Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Masters 2013

• 09-04-2013 12:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭

I know there is a golf tips thread but with golf it is hard to tip anyone. Also, this competition deserves its own thread! I am salivating with anticipation the first major of the year. Sky Sports have live coverage of all 4 days, BBC of Sat and Sun.

PP are paying 6 places e/w which has lead me to back with them.

Favourite - I strongly fancy Tiger but 4/1 is crap (9/2 Betfair outright not much better). He is overdue a win here, finishing T40, T4, T4, T6, 2, T2, T3 since winning in 2005. Going to wait until after the first round or into the second round before I back (if I back him).

Big chance - Have gone with Poulter 45/1 and Westwood 28/1 so far based on past Masters performances, decent odds and the belief that anything is possible following that victory in Medinah. Poulter 12/1 Top European (e/w 4 places here) is also tickling me.

Can't explain - Cink 150/1 and Choi 80/1

No hoper - T.J. Vogel 1000/1 http://golfweek.com/news/2013/apr/08/masters-2013-getting-know-tj-vogel/
    "I've been working hard for this," Vogel said. "I feel relaxed. My main goal is just to go out there and have as much fun as possible with all my friends and family watching."

One more bet, hopefully this thread will throw it up for me! Snedeker? McDowell? Garcia, finally? In fact he seems to be playing with real purpose this year, and it is the 30th anniversary since Seve's 2nd Masters, for the superstitious among us! Rose? Now up to 3rd in the world, and playing brilliantly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 sypeons

You know that bet pp is offering to pay out on the 6 places you need to put your money on before the tournament starts, you can't wait until a round or two in!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Sergio Garcia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

sypeons wrote: »
    You know that bet pp is offering to pay out on the 6 places you need to put your money on before the tournament starts, you can't wait until a round or two in!

I know, yeah. I think it drops to 4 before the 3rd round. It's only the Tiger bet that will be made after it begins.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Osmago

I put 50 quid aside for The Masters every year, so far i've gone with:

Schwartzel 10euro ew @25/1
    Kuchar 5euro ew @ 33/1
    Harrington 2.50 ew @ 55/1
    Mahan 2.50 ew @ 45/1

All done with PaddyPower cos theya re paying 6 places.

Left with 10 euro, gonna possibly do Cabrera and do a leader after round 1

From what I can see, each of the winners all the way back to Mike Weir made the cut the previous year before they won it.

Ugh K.J. Choi missed the cut last year, and I've already bet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

I fancy Jason Day myself, he missed out on last years Masters but the year before it he was runner up and has shown some nice form the past few months, 55/1 with Paddy Power.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

Nicolas Colsaerts looks a good e/w bet @ 90/1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Woods is a worthy favourite and 9/2 (in PP now, as well) is a fair price for a player with his Masters record. Besides Woods, my other fancies are Westwood @ 33/1 and Luke Donald @ 43/1, both on Betfair. Westwood would have won last year with better putting (his eternal achilles heel) and Donald is concentrating on the Majors this year, which may help him to improve his mediocre record.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Like Colsaerts as well. Big off the tee, and proved at Medinah that he doesn't shy from the big occasions. Hasn't been on top form this season though, so it's the type of bet that could keep me right in the mix, or bored for the weekend depending on how he's been prepping

Regardless of what is said about Harrington, his record in Majors is great, and 55 or 60/1 seems decent value. I'd sooner have him than Westwood, Poulter, Rose etc (all shorter prices).

• Registered Users Posts: 45,247 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

McIlroy 6/1 to miss the cut.

Think I'll have a tenner at least on that. He's not in great form the past few months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

rarnes1 wrote: »
    McIlroy 6/1 to miss the cut.

Think I'll have a tenner at least on that. He's not in great form the past few months.

8/1 available with Bet365 and Will Hill. Long shot though. Played well in his last tournament and finished 2nd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Joeyjoejoe43

I fancy Poulter and Scott... Had Bubba last year, so hopefully I'll be lucky again..

Mezcita wrote: »
    8/1 available with Bet365 and Will Hill. Long shot though. Played well in his last tournament and finished 2nd.
    Most recent major winner also.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

sypeons wrote: »
    If he's backing Tiger in play it won't really matter i'm guessing. Will probably be only backing him win only.

I have a shortlist of 13 at the moment, mostly golfers 100/1 plus who i think have a decent chance, are in decent form, have course form, or are simply overpriced. I'll obviously wont be backing all of these (hopefully!) but my main picks are Mickelson and Dustin Johnson.

I'll probably back Phil in play. Did the same mid way the first or second round last year, not sure which, and got him at 35s. A bit of luck needed on this one, need him to be in contention within a few shots and his price should open up a bit.

Think Johnson has a huge chance. Have him backed at 33s already as i thought his price would drop this week and it has to 30s and it may again before tee-off. Could have gotten him at 40s so a bit annoyed with that.

Others that i most probably will back are Dufner and McDowell who i think are overpriced at 66s and have good shots here.

Zack Johnson and Vijay are interesting bets also. 125/1 and 200/1 respectively. Former winners here and in good form towards the end of last year although not recently which is a worry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

My bets...

Rory win @ 9/1

Tiger win @ 9/2

Oosthuizen e/w @ 33/1

Dustin Johnson e/w @ 33/1

Cabrera e/w @ 100/1

Harrington 1st round leader e/w @ 55/1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Mickelson @ 12/1
    Furyk @ 80/1
    Cabrera @ 110/1
    Langer @ 500/1

Rory to miss the cut @ 7/1

• Registered Users Posts: 23,808 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

got 5s on tiger in lads today and backed
    mc ilroy at 11s as it seemed a big price

first time ever doing the fav in this one but I havent
    even been getting a run for my money lately on bigger
    priced ones and its been years since i got a major winner

• Registered Users Posts: 6 dadoflegends

Oosthuisen, Snedeker, Stenson ,bill hass, harrington,zach Johnson. Think Snedeker in with a great shout. serious putter in form and was placed in masters couple of years back. mike weir leader after rd1...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams

First round leader: Westwood @28/1,Ryan Moore @100/1

Betting w/o Woods,Mich and Rory :(Betpack)
    Mahan @40/1 e/w 5 places
    Moore @90/1 e/w 5 places
    P.Hanson @40 e/w 5 places
    Westwood win only @18/1

Already backed Kucher ante post win only.

Looking at Sandy Lyle's swing tonight 8/11 about a score of 86 or more is tempting me.(Betpack)

Top Dubutant : Scott Piercy @10/1

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭RQ2013

Think Johnson has a big tournament in him...

Also like the look of Day, Bradley & Haas

Olesen for top debutant for me.

And finally small bets on R1 leader on Bubba and Snedeker.

Snedeker is out early and has decent record of fast starts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭JLoftus

Fred Couples 13/8 to be the top senior player looks a great be to me! Going with a Large stake.

his last 3 years hes finished 12th, 15th and 6th.. his only real opposition:

1. Vijay Singh 27th, Missed cut, Missed cut.
    2. Bernhard Langer Missed cut, Missed cut, Missed cut.
    3. Tom Watson Missed cut, Missed cut, 18th.

Brandt Snedeker 1/3 to make the cut on Betfair. Potential big bet there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 seanog_athlone

Anyone get Steve Palmers tips in the Racing Post?

Anyone get Steve Palmers tips in the Racing Post?

Richard Sterne 150/1 (PP) https://twitter.com/sterndog29
    Keegan Bradeley
    Dustin Johnson
    Hunter Mahan
    Bubba Watson

BHfGqAxCcAExBC3.jpg:large

Hunter and Dustin I just don't see it. Obviously Sterne is there for the people who like to back an outsider but I feel that Palmer is just trying to go with an outsider that no one has thought of. Try Els 125/1 as an 'outsider'.

Cheers for that dont think his selections are up to much either this year im going to have a nice few quid on Rory and Poulter aswell

Cheers for that dont think his selections are up to much either this year im going to have a nice few quid on Rory and Poulter aswell

Rory has drifted in his odds but he is seriously good, although I didn't think he was great at the Valero last week, even the final day where he ended up in 2nd he wasn't great. Poulter's putting is phenomenal. And it is all about the putts at the end of the day; it isn't difficult to get up to the green! Medinah magic carrying on is what has influenced my bets on the English lads. But am itching to back Garcia, can't explain as I KNOW he bottles majors.

I have never been a part of the Johnson/Fowler/Bubba/Mahan reach around, and never will be. I view these lads as sort of a Nouveau Riche of golf! No more to say unless you want to convince me?!

What do you think about with Tiger? I really can't see this going to any other man, no matter how it may seem at times, but it is golf at then end of the day, i.e. unpredictable. Is my Tiger feeling based on nothing other than hope and nostalgia?

Phil; not taking the driver (more accurate with 3 wood) and loves, adores Augusta?

Scott: Stevie Williams, and has a great record here.

NOTE: All these players made the cut last year, and since Mike Weir in 2002 the winner made the cut the previous year. Don't tempt fate!

I agree with the Phil comment cannot see him been outside the top 10 minimum

Its going to go one of two ways for Tiger either he is in contention on Sunday or he has one of those weeks where it all goes horribly wrong for the lad.

Rory is the same since the switch to Nike you just dont know how he is going to play from one day to the next.

Another one who will go well is Rose can see him having a big week if his putter is on form

I agree with the Phil comment cannot see him been outside the top 10 minimum

Its going to go one of two ways for Tiger either he is in contention on Sunday or he has one of those weeks where it all goes horribly wrong for the lad.

Rory is the same since the switch to Nike you just dont know how he is going to play from one day to the next.

Another one who will go well is Rose can see him having a big week if his putter is on form

I think it is just so difficult to call but I haven't been this excited about a Masters in years! Everybody is brilliant and they are all competing with Tiger who may be back. It's almost like the Tiger of old, where he dominated and transformed the game, is now competing with those whom he influenced. If he doesn't win here he won't end up with the most majors ever. The people's champion;

Betting with my heart here I feel. Which means I'm not betting on him but want him to win!

Also, quite possibly the greatest marketing of a brand in any sport until the Red Bull Sky Dive with Felix Baumgartner. Nike didn't have to pay extra for that shot!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams

Rory has drifted in his odds but he is seriously good, although I didn't think he was great at the Valero last week, even the final day where he ended up in 2nd he wasn't great. Poulter's putting is phenomenal. And it is all about the putts at the end of the day; it isn't difficult to get up to the green! Medinah magic carrying on is what has influenced my bets on the English lads. But am itching to back Garcia, can't explain as I KNOW he bottles majors.

are you for real?please explain

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 786 ✭✭✭fangee

Right.

I have fancied Tiger for several months and I'm on at 13/2 since November.

I would normally have a couple of savers but I just don't see the point this time round.

Phil is the only other person I'd have an EW bet on as he loves it and is an unpredictable nutter but I don't think he can do it for 4 days.

As I go through the field I'm just putting lines through players.

For example, Dustin Johnson just can't win this event and should be 300/1 not 30/1.

Lee Westwood should be good round here but we all know he lacks the bottle.

Stricker and Snedeker would have been on my radar but have had recent injuries.

Kuchar will only win if left out in front. I don't like his lack of killer instinct/bottle.

I just think that nobody will touch Tiger.

Gimme a player and I'll give you my reason as to why I don't think he can win.

Garcia - bottle and putter.

Schwartzel has been in form but now seems to be running out of it.

Rory may give Tiger a run but it's unlikely with his current form/head space. Although at least he did hit some form last week but I don't think he'll do it over 4 days.

I just think that over the last 3 years it's been more unpredictable. Nobody stands out as bringing in good form or momentum this year.

I know there are a few players who MIGHT hit form this weekend and ARE capable of winning a Major ( Oosthuizen, Donald,Rory) but why take the risk.

Tiger must be one of the safest EW bets for a long long time ?

Advertisement