Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Reversing and the odometer

• 11-04-2013 6:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭

Random question, but when you reverse does it increase the odometer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Any modern car with an electrically driven speedo will increase the odo reading in reverse.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,381 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

ferris bueller proved that it doesn't work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

But for older cars without electrical speedos etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Put your car up on Bricks and check it out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

The speedometer in my car has stopped working intermittently and the odometer doesnt count the miles when this happens. I'm inadvertantly clocking my own car every day...pity its worth very little!!!

• Advertisement

WIZE wrote: »
    Put your car up on Bricks and check it out

I am sort of tempted to reverse around for a bit to see what happens!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,611 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Vuzuggu wrote: »

You'll get a pain in your neck, that's what'll happen

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Wheelnut

Vuzuggu wrote: »

You will only need to reverse 1/10 of a mile (176 yards) or* 1/10 of a kilometre (100 metres) to see what happens. I think it will increase.

*depends on age of car whether it's got miles or kilometres.

Wheelnut wrote: »
    You will only need to reverse 1/10 of a mile (176 yards) or* 1/10 of a kilometre (100 metres) to see what happens. I think it will increase.

*depends on age of car whether it's got miles or kilometres.

It's a 99 Daewoo with the way they're built I wouldn't be surprised if it rolled back the miles!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭tossy

Make sure she's topped up with reversing fluid before any prolonged reversing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Innov

An odometer will still count while driving in reverse but only slightly. That’s because only a very skilled driver will be able to drive long distances in reverse. As such, the miles counted in your odometer when you are going in reverse form only a tiny part of your car’s total mileage.

Hope this helps :)

8 years later, I doubt anyone cares.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,109 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Well I've been waiting 8 years for the answer, I can sleep alot easier tonight...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

I'm still not convinced it doesn't work

Advertisement