Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help identifying plants

• 13-04-2013 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi everyone,

I just recently started cleaning up an old garden and have come across a few plants which I can't identify. I started going through the RHS website but it was getting like a needle in a haystack. I'm hoping someone on here may be able to identify the plants and let me know what they are.

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭Oldtree

167 is a mahonia
    164 looks like lavender or rosemary or maby carnation
    know the others to see but cant remember names

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

165 is a Spirea I think
    166 looks like an escallonia - could be Gold Brian or the plant could just be hungry/wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

Previous Posters ID them.

mahonia aquifolium

Escallonia ? with a leaf spot Problem, I'd Hard prune and remove/destroy the infected stems.

Spirea Japonica ?

Lavender ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Z4bimmer

Thanks everyone for your help. Pic 166 (the plant with the leaf spot problem) got heavily damaged with the snow a couple of years ago and completely died off. Last year when I started the big clean up of the garden I was going to replace the dead stems but noticed that there was fresh growth coming from the base. I cut the dead wood back to ground level and the picture reflects how it looks now a year on.

Jezko - could the leaf spot be related to the hard time this plant has had and would I be better replacing them or would the hard prune with some mulch/feeding pull it out of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Ring Prince Charles and get him to ask them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Bixy

Regarding the Escallonia I would remove it due to the blackspot. Nearly all the Escallonia hedges around us in coastal north Dublin are badly damaged. While new leaves appear in Spring, they look gappy and bare by mid summer and no longer form an effective screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭rje66

Z4bimmer wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I just recently started cleaning up an old garden and have come across a few plants which I can't identify. I started going through the RHS website but it was getting like a needle in a haystack. I'm hoping someone on here may be able to identify the plants and let me know what they are.

Thanks,
    Mahonia
    Escallonia
    Spireae
    Curry plant-helichrysum

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

Helichrysum italicum ? Possible ...

OP can you say if you ever saw a yellow Flower on this Plant mid summer (I think)
    And when you crush the leaves what do you smell Lavender ?
    What does Helichrysum smell like Don't have this plant at home so can't place the scent... Or is it like Curry :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Bixy

I have been wracking my brains about image 164 as well. I have it in the garden and used to know its name! It wil come to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Quester

164 might be Santolina?

• Advertisement
Advertisement