy one (year) get one free on their unlimited premium services if anyone fancies a good deal.

i've been using mine a few months now and it's so far worked flawlessly, not had a single problem aside from one bit of (scheduled) downtime for about an hour one time in the middle of the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭moonboy52

just as an FYI

Thanks for the heads up vibe. I cannot see the offer on their website though.

i see €29.99 for 1 year

looks like it's a coupon offer in my email, but i can't see where to put the coupon directly on the site, seems like they want you to follow a specific link and i don't think i'd be allowed to post the link here.

if you can find where to put it on the website, the coupon is 5AW-VPB-LLX otherwise just send me a PM and i'll pass it on. i think it's good to the end of april.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

irishgeo wrote: »
    a pm is allowded though.:D

Really appreciate a PM.

Any recommendations for a VPN?Expat Shield does not work with Windows 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

I've started using tunlr.net after several years of VPN as sooner or later the VPN's slow down, particularly in the afternoons and evenings. Nothing worse than trying to watch a program and it won't stop buffering.

Tunlr gives you fill broadband speed and no need to connect to anything and it's completely free. BBC, ITV, Hulu all work fine.

The only drawback it that it doesn't work on the BBC live streams, only iplayer.

Any chance of a PM re this?

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Simon201

For Mac users the 2nd post here describes using Media Hint for your system wide settings, which means that you can also use the BBC iplayer desktop to download for later viewing etc. (I take it there must be a way of making windows work this way as well)

doh forgot to put the link

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1563153

• Advertisement
Advertisement