Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bates Motel [A&E - US] *Spoilers!*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Pre-empting Richard's "the pilot is out now" post!

Created by someone I've ever heard of (Anthony Cipriano) but Carlton Cuse ('Lost') and Kerry Ehrin ('Friday Night Lights') have producing credits.

I'm a big Hitchcock fan so will watch it.. but have mixed emotions on the whole thing.

That plus I don't think I"ve enjoyed a single series A&E have ever made.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Tindie

Just giving head up as this new Series, is not connected or a remake of the Bates Motel (TV 1987)!

This was quite decent actually..

.. two standout scenes - the
    quite grisly rape scene
    and
    Sheriff Richard Alpert in the bathroom

Definitely has promise!

• Registered Users Posts: 84,817 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The show was good, great performance from Vera Farmiga as Norma

BTW was it the mom or Norman who killed the dad?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭DeWitt

Vera Farmiga NEVER disappoints.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Found this surprising, it felt quite polished for a pilot particularly where the acting was concerned, as DeWitt said Vera Farmiga was great as always, I was a bit shocked to see Freddie Highmore in this role, I think simply because child actors are always ingrained in your mind as kids, I think he was quite good as well, I want to see more of him in this role.

I don't think I've ever seen a drama produced by AandE, don't they usually do reality shows? So for me like I said it was surprising in many ways. I will be watching curiously to see where this goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

DeWitt wrote: »
    Vera Farmiga NEVER disappoints.

She was very good as always, as was Freddie Highmore - I have never seen anything he was in as a child so no problems there.

Did seem a bit strange that Norman seems so popular with the ladies at his school, unless it's part of a typical 'befriend and then humiliate the nerd' story line, which is still possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

It was quite decent. For the most part it was actually excellent but some parts felt more polished than others. Still it was shot beautifully, great acting and some nice tension in certain scenes with enough creepy elements to do the subject matter justice. Looking forward to watching more.

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭squonk

Must watch! Is it a one off pilot or is the show regularly scheduled now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,445 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Regularly scheduled. My TV planner has 6 more episodes listed up to April 29th.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

squonk wrote: »
    Must watch! Is it a one off pilot or is the show regularly scheduled now?
    its a 10 part series, and it probably has potential to run for a few seasons,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

based on ratings alone, looking a sure thing for renewal.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Rabbit Heart

Started this the other night. The trailers did nothing for me, I thought it was another polished, shiny Hollywood show. It had that kinda look to it. But it seems to work. I enjoyed the first two episodes and I'm looking forward to seeing where they go with this.

I have to say though, seeing Norman Bates with an iPhone didnt look right :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭squonk

Yeah, for the first few minutes of the show, when I saw Norma's merc, I thought that the show was set back in the 50's again. I was kinda disappointed to see it was set in modern times but I've gotten used to it now.

Anyone downloaded the book yet from the US iTunes book store? Have it lined up to go on the iPad. It's great in that you get translations of the chinese writing. Have only thumbed through it so far. Must take a closer look at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,445 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Renewed for a 2nd season already. Looks like a hit!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Gonna give it a go. Never saw psycho. Should I know anything about him/that film (other than to go and watch it) going into this?

Should I know anything about him/that film (other than to go and watch it) going into this?
    Not really, and to say too much would spoil it.... but definitely give it a watch if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

I really liked the first three episodes. I'll be watching this one alright. Even though Nestor Carbonell is the sheriff he's quite a threatening character/presence. Two leads are really good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,751 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

caught up with this its really good, the show where someone burning in the mainsquare is incidental.

• Advertisement

Just caught up with the last two now.. very good actually!

Things are moving quite quickly, and the acting is definitely above par IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

bang up to date, really enjoying it.
    wondering
    what's the story with bradley? why hasnt she replied to text and phone calls? is she normans first victim?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭DeWitt

wondering
    what's the story with bradley? why hasnt she replied to text and phone calls? is she normans first victim?

She's a (popular)teenage girl?

DeWitt wrote: »
    She's a (popular)teenage girl?

Maybe it's that simple, and I'm reading too much into it. That scene in previous episode when Norman thinks he's talking to his mother, only for it to be part of his imagination, has me second guessing everything

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

wondering

My theory is that he was hallucinating while he did spend the night they never had sex and she has found his recent flurry of txts a bit creepy.

i hope the hole of the next episode isn't about the asian girl, going off the pyscho point a bit

i hope thw hole of the next episode isn't about the asian girl, going off the pyscho point a bit

Know what you mean. Seems to be one crazy town. A lot of potential psychos in it :-D

okay back too psycho, i wonder if she didn't kill her husband why they have her onscreen kill her rapist...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Still enjoying this a lot, mainly for Vera Farmiga and her craziness. The kid playing Norman is great too.

However found episode 8 & 9 (unintentionally?) amusing due to
    Juno the dog being stuffed and mounted, especially episode 9 where Norman has the dog on the bed. Bloody weirdo.

• Advertisement

Yeah, it's really held it's own throughout.

All the cast have been great but particularly Farmiga and Thieriot.

Advertisement