Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Aldi and Lidl

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

JPA wrote: »
    Are people still talking about ALDI and LIDL like there's something mysterious and dodgy about them?!

I work with a girl who won't eat food from either place. If she's eating something and enjoying it, and someone informs her it's from either, she stop eating whatever it is straight away. :confused:

Your opinion is ****e.

You'd swear Aldi was a back street stall dealer. Aldi,and Lidl, have thousands of stores in Germany, let alone then rest of Europe, and Ireland.

Their 'own brand'....well, almost everything bar fresh meat, is miles ahead of the likes of Tesco or Dunnes.

I don't shop in Aldi/Lidl that much - but to be fair, aside from meat, at the same price point, their produce destroys tesco, dunnes, and whatever other retailers are out there.

Both Aldi and Lidl are huge - and I mean HUGE - companies on par or exceeding Tesco. I love how people, often without having even shopped in either place, dismiss them like they were some discount local pound shop offloading food several months out of date.

I shop in Aldi, Lidl and Tesco and TBH, I don't think their produce is that much better than Tesco. But they're cheaper, which is good. But all supermarkets have good and bad items. It's popular to complain about Tesco though.

SamHall wrote: »
    They need serviced, operated costs associated with them, tended to by staff, and I'm sure not everyone uses them honestly.

I've wondered about this. If someone doesn't scan something and then puts it in the bagging area, would it not be picked up on? Like that there's extra weight there that shouldn't be?

Shenshen wrote: »
    That and the fact that the checkouts are really, really fast, and that they've a sensible, large, unrushed packing area.
    I can't begin to describe how much I hate and despise that about Tescos and Dunnes.

Really? I find Lidl and Aldi FAR worse in this regard! Very "Give me the money and get the fúck out".

Stojkovic wrote: »
    I have never in my life and never will set foot inside a Tesco.

Aldi/Lidl all the way and the money I save I treat myself in M&S.

OK, but you do realise M&S is ridiculously overpriced for the quality you get, right?

• Advertisement

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    For example, last Saturday I found fennel in Lidl and it was the first time I saw them in Ireland, even the fruit and vegetables stall in the English Market doesn't usually have them.

Are you joking? You can get fennel loads of places, including supermarkets.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

some great stuff to be found in them that you just don't find elsewhere,lots of different hams,polish sausages lots of cheeses both Irish and European,whole lobsters for a fiver etc.great beers too,the spirits are also a great bargain Aldi are selling bourbon for 15quid a bottle and its tasty stuff.bad points would be long queues and no baskets but that's only minor considering how much can be saved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Harvest Morn maple and pecan cereal from Aldi is lovely. You can get a two kilo bag of carrots for about €1.90 that are far nicer than the bag they have in Tesco for well over €2.00. There's the odd bargain like a kilo of pasta for 94 cent.

Apart from that there's not much variety. It's great for chocolate and crisps but if you give up eating rubbish and want healthy food there's not much there, at least in the one in Carlow. I keep seeing people here making comments about how you can get great fruit and vegetables in Aldi, but apart from the aforementioned cheap carrots I can't see any decent fruit or vegetables there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Those chocolate chip cookies they have are the nicest I have ever had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Really? I find Lidl and Aldi FAR worse in this regard! Very "Give me the money and get the fúck out".

What do you want instead? It's a supermarket, not Brown Thomas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I prefer that,who wants to hang around by the tills anyway.You should visit my local Dunnes,you'll actually visibly age while waiting at the tills.

Aldi & Lidl are starting to sell Spring bedding plants etc. this week,time to stock up as they are far cheaper than anywhere else.

The only thing I don't like is the fact that none of the staff ever water any of the plants,they die from thirst & are thrown out.A complete waste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Shenshen wrote: »
    That and the fact that the checkouts are really, really fast, and that they've a sensible, large, unrushed packing area.
    I can't begin to describe how much I hate and despise that about Tescos and Dunnes.

Jasus, the ones I've been to certainly haven't been fast. They're usually as slow as a mid-summers evening. They spend so much time waiting for assistance. In fact, its the thing I dislike most about them.
    I've wondered about this. If someone doesn't scan something and then puts it in the bagging area, would it not be picked up on? Like that there's extra weight there that shouldn't be?

I've actually done that before by accident. I had two bars of fruit n' nut; one on top of the other. I put both through the scanner, not realising it had only scanned the bottom bar. I only noticed it later when I checked my receipt and saw I had only paid for the one bar. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Chronic Button

anytime I've been behind someone who has a trolley full of stuff they always let me jump ahead of them, I would have thought most people would do this.

Every single time I do a big trolley shop, I allow the poor bloke buying 4 beers / 2 steaks go ahead of me. Sometimes I allow 2 or 3 shoppers with very few items to skip.

However, never once, ever, in my whole life, has any fûcker with a full trolley ever let me go ahead of them when the situation is reversed.

This makes me despise humanity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Chop Chop

Every single time I do a big trolley shop, I allow the poor bloke buying 4 beers / 2 steaks go ahead of me. Sometimes I allow 2 or 3 shoppers with very few items to skip.

However, never once, ever, in my whole life, has any fûcker with a full trolley ever let me go ahead of them when the situation is reversed.

This makes me despise humanity.

Humans are disgusting creatures. People are generally revolting pigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

Where else can you go and pick up half dozen carrots, a bit of sirloin steak, a wedge of wensleydale and a 500w electric welder all in one go?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 514 ✭✭✭RUSTEDCORE

LIDL certainly consider themselves a big player opening up in Artane across from a tesco that has practically been a landmark of the area as long as I can remember....will be interesting to see if the germans pay up after all this time and help us oust the british.............FREEDOM!!

RUSTEDCORE wrote: »
    LIDL certainly consider themselves a big player opening up in Artane across from a tesco that has practically been a landmark of the area as long as I can remember....will be interesting to see if the germans pay up after all this time and help us oust the british.............FREEDOM!!
    and replace them with the Germans......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 514 ✭✭✭RUSTEDCORE

and replace them with the Germans......

well we agreed to the lisbon treaty...I for 1 keep my word we get the north and we pawn off places like cavan to the germans....

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭joe stodge

RUSTEDCORE wrote: »
    about time too, the Tesco up there is dirt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Chop Chop wrote: »
    Ha ha, you haven't a clue, it all comes from the same place, the contracts differ that's all..

Enjoy dreaming.
    Jesus, you don't take criticism of Lidl very well. I think the fruit and veg they sell is crap, regardless of who supplies them. I'm perfectly entitled to my opinion and if you don't like it then thats just too bad.:D

• Advertisement

Jesus, you don't take criticism of Lidl very well. I think the fruit and veg they sell is crap, regardless of who supplies them. I'm perfectly entitled to my opinion and if you don't like it then thats just too bad.:D

Not at all, it didn't mean to sound that way, my point was that it all comes from the same supplier. I just don't understand this "it tastes different" crap. It's the same as Dunnes, Super value and Tesco. Unless you don't like theirs either. Well then that's different.

joe stodge wrote: »
    about time too, the Tesco up there is dirt.
    nothing like a bit of competition to make 'em clean up their act!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Not at all, it didn't mean to sound that way, my point was that it all comes from the same supplier. I just don't understand this "it tastes different" crap. It's the same as Dunnes, Super value and Tesco. Unless you don't like theirs either. Well then that's different.

And i don't understand the "it all comes for the same supplier crap", that's also a load of ****e because the ingredients they use are not of the same quality.

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    And i don't understand the "it all comes for the same supplier crap", that's also a load of ****e because the ingredients they use are not of the same quality.

Absolute tosh.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭joe stodge

Absolute tosh.

It's true Lidl used ollhuasans for their sausages, rashers and other bacon products so did Tesco, dunnes and super value and its the same for nearly every other product in the shop, it's all rebranded.

The majority of fools seem to think the name makes a difference. It's all from the same place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

I've worked in food manufacturing for a long time and I've seen first hand.

Yes it comes from the same supplier (sometimes its even shipped in from abroad and then supplied as Irish) but what goes into it is not the same as what would go in to their premium brands.

When a company makes branded products, fair enough most stuff that goes into the product is dirt anyway, but when they make own brand products for the cheaper shops, the ingredients are of lesser quality and usually the dregs of the first run of the premium brand.

I don't give a **** about brands myself, if it tastes good i'll eat it.

But if you believe that a company makes (we'll say Sausages) puts in the same ingredients as their premium brand as they do for people like Aldi and Lidl and sell them off for a quarter of the price then your sir are mad.

You get what you pay for and the food from these places although sometimes may taste as nice or sometimes even nicer are of always of lesser quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Although all of the supermarkets may share the same fruit and veg suppliers but there is a grading system for fruit and veg. Just because they buy from the same place doesn't mean that the quality will be the same. As I said earlier I find large bags of potatoes from Dunnes to be awful. I've often had to put cooked potatoes from them out for the birds as its turned to mush within 10 minutes of boiling. I've not had that problem with Tesco. It all comes down to the quality of the produce being sold by the retailer.

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    I've worked in food manufacturing for a long time and I've seen first hand.

Yes it comes from the same supplier (sometimes its even shipped in from abroad and then supplied as Irish) but what goes into it is not the same as what would go in to their premium brands.

When a company makes branded products, fair enough most stuff that goes into the product is dirt anyway, but when they make own brand products for the cheaper shops, the ingredients are of lesser quality and usually the dregs of the first run of the premium brand.

I don't give a **** about brands myself, if it tastes good i'll eat it.

But if you believe that a company makes (we'll say Sausages) puts in the same ingredients as their premium brand as they do for people like Aldi and Lidl and sell them off for a quarter of the price then your sir are mad.

You get what you pay for and the food from these places although sometimes may taste as nice or sometimes even nicer are of always of lesser quality.

I could 100% guarantee to you that galtee sausages are of less quality than aldi's own brand... 100% Also the steaks, chickens, Bacon and pork are the very same as what you buy in Dunnes, Tesco and Supervalue. As I said before Jacobs had the contract for their biscuits and crackers. As kellogs do for cereal. There is no change with the ingredients. Aldi pay them a contract to supply and they re-brand it

I am talking about the fresh food not the chopped and shaped rubbish, we all know that's cat.

Although all of the supermarkets may share the same fruit and veg suppliers but there is a grading system for fruit and veg. Just because they buy from the same place doesn't mean that the quality will be the same. As I said earlier I find large bags of potatoes from Dunnes to be awful. I've often had to put cooked potatoes from them out for the birds as its turned to mush within 10 minutes of boiling. I've not had that problem with Tesco. It all comes down to the quality of the produce being sold by the retailer.

That's down to pesticides and genetic modification not the quality, I have had that issue for years myself. It seems to be something that has only cropped up in the last few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Amanda7148

We do our weekly food shopping in Aldi and Iceland every week (80 euro in Aldi and 20 euro in Iceland). We are a family of 4, and apart from small top ups during the week, such as bread and milk, we manage to stick to this budget of 100 quid a week.

I think it is excellent value for money in Aldi, and I love the 'Super 6' they do for fruit and veg. I don't mind that it takes me a little longer to pack my shopping.

The staff at my local Aldi in Bagenalstown are polite and friendly, and although sometimes the queues are very long - they really don't take too long to go down because of their 'rules' on packing your shopping.

Advertisement