Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blanchardstown Centre - history of tenants

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

ongarboy wrote: »
    I seem to remember Penneys was only added about 10 years ago (with second floor added more recently) yet McDonalds/River Island etc were there from the beginning so what was in the massive unit prior to Penneys or was it just a walled off area?

It was just walled off. I don't even know if the building itself was there? There was McDonalds when you came in the door and then nothing until Warehouse (or maybe it's Oasis?).

• Registered Users Posts: 9 arigold365

Miss Starvin' Marvins that used to be were Eddie Rockets is

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I know there used to be something where Penneys was before it opened, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was, I was only a kid then.

Where the barbers is in the yellow entrance was also a sports memorabilia shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

Timbaland went into where D2 was or along there and lasted about 6 months I think, I remember looking at shoes in it when it opened and they were looking for €130 for a pair!!!

Also when Meteor moved across the mall to the larger shop the autographed sports memorabilia store went in the old small shop for a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

Doesnt seem to have been mentioned yet which is a suprise to me as it was probably one of the biggest tenants to leave the centre which attracted massive media attention and made national headlines for quite some time resulting in redundancies etc and the family who used to run it still make the news regularly. remember when quinn direct became liberty insurance,

• Advertisement

also forgive me if it has been mentioned already but what was in the unit before the westend barbers opened up?

triple-M wrote: »
    Doesnt seem to have been mentioned yet which is a suprise to me as it was probably one of the biggest tenants to leave the centre which attracted massive media attention and made national headlines for quite some time resulting in redundancies etc and the family who used to run it still make the news regularly. remember when quinn direct became liberty insurance,

I'd imagine it's not been mentioned because it's irrelevant to this thread. We're talking about tenants of the Blanchardstown Centre, Quinn owned that building, which is not part of the centre, therefore they weren't tenants.

I'd imagine it's not been mentioned because it's irrelevant to this thread. We're talking about tenants of the Blanchardstown Centre, Quinn owned that building, which is not part of the centre, therefore they weren't tenants.

Sure its more or less part of the centre you can go inside and make purchases just like any of the retailers,I wasnt aware QD owned that building I always assumed it belonged to green property

Sure its more or less part of the centre you can go inside and make purchases just like any of the retailers,I wasnt aware QD owned that building I always assumed it belonged to green property
    It was actually built for/by Dunnes Stores to be their headquarters but upon completion decided not to move in and sold it to Quinn

I wonder what will go into the unit where Light night club is,been told its closing down this weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

I wonder what will go into the unit where Light night club is,been told its closing down this weekend

Probably a new Sign saying

"RISQUE" New bar opening soon :p (lick of paint.....)

Dont know if this was mentioned before - All Rooms selling kitchen nic nac's and stuff used to be beside Champion sports downstairs

HMV might be reopening. They've been bought out and a lot of the UK stores are reopening. They're in negotiations with landlords about the Irish stores. Will be interesting to see if the Blanch guys will give them the new deals they're giving stores or try to keep them to their old deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

HMV might be reopening. They've been bought out and a lot of the UK stores are reopening. They're in negotiations with landlords about the Irish stores. Will be interesting to see if the Blanch guys will give them the new deals they're giving stores or try to keep them to their old deal.

Hopefully, they will reopen in the centre. I miss having no place to loiter when I need to kill time in the SC....saying that, that's no good to HMV if I'm not buying which I usually don't as I purchase everything online. :o Honestly, I can't see a place for physical music or film product in 2013 when you can easily download everything these days (the market that still buys physical is shrinking every year). I would still lament it's absence for nostalgic reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

The other half went to Evans in the Westend centre today to buy something for me only to find they've gone, and Dorothy Perkins too. Anyone know why? Such a pain in the backside, the only two left in Dublin now are Liffey Valley and Henry St.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,814 ✭✭✭jeffk

The other half went to Evans in the Westend centre today to buy something for me only to find they've gone, and Dorothy Perkins too. Anyone know why? Such a pain in the backside, the only two left in Dublin now are Liffey Valley and Henry St.

The rent is too high is the usual excuse,happened with the last evans.

Is the entire unit shut down (ie including Burtons?). I used to find that Burtons handier and less cramped than the one inside the SC. Although saying that, it seemed to be deserted anytime I went there.

Newbridge Silverware is moving to a larger unit to the left. I think in the unit that was briefly Timberland or Tom Tailor or both - can't keep up with the high turnover!

ongarboy wrote: »
    Is the entire unit shut down (ie including Burtons?). I used to find that Burtons handier and less cramped than the one inside the SC. Although saying that, it seemed to be deserted anytime I went there.

Newbridge Silverware is moving to a larger unit to the left. I think in the unit that was briefly Timberland or Tom Tailor or both - can't keep up with the high turnover!

He said the whole place was in darkness, so I presume that's Burton's gone too. I know they're all the same group.

Interesting about Newbridge, don't they already have a unit in the main centre upstairs?

Are Burton's, Evans and DP not still in the main centre? I can't keep up.

Are Burton's, Evans and DP not still in the main centre? I can't keep up.

No, they left the main centre (upstairs beside Dunnes) a couple of years ago & moved to a big unit in the Westend park. Can't believe they're gone, such a pain.

• Advertisement

No, they left the main centre (upstairs beside Dunnes) a couple of years ago & moved to a big unit in the Westend park. Can't believe they're gone, such a pain.

They didn't move, they had stores in both. I'm 99% sure I was looking at DP this morning and Burton's was open not that long ago. Not sure about Evans.

They didn't move, they had stores in both. I'm 99% sure I was looking at DP this morning and Burton's was open not that long ago. Not sure about Evans.

Oh! Apologies if so. Evans definitely moved a few years ago. The only one was in the Westend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I think DP and Burtons in the centre are still open.

Newbridge are moving to a bigger unit, not sure what it used to be. Can't keep up any longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭uli84

ah no, that Dorothy Perkins store was fabulous, superb bargains there every time I went, the one in the centre is soooo tiny :(

They were threatening to pull out of the centre a while back if they didn't get lower rents. I guess they must have got what they were after because they're still there. Perhaps they played the centre management off against the West End management and the centre gave them the better deal?

Interesting about Newbridge, don't they already have a unit in the main centre upstairs?

Sorry, I meant Newbridge relocating to a bigger unit to the left of their existing unit in the main SC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Nolimits

They were threatening to pull out of the centre a while back if they didn't get lower rents. I guess they must have got what they were after because they're still there. Perhaps they played the centre management off against the West End management and the centre gave them the better deal?

It's my understanding that due to the law being ****ed up over here it's not legal to lower rents. I remember Declan on the currys board talking about it.

Nolimits wrote: »
    It's my understanding that due to the law being ****ed up over here it's not legal to lower rents. I remember Declan on the currys board talking about it.

I'm pretty sure you can renegotiate your rents when your contracts are up for renewal, which I think was the case with these stores. Could be wrong, I won't fight you on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

I've noticed some of the long-term tenants (who presumably had their leases expire at the same time) have swapped premises. At a guess it's because a 'new' lease is much cheaper than a renewal.

Can't think of a concrete example off hand, but definitely noticed it over the last year or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

I'm pretty sure you can renegotiate your rents when your contracts are up for renewal, which I think was the case with these stores. Could be wrong, I won't fight you on it.

Most leases will be for an extended period of time with rent reviews every 5 years. Most of the leases in Blanchardstown will be 25 years.

The rent reviews will be (With the exception of very new leases) be upward only and it will be up to the landlord to grant any reduction. It is not possible to just leave a lease as you will be responsible for the term remaining on it.

All that said, Blanchardstown is still a successful centre which has weathered the recession pretty well especially compared to many other centres.

Advertisement